Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where's Traveller Jim?

Banned
    Liked

Re: Where's Traveller Jim?

Quote Originally Posted by Smiles View Post
    More likely: trying to figure out the 60 ways to kiss Trump's formidable ass/ego.
    I'm still slightly entertained by his last breathless thread, posting a rumour that then became discredited, and all from the Whiners' Paradise, Thaivisa

Liked

And once again...Dear Smiles
    From a respected Thai Visa Advice forum on facebook...this was posted:

"An American friend in Chiang Mai less than a week ago went to Thai Immigration to get another Retirement Visa with all required documents he's used for years and was denied. The refusal was based on not having documents to support the Financial Verification Statement from the U.S. Consulate. He was told if his monthly income is from the government he needs to have Social Security monthly statements and support for any other sources.
    Have others also experienced this recently?
    If this is a new interpretation of the Financial Statement be forwarned before you submit it in Chiang Mai."

Tod Daniels ...the expat expert on Thai visa advice also posted in reply:

"The reports I read seemed to show that it is NOT being enforced 100% of the time and in fact is rather hit or miss on if they will ask for proof to back up the notarized income letter.
    I would heed the advice I give to everyone using the notarized affidavit of income from abroad letter from their consulate to meet the financial requirements DON'T put anything down on the letter you can't back up with documentation."

I share this as some may be using Chiang Mai Immigration. Be prepared to support your income affidavit letter you got from the US Embassy.

Tj
    Tj

Liked

Jim, I've, often, been accused of over planning and while I'll admit to a bit of that; I just think logistics and forward planning is crucial to a smooth, stress-free life. During my consulting years I secured a six-sigma black belt and, trust, me I looked at retirement in Thailand and decided against it.
    Why? This sort of thing - in much of the world- is the reason I stayed at home. There is an old traveler axiom that the amount of bureaucratic paperwork and obscure regulations is in inverse proportion to the country's position in the developed world.
    I cringed when I thought of having to, in my declining years, manage this tangled web of the developing world. It is a lot easier to visit, true I'd like to be there more often but I can navigate my world much better than there's. If, when buying a house I need to arrange a corporation to own it and issue share because as a non-Thai I can't own the sacred soil of the land I have chosen to live in tells me all I need to know about the security of my retirement.

4. 5 Users gave Like to post:

bobsaigon2 (August 11th, 2018), christianpfc (August 14th, 2018), scottish-guy (August 11th, 2018), sglad (August 12th, 2018), travelerjim (August 12th, 2018)

Liked

Just accept that as a foreigner you are, on the face of it, tolerated but you're basically unwelcome as a resident in Thailand.

It's a bit like England - except it no longer even pretends to tolerate foreigners, or indeed non-white Brits

6. 3 Users gave Like to post:

bobsaigon2 (August 11th, 2018), frequent (August 12th, 2018), paborn (August 12th, 2018)

Liked

Or the whinging chippy Scots who blame England for all of their self inflicted woes.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by paborn View Post
    Why? This sort of thing - in much of the world- is the reason I stayed at home. There is an old traveler axiom that the amount of bureaucratic paperwork and obscure regulations is in inverse proportion to the country's position in the developed world.
    paborn, I do believe you are overstating the complexities of retiring in Thailand. For me it has been EZ-PZ as it has been with so many others.

9. 2 Users gave Like to post:

Smiles (August 12th, 2018), travelerjim (August 12th, 2018)

Liked

I might be. However, my concern was for my declining years. I'm old, but not yet in any mental decline - it happens - could I handle it in a language I haven't mastered, in a writing that confuses the helll out of me, etc. Could I do it now? why yes, of course - but when is that no longer viable. I hope I always remain as able as I am now, but who's to say? The first stage of decline is not recognizing it - denial. Oh well, I made my choice and I'm comfortable with it. I sincerely hope you continue to find it easy and smooth.

11. 3 Users gave Like to post:

seenus (August 12th, 2018), sglad (August 12th, 2018), travelerjim (August 12th, 2018)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    paborn, I do believe you are overstating the complexities of retiring in Thailand. For me it has been EZ-PZ as it has been with so many others.
    In fact, it has been so easy for francois that they have created a new traveller axiom in his honour: as easy as meatloaf and Mont Clair.

paborn, I happen to agree with francois that you have perhaps overstated the complexities of living in Thailand. I say this with the caveat that I speak and read Thai fairly well and have a large network of Thai friends that I can depend on if I really needed to. That said, if your posts are any indication of your temperament and personality, I feel that you'd be able to navigate life in Thailand fairly easily. I also admire your sense of independence in wanting to do and understand things yourself unlike so many other farang who tend to delegate the management of their daily lives to Thais whom they often barely know and to their own detriment as a consequence. I learned a lot in my year in Thailand as I'm naturally curious and always want to know what's going on around me and manage things myself. My Thai friends and teachers were there for me as a last resort.

13. User who gave Like to post:

travelerjim (August 12th, 2018)

Liked

" things yourself unlike so many other farang who tend to delegate the management of their daily lives to Thais whom they often barely know and to their own detriment as a consequence"

This is exactly, what I wanted to avoid., it seldom ends well. I might have a tone deaf ear, but the tonality of Thai defeats me. If I know the word I can't pronouce it. Anyway, who knows? I might end up in Thailand , still only 68 - lots of time - one hopes........

15. 2 Users gave Like to post:

sglad (August 12th, 2018), travelerjim (August 12th, 2018)

Banned
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by scottish-guy View Post
    Just accept that as a foreigner you are, on the face of it, tolerated but you're basically unwelcome as a resident in Thailand.
    And almost alone in the region, you will have to apply to have your "residence" renewed every year (Cambodia aside, but frankly who would want to live there) even if you're married to a Thai national