Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: No country for old men?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Liked

Re: No country for old men?

As I said clearly, barring cancer and a few other major issues, health care in Thailand is cheap and quality to begin with - so what's the issue? I know many older ex-pats here who are here specifically because of the low cost of healthcare in comparison to their home country. Example: An American in Khon Kaen recently had a heart attack. He was rushed to the hospital and survived - needed to have heart surgery - had it done at a private hospital and recovery was about three weeks. All told, the bill came to 150,000 baht (less than $5,000 USD). Most health insurance policies in America today cost more than than just for the premium, before your copays and deductibles.

Beyond that, many health insurance companies will continue to provide coverage provided that you have a policy issued before the age of 65. An example is the policy I have with Russell Williams, and others I know who are with Cigna Global. So, older ex pats can continue with health insurance if they plan ahead. Again - it is personal preference. I still know many people who will argue that the healthcare in Thailand sucks. You can't convince them otherwise - so to them, my recommendation would be to stay away. For the sensible person, however, that should not be a reason to not live here. If you don't enjoy the lifestyle year round, then that would be enough to live somewhere else in my humble opinion.

Banned
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by kkjason View Post
    As I said clearly, barring cancer and a few other major issues, health care in Thailand is cheap and quality to begin with - so what's the issue?
    I suspect - only a suspicion mind you - that my correspondent in Chiang Mai didn't plan to have bowel cancer; my friend with diabetes also didn't plan to develop a chronic condition that would cost him in excess of 1,000 baht a week in medication if he sourced his drugs in Thailand. None of us know what's around the corner (and that includes speeding drivers that can leave people as quadraplegics, for example). But perhaps Dr Pangloss is practising medicine in Khon Kaen?

Liked

If one is going to worry about every little thing that can possibly come up in life then, no, moving to ANY country away from one's home country is not a good idea. It has nothing to Thailand per say. Also - as I said - insurance is most definitely a possibility if people plan ahead. I certainly did. I am not a spring chicken either. I'm old (and getting older by the day) and this is where I live. If I get cancer, I'm covered. Don't blame me because your 'correspondent' in Chiang Mai failed to plan properly for his old age. That is on him - not the rest of us.