I'm currently in the process of 50/50 debating doing a last minute "cheapy" trip to / in and around New York for 6 nights in September with my BF for his birthday.

I say a cheapy trip as Norwegian have just announced a direct flight from my local airport for £100 each way including taxes ! ( crazy right).

It does fly into Newburgh / Stewart airport which I understand is a ways out, BUT I'm reading that they've a very good bus connection organised for all flights there and that you can be in Time Square in around an hour and a half - which depending on traffic is no worse than some of the more central airports perhaps anyway - and even if not, it's still not "that" bad.

It's been maybe 7 or 8 years since I was last in NY City and can remember very little about it or my trip, I know I stayed before on a high floor in the New Yorker hotel but looking up that again and on looking up hotels in Manhattan in general I've realised that my "cheapy trip" might end up as anything BUT as a typical hotel there seems to be punching in at around £250-300 a night and up ! ( Fuck that and NO WAY !)

So, without getting into an massive detail I just thought it was worth the ask / question in case anyone knows of any more sensible options ( of which I'm guessing DONT stay in Manhattan is the obvious one of course and stay outside and tube it in ) - but my knowledge of NY is now almost zero, so any suggestions ( blindingly obvious or otherwise) would be appreciated.

I have looked up Air bnb's and Mister Bnb's ( the gay version) and they do have options there too but without knowing much about neighbourhoods and locations I'm working blind there a bit and so dont think I'd take the chance of getting it wrong perhaps and spending half my time commuting in and out of NY centre.

So, asking just in case anyone knows any nugget of information or "here's a place I stayed before and it's close in and cheap etc" - worth a short.

So, any help gratefully received as it's either that or my Bf is suggesting NICE in France instead !! ??? ( Which I'm assuming is simply as there's a cheap easyjet flight to there ).

Likewise ANY other location suggestions elsewhere in the world all taken on board re anywhere else too of course as I'm totally undecided ( even as to whether I can be bothered going ANYWHERE or not truth be told, but this being his BF I suppose I'll have to make "some" effort ( or at least be SEEN to perhaps as he kindly took me away for my BD earlier in the year

So, NY then - any thoughts, ideas or suggestions guys that don't cost the earth perhaps ?