Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Same sex soapies in Thailand

Banned
    Liked

Same sex soapies in Thailand

In recent years the genre known as 'boys' love' has spread fast across South-East Asia and is reaching cult status in some parts of the West, despite the anxieties of conservative parts of Thai society. "I think male-male romance or male-male homoerotic relations has now become a new normal in Thai pop culture. This seems to be unthinkable 10 years ago," says Thai political scientist Poowin Bunyavejchewin. He says the steady stream of boys' love television shows and feature films are triggering fundamental changes in Thai society.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-06-1...ailand/9874766

2. User who gave Like to post:

paborn (June 16th, 2018)

Liked

Re: Same sex soapies in Thailand

There will never be space for "boys love" dramas on UK TV - between cookery programmes, benefits cheats programmes, Rogue tenants & landlords programmes, various "Let's laugh at inadequate poor people" programmes, DIY programmes, and interminable re-runs of Dads Army, Fawlty Towers, One Foot in the Grave, and Fools and Horses.

Which is good news for me at least - because although I watch none of the above, I'm almost certain that "Boys love" dramas would make me puke.

Liked

from the linked article:

the film's (Love of Siam) success sent an emphatic message to entertainment media companies: there was money to be made in same-sex romance.
    The soapies are not promoted as queer shows. In fact, the target market is primarily young women
    so I was going to suggest the moderators move this to the "Everything Else" forum but then there were the more relevant bits about tolerance rather than acceptance in Thai society and parents thinking "good girls and boys" don't watch such programs but then the final paragraphs somewhat spoil that dose of reality with unsupported wishful thinking that everything is changing very quickly in Thai society!

still if we can get some controversial replies we might just get it hidden way and forgotten in the Holding Room

bkkguy

Liked

"Controversial" comments are not moved into the Holding Room.

And the Holding Room is not "hidden" from members.

Whether or not they wish to forget the topic and/or no longer contribute to the thread is entirely up to them.

Sometimes the thread in the Holding Room dies a natural death. I think that's what Smiles was alluding to in a recent comment in one of the threads there.

Either that, or he was simply telling us that his friend called Peter had popped out for a while.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by scottish-guy View Post
    There will never be space for "boys love" dramas on UK TV - between cookery programmes, benefits cheats programmes, Rogue tenants & landlords programmes, various "Let's laugh at inadequate poor people" programmes, DIY programmes, and interminable re-runs of Dads Army, Fawlty Towers, One Foot in the Grave, and Fools and Horses.

Which is good news for me at least - because although I watch none of the above, I'm almost certain that "Boys love" dramas would make me puke.
    You are sadly right, although I watch none of this crap. My TV gets switched on about twice a week these days, which I think is about right given the standard of material.
    Also, has comedy died out ? Is there anything to compare with Morcombe & Wise, Lenny Henry, Jasper Carrot etc. ?

Banned
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by scottish-guy View Post
    You should try the "gay" genre on Netflix - very puke-making. I watched "The 10 Year Plan" recently - the most god-awful sentimental American tosh, although a couple of great bodies early on

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by goji View Post
    ..Is there anything to compare with Morcombe & Wise, Lenny Henry, Jasper Carrot etc. ?
    Imagine putting Morecambe & Wise into the same category as those third-rate others.

I would lump Jasper Carrot in with Freddie "Parrot-Face" Davies, Bernie Clifton, Jimmy Cricket and Frank Carson.

Lenny Henry slightly above them but not by much

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Sorry I cant let you sit there disparaging poor Jimmy Cricket and Frank Carson - from a Country who gave us The Krankies ffs !

* ps I STILL cant work out if their self confessed tales of sex swap parties, orgies and dogging were all a piss take or not - scary thought if not !?

krank.jpg

Liked

Well, well, another opportunity to do a bit of name-dropping today (for the first, see the 'A very English scandal' thread). One time in the 1990s, when I was working as a London mini cab driver, I had to take Frank Carson from Wimbledon to Croydon where he had a gig to do. He was very friendly and chatty and I soon had the impression that he had me down as an educated guy from a well-to-do background. I decided to play up to this and said at one point, 'My father was a conductor, you know.' 'Oh really, which orchestra?' he said, duly impressed. 'Yes,' I continued, 'he was a conductor on the 76 bus from the Edgware Road.' He laughed at that and I felt quite chuffed to have put one over him. I didn't have the nerve to add, 'It's the way I tell 'em!' Anyway, to conclude the story, I got hopelessly lost in Croydon (dreadful place!) and it was getting closer and closer to 8pm when his gig was due to start. He never showed the slightest sign of irritation and thanked me and tipped me when we finally reached the club with about two minutes to spare. A perfect gentleman in my experience.

11. User who gave Like to post:

christianpfc (July 12th, 2018)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

That’s a nice story to hear when in this day and age it seems it’s usually more the exact opposite reaction you get from “celebrities”