Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: 1 GBP gets 29 Baht

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Liked

Re: 1 GBP gets 29 Baht

Perhaps the Stansted CE counter was just jumping the gun a little. 5-year prediction for GBP to THB is 29.178. Brexit the expat's friend (not).

https://walletinvestor.com/forex-for...thb-prediction

Liked

Predictions should not be considered reliable.

Also, if the Pound was certain to lose 35% of it's value in 5 years, then in a low yield environment, much of that 35% would happen immediately, as people move their money.

Of course, 35% is very possible and even more than that could happen. It's just that I wouldn't consider the prediction reliable.

Also, for those of you in control of your pensions, ISAs etc, you can hedge against currency risk with all sorts of international finds, investment trusts & ETFs.

As for Stansted, well I don't fly to Thailand from there, so wouldn't dream of buying baht there. I have, however had some very good exchange rates on other currencies, obtained by PRE-BOOKING, which often gets a much better exchange rate.

The walk up rate is purely for them to fleece a few mugs. Really, the OFT should look at the monopoly situation in airport forex. Airport forex should be competitive, rather like in Manilla or even in the BKK rail terminal.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by goji View Post

The walk up rate is purely for them to fleece a few mugs. Really, the OFT should look at the monopoly situation in airport forex. Airport forex should be competitive, rather like in Manilla or even in the BKK rail terminal.
    The OFT will certainly start an investigation, if the receive a formal complaint.

Some years ago I suspected Curry’s were actually increasing their prices in their January sales. I had been watching them for a few years. One year I made a list of prices on selected items and sure enough in the January sales they went up. I formally complained to the OFT, or whoever they were then, enclosing my “evidence” and they started an investigation. A few months later I got a letter from them which contained a copy of a grovelling, yuck speak explanation from Curry’s.

So when I pass through Stansted on the way home I will take some pics of their rate and be forwarding a complaint if they are still at it.