Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Thai Buddhism today

Liked

Re: Thai Buddhism today

a447 I suspect that checks are next to useless - almost every time one of the scandals breaks the perpetrator turns out to have had no previous "criminal background".

Of course you could argue that knowing there's a requirement for checks serves to "weed out" applicants as anybody with a criminal background in sexual deviancy wouldn't risk applying for a teaching job.

Liked

Agreed. Such checks can only serve as a deterrent.

But I wonder if there are any such checks of guys entering religious service.

I recall reading about that young Thai monk who lived the high life, posting photos of himself aboard private jets and wearing Louis Vuitton apparel. Surely those higher up would have noticed his tastes were anything but simple.

Banned
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by a447 View Post
    Agreed. Such checks can only serve as a deterrent.

But I wonder if there are any such checks of guys entering religious service.
    The argument will be that teaching is merely a job whereas the priesthood is a vocation. Besides, children are of the essence of teaching but are incidental to the priesthood. Not all priests are parish priests. Same with nurses

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by frequent View Post
    The argument will be that teaching is merely a job whereas the priesthood is a vocation.
    Yes, that is the very point I was making, albeit not so succinct as you have worded it.

Liked

Organised religion is one of the great evils visited by mankind upon itself along with genocide, torture and slavery.

6. User who gave Like to post:

paborn (June 18th, 2018)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by AsDaRa View Post
    I get this information from my intuition. And logical thinking. Say you are a pedophile, than you want to work with children, be around them. In this secular age what better way for this than the teaching profession. And when you read certain newspapers there hardly goes by a week when I read about female teachers and underage boys. In American news you read this regularly. But a bishop is forced to answer questions like “what is the Church doing to prevent priests abusing children? Why so many priests are pedo”. School directors, ministers of education don’t get these questions when a teacher is caught. It is never put into context, always reported as stand alone stories. There is a huge difference between reporting. I would love to see the teaching profession being reported on the same way as the Church.
    "your own intuition" - well, that does explain the utter nonsense of your posts.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

This is all getting far too serious...not that its not a serious subject. Am I contradicting myself??

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Point is that unfortunately this happens in many organizations but clearly the Catholics with the Pope and the Vatican make a wonderful target...even more so when they shoot themselves in the foot over and over again.
    And arsenal..stop being silly spouting tired old leftie mantras...religion was power and what brought order to our world then...if there wasnt religion something else wouldve popped up in its place...religion and Christianity and the wealth of knowledge that it safeguarded throughout the ages is what made our world so powerful....thats why u as a white gay male can afford to travel the world buying developing world arse for a pittance.

10. User who gave Like to post:

llz (June 19th, 2018)

Liked

While I agree that the topic has become very serious we have to accept that it is a very serious one and I'll just let it rest. However, I do find it hard to believe that Christianity is the root cause of the industrial revolution and the rise of the West. The Japanese I see in Bnagkok in the evening are just as amouras as any of us.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

paborn..u need spell check or my english is slipping...."amouras"..??