List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: This venue up for sale looks VERY familar!

Liked

Re: This venue up for sale looks VERY familar!

Do the fans of Throb among us recall the dancer who was seriously well-nourished to Billy Bunter proportions and who would suddenly shock the audience by completing perfect cartwheels - all twenty stone of him!! He used to get a great cheer when he performed.

Can you recall the boys dancing to 'Thriller', wearing skeleton suits that lit up the white bones on the suits under UV light?

It was over 20 years ago but I still recall, with a shudder, those boys who squatted on stage and laid eggs into glasses of water. PLOP!

Liked

I'm sure there were two morbidly obese dancers who did the cartwheels in Throb - one originally then his/her replacement. Original was better.
    I also recall the Thriller routine and the Titanic routine. Not to mention "The Dog"
    I think you're mixing the eggs up with another bar - I can't imagine that being Throb's style.
    Every time I hear the James Bond theme I think of Throb as that was the intro music to their shows.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by scottish-guy View Post
    I'm sure there were two morbidly obese dancers who did the cartwheels in Throb - one originally then his/her replacement. Original was better.
    I also recall the Thriller routine and the Titanic routine. Not to mention "The Dog"
    I think you're mixing the eggs up with another bar - I can't imagine that being Throb's style.
    Every time I hear the James Bond theme I think of Throb as that was the intro music to their shows.
    Absolutely right: there were two sumo wrestlers and the first was the nation's favourite.

The egg routine was, indeed, in the Sunee area (not Throb), way back in the early nineties when there were a few clubs with special show bars 'upstairs'. I've been trying to remember where they were and I keep getting flashbacks to an area in Soi VC across from Forest House. And, of course, there was a sleezy upstairs bar (now gone), Tom Yum(?), next to Forest House. I'm sure that was one of the egg-laying clubs of yesteryear. I think I'm right in saying that eggs weren't the only things to be laid in that club!

There was a string of secretive, dubious establishments in Soi VC at the height of the Yaba wars of the late nineties, with gangs of kids charging through the sois with lumps of wood etc with which to club their opponents. Their hideouts were along Soi VC, many with only a curtain to tone down their entrance. It seemed that not a week passed without some serious gang incident involving screaming voices, motorcycles, knives and other weapons. The dead giveaway was when the money boys spilled out of the clubs / go-go bars, looking, like meerkats, in the same direction, along the soi. Something was up or about to happen and they knew what it was.

Now, sadly, it's a ghost town. I watched a bored cockroach slowly kicking a peanut along the gutter outside Sunee Plaza bar, celebrating the fact that there were few, if any, farang around to attempt to smash its head in with the heal of their shoe (on in some cases their stiletto)! Even the mice, who had removed their overalls, looked around and whispered: "Quiet, isn't it?"

4. 2 Users gave Like to post:

christianpfc (July 7th, 2018), Jellybean (July 3rd, 2018)

Liked

One of the "egg" bars in Sunee was Super Queen.

I'll say no more lest I get into trouble for being off-topic on my own fucking thread.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

The original "well-proportioned" guy at Throb was Khun Oh. He was very popular and, over the years, his role in the show became more important. After a few years at Throb, he went to South Korea to further his career and was replaced by a stand-in, the partner of a Throb dancer. This couple were there in the early days of Throb, the guy eventually becoming a waiter. I think that Khun Oh returned to Throb, disappointed, to resume his role as a big (very big) fish in a small pool.
    There were times when it was impossible to get a seat there, even when large number of tiny, uncomfortable stools were brought out.
    Happy days! Some of us have indeed "heard the chimes at midnight."

As far as Super Queen is concerned (and, by the way, it is still boarded-up after twenty years) my recollection is that it was a boy and girl bar and that its clientele was mainly of mixed Asian coach parties. There was a well-publicised police raid that closed it. It never reopened.

7. 3 Users gave Like to post:

Jellybean (July 3rd, 2018), poshglasgow (July 4th, 2018), scottish-guy (July 3rd, 2018)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by paborn View Post
    I fondly remember a bar in Saphan Kwai decades ago ( wild west boys???) that had all boys performing. Sometimes, American westerns, but more often, Thai historical dramas. They were wonderful and promoted off's for the guys.
    You're referring, I think, to the very fondly remembered Midnight Cowboy bar.

As for Super Queen, mentioned above, the off-able staff were, I think, all boys. Girls were, though, introduced for some of the cabaret routines (live sex on top of the bar, dart-projecting-from-fanny, etc.) both for the sake of variety and, I imagine, to offer some extra stimulation to some of the more overtly hetero boys (who included, as I've mentioned elsewhere, two very handsome brothers).
    "The fruits of peace and tranquility... are the greatest goods... while those of its opposite, strife, are unbearable evils. Hence we ought to wish for peace, to seek it if we do not already have it, to conserve it once it is attained, and to repel with all our strength the strife which is opposed to it. To this end individual[s]... and in even greater degree groups and communities are obliged to help one another... from the bond or law of human society." [Marsilio dei Mainardini (c.1275-1342), Defensor Pacis]

9. 2 Users gave Like to post:

lonelywombat (July 3rd, 2018), paborn (July 5th, 2018)

Liked

As Mary Hopkin famously sang - Those Were The Days!

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver2 View Post
    The original "well-proportioned" guy at Throb was Khun Oh. He was very popular and, over the years, his role in the show became more important. .
    As far as I recall, Oh started out as the Throb Laundry Girl... her job was to clean the costumes

One day she did a bit of a dance, impressed the owners and they added her into the routines
    Buffalo me die! Send Money!

Forum's veteran
    Liked

So both the Venue and LCR were asking $1.5M.
    Is the Venue the better value?

Sorry for the OT post...

Liked

Good question - LCR needs a lot of refurb within the rooms whereas Venue is more moderrn with a pool etc.

Up till recently you’d have definitely said LCR was better location but BT seems to be dying on its feet and Jomtiem seems to be going up - according to the boards