Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: Gay crackdown in Kuala Lumpur?

Banned
    Liked

Gay crackdown in Kuala Lumpur?

There was a police raid on the well-known KL gay bar Blue Boy on the weekend. Authorities report that the 1:30am raid affected 100 punters who were inside, some of them tourists. Twenty of those arrested have been ordered to go to counseling. The Federal Territories Minister has said it was specifically a gay-motivated raid:

“The government is very serious in dealing with this radical belief. Hopefully this initiative can mitigate the LGBT culture from spreading into our society,” the statement, which describes the venue as a “famous gay club,” said. It also outlined that authorities were acting in order to “mitigate LGBTQ+ culture from spreading into our society.”

https://coconuts.co/kl/news/authorit...ture-dpm-says/

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: Gay crackdown in Kuala Lumpur?

Thanks for sharing, my mate is heading there this weekend so I'll be sure to pass on - not that that will stop him going there anyway.

Unfortunately these harassing raids have been going on for years now, more usually around election time, but you can just see and feel the noose slowly starting to tighten more and more now around the necks of the LGBT community there in KL and Malaysia generally and the Government now very openly saying whilst you can "be" gay ( and need treatment for that) you can't ACTUALLY "BE" gay and if caught you'll be going to jail. I fear it's the start of a slippery slope for LGBT people there. And now the next problem is do you STOP going to KL / Malaysia in protest at the Governments actions or is that playing right into their hands and so if anything we should be going MORE to show support to ( Blue Boy) and the LGBT community there perhaps !?

Liked

The worst legacy of the British Empire was to leave these places with repressive legislation that has never been repealed.

4. User who gave Like to post:

paborn (August 22nd, 2018)

Banned
    Liked

The hysteria has already begun in the chattering classes - now it's state-sponsored homophobia according to quotes in The Grauniad. "The general election in May has been celebrated for ushering in a new era, but the new government’s first 100 days in power have been marked by increased discrimination, harassment and violent hate crime against the LGBT community." The new government is the one shortly to be headed up by convicted sodomite Anwar; perhaps Mad Mahathir is already firing warning shots across the bows. Like everything else in Asia (don't forget "face") and in politics generally, we'll never really know

Forum's veteran
    Liked

I doubt it's so much as hysteria as fact unfortunately. On a Malaysian Airlines flight the other week I was reading an internal article about Malaysia where one of the local political leaders was damanding action over the increase in "gays" and asking for more draconian laws to be issued under Sharia law etc, a more moderate voice spoke up to criticise him and remind him that the constitution allowed people to be gay.....I thought "thank goodness for the moderates" - only to go on reading him say about 'although even thought it's allowed they must not have sex, should not be given job opportunities, should be shunned and removed from local villages and basically anything at all possible short of murdering them to discourage the practice from spreading in the Country" - and that was a MODERATE talking :-(

As I siad above I think Malaysia is going down the pan for LGTB people just now and I cant see it improving anyway soon.

7. User who gave Like to post:

paborn (August 22nd, 2018)