List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Great news about the boy soccer players.

Liked

Re: Great news about the boy soccer players.

It's on BBC News in the UK. Full interview with all the boys.

They seem very educated.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Remarkable poise and dignity. And of course gratitude...."getanyu" is (I believe) the Thai word. It goes beyond simply saying something like "thanks". It suggests something heart-felt, acknowledging that their lives have been changed ( in fact saved ) by the rescuers.

Liked

This long report in Thursdays Age probably is the last of the story.
    A great long article and I hope all the boys do well in the future.
    https://www.theage.com.au/world/asia...18-p4zs9w.html
    Wombat : an Australian marsupial that eats,roots and leaves

No Platformed
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver2 View Post
    Remarkable poise and dignity. And of course gratitude...."getanyu" is (I believe) the Thai word. It goes beyond simply saying something like "thanks". It suggests something heart-felt, acknowledging that their lives have been changed ( in fact saved ) by the rescuers.
    A report today in the newspapers I read that the entire performance was scripted and all questions were vetted by psychologists so as not to add to the trauma the boys have suffered and will suffer. Not sure if anything of value can be inferred from the news conference therefore.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Of course they were coached; they were children confronted by the world's press so they needed advice. Does this mean that the words " poise and dignity" are inappropriate?

Banned
    Liked

Of course they were coached; they were children confronted by the world's press so they needed advice. Does this mean that the words " poise and dignity" are inappropriate?
    Put simply you can make absolutely no reliable inference about their behaviour and personalities whatsoever

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by frequent View Post
    Put simply you can make absolutely no reliable inference about their behaviour and personalities whatsoever
    So you’re saying that they are good actors then? Give them more credit ffs.

Liked

Fail to see why anybody would want to make any reliable inference about their behaviour and personalities anyway - just be thankful they were rescued - anything more is verging on being creepy.

9. 3 Users gave Like to post:

frequent (July 19th, 2018), lonelywombat (July 19th, 2018), paborn (July 22nd, 2018)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Not inappropriate but over the top. How often do we hear of children being described as poised and dignified? Sounds very archaic and colonial to me. I would have said they were pretty chilled, cool, unruffled or in good spirits considering what they've been through. I also thought they looked healthy and cute and I don't mean that in a sexual way.

And by lauding their poise and dignity, you are in fact suggesting that there is a correct way to behave under these circumstances and the behaviour they showed on TV was the correct one. So would you have censured them had they been uncomfortable, distressed or emotional which to me would have been perfectly natural and understandable considering what they went through?

Furthermore, to attribute their survival and good behaviour to Thainess and Thai culture is somewhat irrational, sentimental and misplaced, in my humble opinion. I think some farang subconsciously do it to justify their own choices, decisions and relationships re Thailand. In other words, it makes them feel good about themselves. Considering that quite a few of these boys, had they not been embraced by celebrity due to their misadventure, would have been viewed as second-class citizens, or, not be "seen" at all by the local population, all this mumbo jumbo about some "deep understanding of Thai culture from those of us who love Thais" is just a load of feel-good crap revealing no insight or deep understanding of human nature, let alone Thai culture.

In my opinion, what the boys had going for them - which I'm sure contributed to their survival in no small measure - is that they were young, athletic and conditioned to function as a team from their football training. They were disciplined and listened to their leader and still young enough to be free from the I-will-eat-you-first-before-you -eat-me survival instinct. Anyone who has ever played in a team sport or undergone military training as I have would understand what I mean. And most importantly, being rugged guys from the region, they understood the terrain and had a certain connection with their natural environment to be able to co-exist with it under the most challenging circumstances. You might have read about this connection with nature with regards to native American Indians and Australian Aboriginals. Put the fittest swimmer from Huamark or some nicely coiffed kept-boy from Pattaya in that cave and he may not have fared so well.

A note about citizenship for some of the boys and all the fuss some bored farangs with no life are kicking up about it. This is something that will be approached quietly and carefully by the Thais themselves when all the dust has settled. Citizenship not only for the boys but also their immediate families which means some precedents will be set and I'm sure the powers-that-be will want to tread carefully. The granting of citizenship itself is as easy as one wave of the sceptre of you-know-who as this clearly falls within his prerogative. Don't be surprised if the boys get an audience with him or his sister at some point; the welfare of hilltribe and stateless persons being a cause close to her heart. So all these armchair do-gooder farangs can rest and cut down on their blood pressure medicine and get back to the really important issues of man boys vs fem boys and how much to tip for an overnight off.

11. 2 Users gave Like to post:

Eddie (September 3rd, 2018), paborn (July 22nd, 2018)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by sglad View Post
    Not inappropriate but over the top. How often do we hear of children being described as poised and dignified? Sounds very archaic and colonial to me. I would have said they were pretty chilled, cool, unruffled or in good spirits considering what they've been through. I also thought they looked healthy and cute and I don't mean that in a sexual way.

And by lauding their poise and dignity, you are in fact suggesting that there is a correct way to behave under these circumstances and the behaviour they showed on TV was the correct one. So would you have censured them had they been uncomfortable, distressed or emotional which to me would have been perfectly natural and understandable considering what they went through?

Furthermore, to attribute their survival and good behaviour to Thainess and Thai culture is somewhat irrational, sentimental and misplaced, in my humble opinion. I think some farang subconsciously do it to justify their own choices, decisions and relationships re Thailand. In other words, it makes them feel good about themselves. Considering that quite a few of these boys, had they not been embraced by celebrity due to their misadventure, would have been viewed as second-class citizens, or, not be "seen" at all by the local population, all this mumbo jumbo about some "deep understanding of Thai culture from those of us who love Thais" is just a load of feel-good crap revealing no insight or deep understanding of human nature, let alone Thai culture.

In my opinion, what the boys had going for them - which I'm sure contributed to their survival in no small measure - is that they were young, athletic and conditioned to function as a team from their football training. They were disciplined and listened to their leader and still young enough to be free from the I-will-eat-you-first-before-you -eat-me survival instinct. Anyone who has ever played in a team sport or undergone military training as I have would understand what I mean. And most importantly, being rugged guys from the region, they understood the terrain and had a certain connection with their natural environment to be able to co-exist with it under the most challenging circumstances. You might have read about this connection with nature with regards to native American Indians and Australian Aboriginals. Put the fittest swimmer from Huamark or some nicely coiffed kept-boy from Pattaya in that cave and he may not have fared so well.

A note about citizenship for some of the boys and all the fuss some bored farangs with no life are kicking up about it. This is something that will be approached quietly and carefully by the Thais themselves when all the dust has settled. Citizenship not only for the boys but also their immediate families which means some precedents will be set and I'm sure the powers-that-be will want to tread carefully. The granting of citizenship itself is as easy as one wave of the sceptre of you-know-who as this clearly falls within his prerogative. Don't be surprised if the boys get an audience with him or his sister at some point; the welfare of hilltribe and stateless persons being a cause close to her heart. So all these armchair do-gooder farangs can rest and cut down on their blood pressure medicine and get back to the really important issues of man boys vs fem boys and how much to tip for an overnight off.
    While some of the content may be contentious, I thought this piece very well-written and thought-provoking. I do wonder how the inevitable Hollywood film will appear twelve months or so down the line? Will they, for example, offer parts to some of the rescued boys? I predict that Mr. Spielberg will direct.