Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thai Immigration Chiang Mai requiring proof of income

Liked

Thai Immigration Chiang Mai requiring proof of income

As reported on Thai visa
    https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic...r-us-citizens/
    ..be aware that the Chiang Mai Thai Immigration office is now requiring proof of income when applying for Extension of Stay ...the retirement visa. They no longer SOLELY accept the Affidavit of Income notarized letter from US Embassy or others.

"Leave it up to Immigration here in Chiang Mai to make it harder for a U.S. Citizen to get or re-apply for a retirement visa. Yesterday afternoon they up and changed the rules for showing proof of income. How besides that $50 rip off form from the U.S. Consulate you have to show where the money came from. You must provide poof of that money. In typical Thai fashion there was no prior notice to anyone. On Monday it was the normal procedure and those at Immigration early on Tuesday had no problem but then, Bam, the rules changed. Guys were caught at Promenada without that proof and were turned away. Needless to say there was quite a lot of really piss..ed off people. I found about this only two hours ago when I went to Assist Thai Visa to begin my renewal process. They never received any prior warning from Immigration and could only tell me what was now required. In my case I have to provide bank statements showing money deposited monthly into to account"

Tod Daniels is an expat expert on Immigration issues in Thailand...group is Thai visa advice.
    Tod posted this in reply....

"And at this time that is ONLY in Chiang Mai, not at any other immigration office.

Be advised that if you're using the affidavit of income from abroad letter from your consulate in Chiang Mai that you take proof with you to show the amount on the letter is backed up by something.

So in an effort NOT to start a sh*t-storm of conjecture or speculation of what is or isn't going to happen, I'm gonna close commenting on it."

Tj

Tj

Liked

Re: Thai Immigration Chiang Mai requiring proof of income

Sure sucks when they change immigration law / regulations on you, doesn't it?

3. User who gave Like to post:

travelerjim (July 12th, 2018)

Liked

"Sure sucks when they change immigration law / regulations on you"

There has been no change in the law or regulations. Immigration has always made it clear that they can and sometimes do require additional financial proof.

It sounds to me that the office in Chiang Mai is tired of being lied to. Just another example of why assholes cheating the system make it harder for everyone else.

5. User who gave Like to post:

frequent (July 12th, 2018)

Banned
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by mahjongguy View Post
    It sounds to me that the office in Chiang Mai is tired of being lied to. Just another example of why assholes cheating the system make it harder for everyone else.
    It's another example of why the rule of law and Thailand are strangers to one another. Either the law is applied transparently - and consistently across Thailand - or it is subject to the whim of individual officials who, of course, can always then be bought

Liked

Possibly the reason the CM Imm is asking for 'proof' of income lies in the fact that the US Embassy doesn't ask for 'proof' when they notorize the income letter.
    Any American can get the notorized letter simply by swearing on the bible that their income statement is true. Lots of lies being bandied about going on there I'm certain.
    An American I know here in Hua Hin lies through in his teeth everytime he goes his Embassy looking for the income letter. He laughs at it.

Many countries' Embassies, when providing an income letter, demand physical proof that the amount provided is true. For instance, the Canadian Embassy asks you to provide your latest income tax filing. Only after seeing that will they notorize the income letter.
    In 10 years my income letter has never been questioned by Thai immigration.
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

Banned
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Smiles View Post
    Possibly the reason the CM Imm is asking for 'proof' of income lies in the fact that the US Embassy doesn't ask for 'proof' when they notorize the income letter. Any American can get the notorized letter simply by swearing on the bible that their income statement is true. Lots of lies being bandied about going on there I'm certain.

Many countries Embassies, when providing an income letter, demand physical proof that the amount provided is true. For instance, the Canadian Embassy asks you to provide your latest income tax filing. Only after seeing that will they notorize the income letter.
    In 10 years my income letter has never been questioned by Thai immigration.
    On the other hand there are some countries whose notarised declaration is along the lines of "Mr Smiles has told us his income is ..."

Liked

I fail to see why one's income should be of any concern to the Thai authorities - it's not as if they're going to be doling benefits and free health care out to you should you become penniless - they'd just let you starve or die, or both (but they'd do it with a smile)

Basically an ex-pat farang is a one-way Income stream for Thailand - they should embrace that, rather than make it awkward to comply with pointless regulation

10. 2 Users gave Like to post:

christianpfc (July 15th, 2018), poshglasgow (July 16th, 2018)

Banned
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by scottish-guy View Post
    I fail to see why one's income should be of any concern to the Thai authorities - it's not as if they're going to be doling benefits and free health care out to you should you become penniless - they'd just let you starve or die, or both.
    They don't care if you become penniless - they want to ensure you have money to spend. Foreign visitors are merely ATMs don't forget, and there's nothing less useful than an empty ATM. Since visas are only extended year by year, all retirees are merely long-term visitors

Liked

The process is not awkward at all. 15 minutes in the Embassy of your choice, then a day or so later, 20 minutes or so in ones nearest Immigration office and you are good to go for another year. Simple.

One can get around the whole letter thing if they are willing to satisfy the Immigration dudes that you have enough cash in a Thai bank to cover the requirement. Again, simple.
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

Banned
    Liked

True but there are many people living from month to month on a pension, and they rely on the embassy affadavit