List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New York City ( Central ) Hotel / accommodation suggestions ??

Forum's veteran
    Liked

New York City ( Central ) Hotel / accommodation suggestions ??

I'm currently in the process of 50/50 debating doing a last minute "cheapy" trip to / in and around New York for 6 nights in September with my BF for his birthday.

I say a cheapy trip as Norwegian have just announced a direct flight from my local airport for £100 each way including taxes ! ( crazy right).

It does fly into Newburgh / Stewart airport which I understand is a ways out, BUT I'm reading that they've a very good bus connection organised for all flights there and that you can be in Time Square in around an hour and a half - which depending on traffic is no worse than some of the more central airports perhaps anyway - and even if not, it's still not "that" bad.

It's been maybe 7 or 8 years since I was last in NY City and can remember very little about it or my trip, I know I stayed before on a high floor in the New Yorker hotel but looking up that again and on looking up hotels in Manhattan in general I've realised that my "cheapy trip" might end up as anything BUT as a typical hotel there seems to be punching in at around £250-300 a night and up ! ( Fuck that and NO WAY !)

So, without getting into an massive detail I just thought it was worth the ask / question in case anyone knows of any more sensible options ( of which I'm guessing DONT stay in Manhattan is the obvious one of course and stay outside and tube it in ) - but my knowledge of NY is now almost zero, so any suggestions ( blindingly obvious or otherwise) would be appreciated.

I have looked up Air bnb's and Mister Bnb's ( the gay version) and they do have options there too but without knowing much about neighbourhoods and locations I'm working blind there a bit and so dont think I'd take the chance of getting it wrong perhaps and spending half my time commuting in and out of NY centre.

So, asking just in case anyone knows any nugget of information or "here's a place I stayed before and it's close in and cheap etc" - worth a short.

So, any help gratefully received as it's either that or my Bf is suggesting NICE in France instead !! ??? ( Which I'm assuming is simply as there's a cheap easyjet flight to there ).

Likewise ANY other location suggestions elsewhere in the world all taken on board re anywhere else too of course as I'm totally undecided ( even as to whether I can be bothered going ANYWHERE or not truth be told, but this being his BF I suppose I'll have to make "some" effort ( or at least be SEEN to perhaps as he kindly took me away for my BD earlier in the year

So, NY then - any thoughts, ideas or suggestions guys that don't cost the earth perhaps ?

Liked

Re: New York City ( Central ) Hotel / accommodation suggestions ??

I myself have not been in NYC for 7 years. Howeveer, I did work there and often would stay in Jersey City or Hoboken. Hoboken is right on the water and a number of hotels are minutes from the PATH station - about 5 minutes under the river to lower manhatten. Jersey city hotels that are near Exchange place can work as well as that station is the one before the path to Manhatten - in other words one stop back. It is a pricey town but New Jersey is cheaper and it is August.

Liked

If you will consider short haul I rate Sitges/Barcelona

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Thanks Isaanguy - and you're spot on there, except that's out standard "go to" place which we're never away from and also my BF is actually heading off to Barcelona this weekend actually himself, so.....this time, no, I need to spread my wings it seems - but thanks, good suggestion none the less.

5. User who gave Like to post:

Isaanguy (August 9th, 2018)

Banned
    Liked

If accommodation costs are the primary consideration and destinations a secondary one, have you considered sites like University Rooms or (I'm serious) Monastery Stays?

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Ha I'm glad you added the "I'm serious" part or I'd of been laughing - and no, I haven't considered that - I DID actually look at a YMCA ! ( more for the fun....until I actually looked at it and seen shared dorms and toilets and stuff......for 6 days I'm getting too old for all that crap. I will look at your links just out of interest actually.

To be clear it's not that I particularly need or want to scrimp and do it on the real cheap (although even better if I can! ) but just on checking Manhatten hotels the prices are just plain silly like 300 and 400 a night and whilst I'm not adverse to blowing money sometimes that's just daft to me when you're not even in the hotel that much - plus the hotels aren't even anything special anyway.

I see on checking around more the simple answer does seem to be stay a few miles out and in the various neighbourhoods such as Queens etc and use the subway, so that might be the answer. But as my geographical knowledge of NY is about zero I'll need to go and do a bit of google reading perhaps. The other option is screw NY and their crazy prices ( and shitty attitudes) and just go somewhere else perhaps, either in the US or just elsewhere in Europe I guess.

So, far my online searching this morning has only led to me booking two tickets to the theatre tomorrow night here to see Evita - which i had NO intention of doing when I sat down to my computer ! See, who says that targeted email campaigns dont work eh, I just wish they wouldn't send me them whilst I'm on line in the middle of trying to blow money on other stuff first !

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by frequent View Post
    If accommodation costs are the primary consideration and destinations a secondary one, have you considered sites like University Rooms or (I'm serious) Monastery Stays?
    Actually now that I look at that Monastery site I wish i had of found that for my recent trip to Italy as I just might have used it !! Some stunning locations and very cheap too - and "not' a run down monastery "cell" but modern rooms and open to all ( not just sure HOW all they mean there though - I'd like to put that to the test perhaps - So, good find there Frequent, I might just add one of those to my to do list someday !

Banned
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Nirish guy View Post
    Actually now that I look at that Monastery site I wish i had of found that for my recent trip to Italy as I just might have used it !! Some stunning locations and very cheap too - and "not' a run down monastery "cell" but modern rooms and open to all ( not just sure HOW all they mean there though - I'd like to put that to the test perhaps - So, good find there Frequent, I might just add one of those to my to do list someday !
    I fear that my mention of Stays has probably “done for” SG

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Nirish guy View Post
    The other option is screw NY and their crazy prices ( and shitty attitudes) and just go somewhere else perhaps, either in the US or just elsewhere in Europe I guess.

Id suggest Austria, somewhere near Salzburg. There are some stunning castles and houses where you can stay just outside the city. Rent a car and drive to the South for some absolutely beautiful scenery. Visit Berchesgaden and Hitlers Eagles Nest. Not far at all. Take a few cable car rides to the top of some high mountains and visit restaurants while admiring the views.

Dont go in August, as most of Europe is on holiday then. Mid September would be fine and the weather will still be good.

Even consider the Sound of Music tours!

11. 3 Users gave Like to post:

Jellybean (August 9th, 2018), Nirish guy (August 9th, 2018), paborn (August 9th, 2018)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by gerefan2 View Post
    I'd suggest Austria, somewhere near Salzburg . . . Even consider the Sound of Music tours!
    What a great suggestion gerefan2!

Surely I cannot be the only member who was instantly able to picture NIrish-guy following in the footsteps of Julie Andrews and recreating the moment she sings:

The hills are alive, with the sound of music
    (ah a a ah)
    (ah a a ah)
    (ah a a ah)
    (ah a a ah)
    My heart wants to sigh like a chime that flies...
    from a church on a breeze
    To laugh like a brook when it trips and falls over
    Stones, on its way
    On its way
    To sing through the night like a lark who is learning to pray . . .

Movie clip from the The Sound of Music:
    https://youtu.be/AePRD1Ud3Lw

13. User who gave Like to post:

paborn (August 9th, 2018)