Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best way to book

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: Best way to book

Quote Originally Posted by paborn View Post
    I emailed the Tarntawan directly and have had no response for three days. Is this normal for them? Is this no longer the best way to book, should I rely on booking sites? In may day the hotel was delighted to book direct and save the commission, even offering the better rate. Has all this changed?
    The Tarntawan is under new management so maybe things have changed. Also, I believe Hotels are not allowed to undercut booking sites. Maybe this is why you haven't heard.

I think you are in the UK and, if so, maybe you could do the same as I do which is to book through Expedia.co.uk I have used them many times and their rates are always the best I can find. It also has has the advantage of paying immediately in GBP from your UK bank account.

Liked

What email are you using? There was a lot of disruptive things done by the new manager after the sale. He is now gone.
    Here is the email I use and have no problems with response. If you use the old email address it has been taken (just like the old hotel sign) and moved to the Tartawan Apartments on the corner.

rsvn@tarntawansurawong.com

I book with hotels.com but in the past they have offered discounts for long stay direct bookings.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

The relationship between hotels and booking sites is complicated. I prefer direct booking with some- Tarntawan, Ambiance and Agate- while I use Agoda for ones I don't know in other parts of Thailand and Asia. The hotels can usually match or nearly match Agoda prices for example and, of course, find rooms when booking companies claim particular categories of rooms are sold -out. It is worth developing a personal relationship as a regular customer. At the same time, I agree that the immediate response and efficiency of the booking companies is hard to beat.
    I've found Tarntawan slower to respond on occasions since it changed its email address. If I don't get a reply within twenty-four hours, I re-send my email..One of the unfortunate effects of the change of management has been what appears to be reduced staffing levels. Perhaps this explains even if it doesn't excuse it.

Liked

I just booked 5 minutes ago.

Their website was offering 2080 baht per night (breakfast not included) but I booked on Expedia for around 1500 baht.

5. User who gave Like to post:

paborn (June 26th, 2018)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

There is another consideration here. The prices offered by Expedia et al are sensitive to High/Low season exigencies. When I book for the three hotels I mentioned, I am getting the same price for different times of the year. I appreciate that I'm fortunate in being able to plan for two trips to Thailand at a time....but nevertheless, the point I made about establishing a relationship pertains.
    For the record, I'm paying 2100 for rooms (including breakfast) in October and then in January. It may be that, over the two visits and proposed visits later in 2019 , I'm getting the better deal.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by a447 View Post
    I just booked 5 minutes ago.

Their website was offering 2080 baht per night (breakfast not included) but I booked on Expedia for around 1500 baht.
    Another vote here for Expedia...

Liked

Thanks! They , finally, got back to me. 2,280 Bhat includes breakfast for January 10. Acceptable.

Liked

Enjoy!

10. User who gave Like to post:

paborn (June 27th, 2018)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Josan View Post
    Enjoy!
    Giving a "Like" thingmajing to a one single word post (though granted you, it IS two syllables at least) is a bit over the top I would say? Kind of like giving one to Trump ... who -- as we all know -- is 100% illiterate. It tends to cheapen "Likes".
    American, right?
    Nothing against Josan.
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

Banned
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Smiles View Post
    Kind of like giving one to Trump ... who -- as we all know -- is 100% illiterate. It tends to cheapen "Likes".
    You mean it's like hyperbole which renders a statement meaningless?