List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I think I know Jomtien -but I don't!

Liked

Re: I think I know Jomtien -but I don't!

For croissants you might try: www.labaguettepattaya.com. Not far from Jomtien going toward South Pattaya.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by dorayme View Post
    For croissants you might try: www.labaguettepattaya.com. Not far from Jomtien going toward South Pattaya.
    ..... Not croissants, but the Wooden Box next door is inexpensive and excellent!

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by dorayme View Post
    Many thanks for the recommendation!

Liked

I understand when you live as an expat in Thailand you want to eat sometimes non-Thai food. But when I am on holiday here I eat only Thai. I am surprised that the many, almost all, restaurant tips here are for non-Thai food. Thai food is delicious. Back home you can eat your lasagna or steak again.

I would love to read about good Thai restaurants preferably having a a Thai chef. I still think it feels more authentic Thai when a Thai makes it then when the Pad Thai or Pad Krapow Gai is made by say a Dutch chef. I would welcome such recommendations.

5. 5 Users gave Like to post:

a447 (June 16th, 2018), christianpfc (July 20th, 2018), Faranglaw (June 24th, 2018), llz (June 18th, 2018), Smiles (June 17th, 2018)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by AsDaRa View Post
    I still think it feels more authentic Thai when a Thai makes it then when the Pad Thai or Pad Krapow Gai is made by say a Dutch chef.
    it tends to be the opposite problem here - all too often though the western restaurant is fronted by a falung it is Khun Lek in the kitchen trying to reproduce the secret family recipe for authentic fettuccine alfredo or bœuf bourguignon or for that matter even basic scrambled eggs and bacon!

though often for both Thai and western food it also comes down to the quality and freshness of ingredients the restaurant owner is willing to stretch to

bkkguy

Liked

I always stay at Poseidon. They generally give me a room upgrade, so I can't complain.
    In the evening I go cruising for Cambodian boys, who allegedly don't exist, per some other board member.

Forum's veteran Manforallseasons's Avatar
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by AsDaRa View Post
    I would love to read about good Thai restaurants preferably having a a Thai chef. I still think it feels more authentic Thai when a Thai makes it then when the Pad Thai or Pad Krapow Gai is made by say a Dutch chef. I would welcome such recommendations.
    Huh? Are you sure you have been to Thailand? I have lived here for 15+ years and have never seen anyone but a Thai cooking in a Thai restaurant and come ro think of it have only seen Thais cooking western food in Italian, German, etc. restaurants, check your passport to see if you actually have a Thai immigration stamp in it!
    "In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

9. User who gave Like to post:

paborn (June 20th, 2018)

Banned
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Manforallseasons View Post
    Huh? Are you sure you have been to Thailand? I have lived here for 15+ years and have never seen anyone but a Thai cooking in a Thai restaurant and come ro think of it have only seen Thais cooking western food in Italian, German, etc. restaurants, check your passport to see if you actually have a Thai immigration stamp in it!
    That may be true of Pattaya but it’s certainly not true of Bangkok. Telephone Pub had a westerner cook for several years and that’s just one example

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Manforallseasons View Post
    Poseidon has a Dutch chef. And I never see the cook when I am in a restaurant. If you know that many businesses are partly foreign owned I wouldn’t be surprised in some kitchens an expat is doing the cooking.

Liked

Thailand is the size of France. A few anecdotal examples of foreign cooks does not change the inevitability that the vast majority of cooks, in country, must be Thai.