List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: A new travel option for UK members?

Banned
    Liked

A new travel option for UK members?

Liked

Re: A new travel option for UK members?

It seems like a good deal but a quick reccie on trip.com provides multiple flights from London to Bangkok in October for about $500.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quite...why would I want to go via Germany ( no doubt at extra cost, with only 2 days notice) when I can happily go direct from Heathrow?

Liked

Lucky you Gerefan - but direct flights are not an option for the overwhelming majority of UK airports (there's only 2, maybe 3 UK airports doing direct flights to Thailand).

What would put me off this "lucky dip" idea isn't an indirect flight per se, but the length of the layover you'd be "allocated" with no option to change/challenge it. Could easily be in excess of 24 hours.

5. User who gave Like to post:

poshglasgow (August 7th, 2018)

Liked

I was tempted by the Austrian Airways flights. Over £100 cheaper than EVA for premium economy plus overnight in both directions, which is a nice bonus. Short layover too.

However, it was only a 25 minute layover on the outbound leg and I figure that is insane for any flight originating in Heathrow. The chances of me or my luggage not making it are too high.

Has anyone tried this ?

Liked

Goji. I managed a 50 minute changeover in Hong Kong with Cathay Pacific. However I only had a piece of hand luggage. After booking the flight I e-mailed Cathay and told them that I'd misread it as 1 hour and 50 minutes and it was entirely my fault and how worried I was. They had someone meet me at the plane and rush me through to the next one. 25 minutes is virtually impossible, you couldn't change London Underground trains in that time.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by goji View Post
    I was tempted by the Austrian Airways flights. Over £100 cheaper than EVA for premium economy plus overnight in both directions, which is a nice bonus. Short layover too.

However, it was only a 25 minute layover on the outbound leg and I figure that is insane for any flight originating in Heathrow. The chances of me or my luggage not making it are too high.

Has anyone tried this ?

I flew on Austrian Airways from Heathrow to BKK many years ago with a very short 35 min changeover in VIE.

It worked - VIE is pretty small and very easy to changover - but it was not conducive to an anxiety free trip

Forum's veteran
    Liked

I don’t know why airlines schedule and sell such a short turn rounds...surely not many people willingly take up such an offer, and if the connection is not made then the airline is presumably responsible for any subsequent problems.

Last year I bought a ticket to BKK with a 1.30 hour change in Dubai. They knew it was short and had a separate bus waiting at the steps (remote parking as always at Dubai) and took all the BKK pax direct to the next aircraft.

Incidentally it was an A380 so had about 500 passengers on board which required 10 buses!

Liked

In future I will be very wary of short time transfers.
    Last summer I flew with Qatar Barcelona to Bangkok via Doha with a one hour transfer.
    The flight from Barcelona was 20 minutes late, passengers for BKK were met off the plane and run through the airport which as an older gent left me gasping for air and breathless.
    My checked bag didn't make it but it was delivered to my Bangkok Hotel about 10 hours later.

Banned
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Isaanguy View Post
    In future I will be very wary of short time transfers.
    Last summer I flew with Qatar Barcelona to Bangkok via Doha with a one hour transfer.
    The flight from Barcelona was 20 minutes late, passengers for BKK were met off the plane and run through the airport which as an older gent left me gasping for air and breathless.
    My checked bag didn't make it but it was delivered to my Bangkok Hotel about 10 hours later.
    Why the need to be wary then?