Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Narcissism and the modern Western male

Banned
    Liked

Narcissism and the modern Western male

I've just finished reading a great opinion piece (by a woman) about the self-absorption of the modern male. Don't get me wrong; I like the look of a nice young man - Ruairi O'Connor topless in Delicious, for example (I had to be revived with smelling salts). But done to excess? I think not. Here are some memorable quotes from a piece that contains many witty observations:

"Young men are drinking less alcohol, smoking less and, oddly, having less sex, perhaps because sex involves focusing on someone else."
    "Veganism is on trend because it is slimming and ethical — never mind that it makes you a bore at parties."
    "We are witnessing a very 21st-century asceticism. No real sacrifice involved, just a new exciting set of powders and pills to order on Amazon Prime, while you have earnest conversations about the dangers of our consumer culture."

Read and enjoy - https://www.spectator.co.uk/2018/08/...f-improvement/

Liked

Re: Narcissism and the modern Western male

What a great article!

The comment about Lewis Hamilton "going 'plant-based' because of his fears for the planet" is particularly ironic, given that his job involves introducing enormous amounts of harmful carbon emissions into the atmosphere!

As for vegans, there is a group who appear every weekend in a downtown shopping mall. They stand in a circle next to a large banner displaying their beliefs, holding laptops depicting the cruelty we inflict on animals. How dare we kill them for our own selfish desires!

A month or so ago I was accosted by one of them - a pale, wrinkled, decidedly sickly-looking woman in her twenties extolling to me the virtues of her lifestyle. I immediately noticed that she was wearing a pendant on a woven leather cord. I then looked down to see what the protesters were wearing on their feet and surprise surprise - many of them were wearing leather shoes!

On pointing out the blatant hypocrisy, her only defence -after a long, embarrassing silence- was that they had all bought their leather products before they had embraced veganism and considered it a waste of money to dispose of them.

Hypocrites, one and alł! Some people have way too much time on their hands.

3. 4 Users gave Like to post:

arsenal (August 12th, 2018), frequent (August 12th, 2018), paborn (August 12th, 2018), splinter1949 (August 13th, 2018)

Banned
    Liked

The best response, I find, to someone who admits to vegetarianism or - worse - veganism in conversation is to reply "Oh I am sorry". I do confess however to not eating meat every day, but that's on the basis that the health benefits of such a practice seem to have some basis in evidence eg. Michael Mosley's series "Trust me, I'm a doctor". Mosley by the way regularly exposes the foolishness of certain health fads. A recent one I saw was the craze for "Manuka Honey". It's been a wonderful marketing ploy by the NZers, but that's all it is from a health perspective - marketing. Manuka honey has no advantages over any other honey. I also learned that the optimal portion of meat is the size of the palm of your hand, which clearly shows most of us eat too much of it, and if we cook it in oil we should be using olive oil and not any other oil

https://docuwiki.net/index.php?title...ctor:_Series_4

Liked

For diet fads, I always love when people are gluten free, because they seen it on Dr. Oz or whatever celebritiy.

Banned
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by cdnmatt View Post
    For diet fads, I always love when people are gluten free, because they seen it on Dr. Oz or whatever celebritiy.
    A friend of mine who runs a cafe in a Western country is utterly cynical about this fad (and the "organic" fad as well). He buys whatever he needs from the local supermarket, has a sign in the window of his cafe that reads "organic & gluten-free" (the sign is indeed organic and gluten-free), charges absolutely premium prices, is never short of customers and has never been challenged in the four years he's been doing it. When asked about his suppliers he taps the side of his nose and gives a "knowing" look

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by frequent View Post
    He buys whatever he needs from the local supermarket, has a sign in the window of his cafe that reads "organic & gluten-free" (the sign is indeed organic and gluten-free), charges absolutely premium prices, is never short of customers and has never been challenged in the four years he's been doing it. When asked about his suppliers he taps the side of his nose and gives a "knowing" look
    It will lasts until one of his customers will die cuz of allergy on gluten. Last part of his life your friend will spend in the jail.
    Bali (Indonesia), Cambodia, Myanmar, Philippines, Thailand, Vietnam and Laos: gay guides and companions http://siamroads.com

8. 2 Users gave Like to post:

Andaman! (August 12th, 2018), gerefan2 (August 13th, 2018)

Banned
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    It will lasts until one of his customers will die cuz of allergy on gluten.
    https://www.medpagetoday.com/allergy.../allergy/15972. No-one has ever died from an allergic reaction to gluten, and I suspect no-one has ever been gaoled for such a trivial offence. It would be easy enough to blame "a supplier" for a "random fault" and at worst there'd be some sort of trivial fine or slap on the wrist. Being an old poof from the days when same-sex activity was a crime he's done a well-researched risk assessment

10. User who gave Like to post:

paborn (August 12th, 2018)

Liked

Methinks Frequent's 'friend' is something of a tall tale. There is a,noticeable difference between normal and gluten free products.

Liked

Arsenal I'm not so sure. The "noticieable difference" is that gluten free products are often tasteless. But, people told they are eating gluten free ( the people who actually need this is a tiny percent of the population - the rest are cranks ) and like the taste are likely to believe it.

I recall working, years ago, out of an office that was in a heavily Jewish area. There was a Kosher pizza joint that served good stuff. The Rabbi's wife grew suspicious ( knew it tasted too good ?) investigated and they were using non-kosher heese. OMG!! The scandal, the ritual cleansings! Soon, the place was Kosher again, under new owners, and the pizza was, again, lousy.

Point is until the customers found out they loved it.

13. 2 Users gave Like to post:

frequent (August 13th, 2018)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

or MAYBE they were all fully aware and working on the if we don't ask dont tell - just put a kosher sign up and we'll all act dumb - until the bloody nosey do gooder Rabbi's wife went and stuck her nose into things and fucked the game up for EVERYONE it seems !

I was also going to also comment on the thread in general about Narcissism and the modern western male - which probably doesn't exist but as I didn't think they were talking directly about me personally anyway when discussing western males I've decided not to bother as what's the point if it's not all about me anyway in the first place..........

15. User who gave Like to post:

frequent (August 13th, 2018)