List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Great news about the boy soccer players.

Liked

Re: Great news about the boy soccer players.

Quote Originally Posted by scottish-guy View Post
    Fail to see why anybody would want to make any reliable inference about their behaviour and personalities anyway - just be thankful they were rescued - anything more is verging on being creepy.
    Agree with SG. Let's be thankful that these boys are safely reunited with their families.

2. User who gave Like to post:

paborn (July 22nd, 2018)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by poshglasgow View Post
    ...I do wonder how the inevitable Hollywood film will appear twelve months or so down the line? Will they, for example, offer parts to some of the rescued boys? I predict that Mr. Spielberg will direct.
    Who cares about the movie or who will act in them. Who cares whether they get to meet MU. What I do care about is that the Wild Boars and their coach get some long-term, tangible benefit from this experience, for example, a scholarship fund or trust to see them through university or whatever it is they choose to do in life. A few of them wanted to be navy seals which I thought was very touching and a fitting ambition. And them seals are mighty fit (ahem). These guys don't ordinarily get much of a chance in life. Have you seen close ups of Aek, the coach? He has crow's feet around his eyes and chaffed, leathery skin, which is quite typical of hilltribesmen living under tough weather conditions - not the face of a Pattaya pretty boy. Did you hear him speak and the words he chose? Extremely humble and deferential. No, not Thai modesty but the humility of someone who has been taught to know his place as a second-class citizen all his life. That part made me choke.

I sincerely hope an honest agent (oxymoron?) steps up and helps these guys to milk every satang out of this experience as surely as they will be milked and exploited by others.

4. 9 Users gave Like to post:

Doug (July 21st, 2018), Eddie (September 3rd, 2018), gerefan2 (July 20th, 2018), Isaanguy (July 20th, 2018), paborn (July 22nd, 2018), poshglasgow (July 23rd, 2018), seenus (July 20th, 2018), Smiles (July 20th, 2018), Tintin (July 21st, 2018)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by scottish-guy View Post
    Fail to see why anybody would want to make any reliable inference about their behaviour and personalities anyway - just be thankful they were rescued - anything more is verging on being creepy.
    One member has told me he feels the words above (which have been "liked" by 3 other members) suggest he has an unhealthy and sexually motivated interest in wanting to dig in to the "behaviour and personalities" of these boys.

I am happy to confirm that my comment did not mention or allude to any sexual motivation, and was simply intended to convey that I regard it as bizarre for anybody to take this level of interest in people they don't know, will never meet, and who are from a culture they will never fully understand. I see it almost like 'stalking' - and that's not a sexual accusation either!

It's also well worth pointing out that I didn't even read his contribution in the first place and the post wasn't even directed at him specifically - but hopefully he feels more at ease with my clarification (not apology as there is nothing to apologise for)

6. 3 Users gave Like to post:

frequent (July 20th, 2018), paborn (July 22nd, 2018), sglad (July 20th, 2018)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

My feeling is one of sadness that this forum's coverage of an event which brought such happiness to so many has been sullied by inappropriate sexual innuendo. At least Elon Musk apologised.
    Nevertheless, there were three likes. Three! so it must have been worth it. And I've learnt two important lessons. Firstly, the words "poised and dignified" are so charged with sexual significance that they should be used only with the greatest care. And secondly, one sentence in one post praising the handling of a Press Conference can be used as the basis for offensive allegations.
    Perhaps there are two more; on this forum, any level of abuse is sanctified by the acquisition of "likes", and a PM is not....well, private.

8. User who gave Like to post:

arsenal (July 20th, 2018)

Liked

No "allegations" were made of anybody having a sexual interest in the story - if you can find any, point them out and if you can't I'd suggest you get off your high horse as it's a clapped-out non-starter.

While you're at it you might try to find any mainstream dictionary definition of the word "creepy" that includes any sexual reference - it seems to me it's all in the mind of those who are so easily taking offence

10. 2 Users gave Like to post:

frequent (July 20th, 2018), sglad (July 20th, 2018)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by sglad View Post
    What I do care about is that the Wild Boars and their coach get some long-term, tangible benefit from this experience, for example, a scholarship fund or trust to see them through university or whatever it is they choose to do in life.
    Naresuan University has already offered them all full scholarships for degree, masters and doctorate courses if they want to study there - and coped a bit of flack for the offer

Naresuan University offers 13 ‘Wild Boars’ full scholarships - The Nation, 13 July

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver2 View Post
    At least Elon Musk apologised.
    <sarcasm>
    and what a sincere and heartfelt apology it was - not at all prompted by his belated realisation of the impact of his negative tweets on his personal reputation and the share price of his companies!
    </sarcasm>

I admit he was originally in a no win situation in the initial twitter storm about why is he not helping/is helping and his initial response was quite measured and sensible but he really showed his true colours once his proffered solution was rejected

bkkguy

Liked

Foreign media slammed for pursuit of Wild Boars boys

report-cave.jpg

ABC News interviews one of the Wild Boars boys

Justice deputy permanent secretary Thawatchai Thaikhieu today expressed disappointment at the conduct of some foreign journalists who defied advice of psychiatrists and child welfare officials against interviewing the young members of the Wild Boars soccer team after they were discharged from the hospital.

“Some foreign media have acted below the professional standard which is something regrettable and unforgivable,” wrote Mr Thawatchai in his Facebook page. He was apparently responding to an interview that a correspondent of ABC News had with one of the young survivors from Tham Luang cave.

The interview created an uproar on the Thai social media after it was aired last night, prompting calls for Thai authorities to take action against the American journalist.

Full Story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/for...ld-boars-boys/
    Wombat : an Australian marsupial that eats,roots and leaves

Banned
    Liked

Oh christ I thought this was over

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by lonelywombat View Post
    ... media have acted below the professional standard ...
    This just in - there are no professional standards in the media

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by frequent View Post
    Oh christ I thought this was over
    Not while he scum can make money from someone’s unfortunate or harrowing experience.