Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: Bangkok report July 2018

Liked

Re: Bangkok report July 2018

It is money laundering. I spent 25 years at a financial organization and money laundering courses were a continuing requirement. Move large sums in cash across borders, buy assets in cash and Voila instant clean money. Anyone in the day of wire transfers who carries that much cash is up to no good. The US has a $10k law as well.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by scottish-guy View Post
    . . . Plus, I was reminded just the other day that a farang cannot buy a house (I suspect it's actually the land you cannot buy?) so I guess it must have been some condo type arrangement the guy was hoping to finance in cash.

Or am I wrong (again)?
    When I owned a house in Thailand, scottish-guy, I had to set up a company and buy the house and land through my newly set up company. I was given a blue book, an official Thai document which showed that my company owned the house and the land.

Other fa-ràng friends of mine had also bought houses in Thailand through the vehicle of a company, but they had an official yellow book showing they owned the house, whereas the land was owned by their company.

When I advised my friends that I had a blue book, they thought I had been wrongly advised by my Thai lawyer, as they felt owning the house was the safest and most secure route to property ownership in Thailand. However, when I came to sell my house and land, it was an easy process of simply transferring my directorship and company shares to the new owner of my property. From memory, I think the whole process took no more than 7 days.

Selling my apartment where fa-ràng owners can own their property, providing at least 51% of the owners are Thai, was a different kettle of fish. That process took nearly 4 months! That is my experience, others may, of course, have entirely different experiences.

Apologies to a447 for going slightly off topic, but there is a loose connection to your guy from Golden Cock Bar. The one who was furiously typing on his ‘phone and showed you the conversation he'd been having with a fa-ràng customer from from New York, who had just arrived at Suvarnabhumi Airport with $150,000 cash in his suitcase. I think it is reasonable and legitimate to speculate what he intended doing with that cash. And I suppose property purchase is as good a reason as any.

3. 3 Users gave Like to post:

a447 (July 9th, 2018), paborn (July 8th, 2018), scottish-guy (July 8th, 2018)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Hang on a minute - was there not a poster on here not just a few weeks ago who worked on the oil rigs and who happily admitted to spending small fortunes on his trips funding boys and their parties !? Maybe it's our guy arriving for a two week fuck fest ! How DARE they stop a man with such good intent and such a good heart ! maybe not a bit of wonder A447's guy was furiously typing away as maybe HE was the guys "boy de jour" !!

Or yeah, I guess he COULD have been buying property and stuff, but hell I like my idea more :-)

Liked

Apologies to a447 for going slightly off topic, but there is a loose connection to your guy from Golden Cock Bar. The one who was furiously typing on his ‘phone and showed you the conversation he'd been having with a fa-ràng customer from from New York, who had just arrived at Suvarnabhumi Airport with $150,000 cash in his suitcase. I think it is reasonable and legitimate to speculate what he intended doing with that cash. And I suppose property purchase is as good a reason as any.

Jellybean. your post is clear and informative as you always make. With one point only, It might be my years of compliance training but there is NO good reason for that much cash. Legitimate money can be legitimately transferred, quickly and safely, for any legitimate purpose.
    Last edited by christianpfc; July 12th, 2018 at 22:35. Reason: fix quote

6. User who gave Like to post:

AsDaRa (July 21st, 2018)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by paborn View Post
    Jellybean. your post is clear and informative as you always make. With one point only, It might be my years of compliance training but there is NO good reason for that much cash. Legitimate money can be legitimately transferred, quickly and safely, for any legitimate purpose.
    Yes, I must admit you make an excellent point paborn. Whatever was I thinking, and me a former tax inspector, whose internal alarm bells used to ring whenever I heard the word "cash". I should have known better.

Liked

Paborn is correct of course and his comment sums up today's Big Brother society - you now need to be able to demonstrate a "good reason" when trying to do whatever the fuck you want with your own money.

9. User who gave Like to post:

paborn (July 9th, 2018)

Liked

True! By the way, I was surprised to learn recently, with disclosures after the Michael Cohen affair in the US, that if take out a bank loan -even secured by your own property, and then use the money for a reason different than you gave the bank it is a matter of potential bank fraud under US law. Mark you, this has nothing to do with your credit worthiness or intent/ability to repay. Just state one reason and then change your mind and you could be prosecuted. As cynical as I am I was shocked.

Liked

I'm becoming more and more convinced this is a scam. Either that or the money was obtained through illegal activity.

Of course, we'll never know. Unless, of course, we read something in the papers.

12. User who gave Like to post:

paborn (July 9th, 2018)

Liked

I am not sure if it is the fact that I stay right next on Surowong next to Boystown but I can get in my Grindr or Jackd grids see one fake profile after another. Interesting discussion on Lao boys though, which bars should I go to see a more complete selection?