'You are mixing things up. You start with prostitution and then move to saunas, where no money changes hands.'

Dictionary definitions to one side, I have rarely regarded sex in Thailand as prostitution. Prostitution in my book is the grim servicing the desperate. Quality sex with a younger partner, on the other hand, usually involves some transfer of funds, either directly or indirectly, and whether that's in the form of gifts or a few notes tucked into their back pocket as they leave my room in the morning, really doesn't bother me.

Indeed, one of the things I find really negative when on the prowl for a bed mate is the question: 'how much you give me?' - and one of things I really like is the sleeping companion who leaves my room in the morning before counting the money I've slipped them.

And on the subject of saunas, yes the sex is free, and from time to time, a fit young guy will be happy to let me suck them - but it's also very hit and miss. Would I like to venture into a room at the rear of a Thai bar with perhaps half a dozen round windows at face height, each window maybe 40cm diameter with a speedo clad lunchbox at each one, and after perusing the available talent, tuck perhaps 500 baht into the waistband of the one I'd like to know better? Yes I would - and I suspect I'm not the only one..