List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alcohol restrictions from TONIGHT.(Thursday 26th July)

Liked

Exclamation Alcohol restrictions from TONIGHT.(Thursday 26th July)

This weekend will have some restrictions due to two Buddha days being adjacent (Asalha Bucha and Buddhist Lent) and coinciding with the king's birthday.

There will be restrictions on the sale of alcohol from midnight this Thursday (tonight) till midnight on Saturday.

Before and after that, sales as normal.

Saturday is the birthday of the king and Monday has been declared a holiday in lieu, but no restrictions are expected.

During the restricted times, bars may be closed or open for soft drinks only. This depends on the local police and bars are often not informed till the day before.

Further to my post earlier:
    From today's NATION: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/ ... s/30350856

Police will strictly enforce the ban on liquor and beer sales on Asanha Bucha (July 27) and Buddhist Lent, Royal Thai Police deputy spokesman Pol Col Krissana Pattanacharoen said.
    He said Police Commissioner General Pol Gen Chakthip Chaijinda had instructed chiefs of the nine provincial bureaux and Metropolitan Police Bureau to be strict about the ban on Friday and Saturday.Although Thailand is a secular society, the sale of alcoholic drinks is banned at department stores,
    convenience stores and entertainment venues on Buddhist national holidays.The ban goes onto effect at 12.01am on Friday and remains in place through midnight Sunday.
    I suspect that "Through midnight Sunday" really means 'until midnight on Saturday'.

Liked

Re: Alcohol restrictions from TONIGHT.(Thursday 26th July)

'No alcohol days' used to simply mean that while BT adhered to it, the coffee mugs would come out in certain Sunee bars in place of glasses.

I always experienced a frisson when this happened - it was like being a naughty boy again

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by scottish-guy View Post
    d - it was like being a naughty boy again

Yes I recall being caught by the BIB at one bar, then finding another bar only to be raided by the same police again.
    All good natured in those days.

4. User who gave Like to post:

scottish-guy (July 26th, 2018)

Liked

Didnt know about this ban, I have scored a very reasonable ticket deal yesterday for a quick getaway till Sunday. Oh well just my luck hopefully by keeping a sober mind will help me choose a better boy

6. User who gave Like to post:

Patanawet (July 26th, 2018)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Probably why the ticket was avaialable Dimsum!
    Always worth checking the bar closures before travelling to Thailand. There are quite a few websites that list them including Gaybutton.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Patanawet View Post
    Yes I recall being caught by the BIB at one bar, then finding another bar only to be raided by the same police again.
    All good natured in those days.
    I recall sitting at one bar in Sunee drinking whisky from a coffee cup, only to look across at the facing bar to see 2 BIB officers sitting down, each drinking a bottle of beer.

Of course, as is always the case, no money changed hands for their drinks when they left.

As you say, the good old days. We'll never see those times again.

9. User who gave Like to post:

Patanawet (July 26th, 2018)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Tonight opposite Green (white) chairs, Doubleshot and Come In bar etc...Only another 2 night’s to go...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Liked

My Thursday night flight got delayed so I only made it downtown after midnight. I didn't expect much tomorrow/today as I have been told every joint will be closed for the Buddha Lent weekend. Went over to Nature Boy at 01:30 and saw that young manager cleaning up the place. He was being kind and called back the boys who have just left. I had my own party with 3 boys naked behind the locked doors. Oh well, spent a bit more than I expected but that's the good old Bangkok days that I missed:dirty, sleazy, shamless yet with their sweetest innocent smile and wai afterwards. Perhaps it is not that big of a mistake to come here during the Lent weekend after all

12. 2 Users gave Like to post:

bobsaigon2 (July 27th, 2018), poshglasgow (July 29th, 2018)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Disum... I suspect you were lucky to arrive on the first night of closures.

I suspect worse is to come this evening (Friday) and Saturday.

Liked

Last night was a quiet night in Silom soi 4 with Balcony being the only open bar (soft drinks and food only).
    Twilight and Patpong 2 completely closed -- eerily dark.
    Tonight I suspect that a lot more bars will be open with soft drinks only, then normal service after midnight.
    Last night Balcony announced that all soft drinks and food will be at 25% discount 6 till midnight today (Saturday) -- then service as normal .
    From midnight till 02:00, two nights partying to make up for.