Quote Originally Posted by frequent View Post
Possibly our American friends, for whom English is a foreign language, would be more comfortable with scores rather than dozens. I gave up trying to explain the concept of "fortnight" when I was working there
No one, except English knows this "fortnight" thingy. It's one of those words that should have died together with Shakespeare 400 years ago. Isn't it 2 weeks? Or 4? Why not just say "I'm leaving in 3 weeks", no, instead you, English, torture the rest of the world with fortnight. Very cruel of you!

Another one is "stones". Edina from Absolutely Fabulous was overweight, fat cow, frankly, and she knew it. But what did she say? "I need to lose 1 stone", and her bitch daughter corrected her, "2 stones", she said, just to be mean. How many kg, please? Understably metric system is too complicated for English, could you then tell us in pounds, at least pounds make some sense (not really), everybody needs to multiply lb by 2, and we get roughly 1Kg. But no! Stones!!

Americans are just as guilty with their ounces and eightballs.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacktouch View Post

I go out in 12 weeks time.
Yeah, but how many fortnights is that? English people don't do weeks, they measure time in fortnights.
Just like Cdnmatt's husbands owe an apology to him, for simply existing, English owe the whole world an apology for fortnight! I'm willing to accept this apology on behalf of all humanity.

I'm also thinking of going. Apparently Bangkok tourism authority is concerned with low tourist arrivals, and they are proposing a new TR scheme, Single Entry Tourist Visa will count as double entry between now and February, that gives people with SE TR extra 90 days in Thailand without having to apply for new visa, just need to leave country, and come right back. And they will do away land border 2 entries per year, land crossings are back to unlimited. Except no one knows when this welcome change comes to effect.

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic...boost-tourism/