Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Thai Buddhism today

Banned
    Liked

Re: Thai Buddhism today

Quote Originally Posted by AsDaRa View Post
    Why is it bad? It is win win. They benefit and we too. The 1000 baht per hour they get is far far more than they can get with another job. So how is this bad or exploiting them. It’s the opposite: we treat them very well. At least I do. I respect them, tip good. How is paying for sex different than paying someone to clean your room?

But I agree in official Catholicism sex is only to be done to procreate. And with your own partner. But according to that logic there are very few real Catholics and for gays it is a bit difficult to procreate.
    You are assuming (like Trump) that human interaction is purely transactional, whereas religions emphasis the "fidelity" or qualitative character of a relationship. That's why the Christian ones usually refer to a marriage as being like the relationship of "Christ and his Church" (Book of Common Prayer) - one of continuity and "faithfulness". The argument of political conservatives (eg. David Cameron) in favour of same sex marriage is that it will promote social stability. Promiscuity undermines stability. The wording of the Marriage Act in many jurisdictions has been changed to define marriage as "a relationship between two people to the exclusion of all others". Note that that has nothing to do with breeding nor, frankly, with exploitation

Therefore promiscuity is frowned on - nothing to do with the production of bastards. Prostitution is seen as an extreme form of promiscuity. In the past 60 years (since The Pill) the whole basis of monogamy is being challenged. Children are no longer inevitable. Religions and social conservatives generally have emphasised the qualitative nature of a stable relationship. To do so they've been forced to acknowledge that it's not only heterosexuals who can have stable relationships, so the goal has become the stable relationship as the key to the stable society

Prostitution has sometimes formed part of religious observance, but it's generally seen as "sacred" prostitution to do with fertility rituals for a good harvest. We're only on the threshold of the sexual revolution that the Pill (and widespread availability of abortion - the two go hand-in-hand) has ushered in. Let's not behave as if relationships are merely transactional, or we'll end up in a Trumpian universe

Banned
    Liked

I get this information from my intuition. And logical thinking.
    I think we can all agree that what you write shows that clearly

3. User who gave Like to post:

paborn (June 18th, 2018)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by frequent View Post
    I think we can all agree that what you write shows that clearly
    Thank you for the compliment, or wasn’t it a compliment?

Banned
    Liked

Thank you for the compliment, or wasn’t it a compliment?
    Surely your intuition and logical thinking make the answer obvious?

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by frequent View Post
    Surely your intuition and logical thinking make the answer obvious?

It did. But I still stand by what I said. It is very logical to think teaching is full of pedo’s. What other profession gives them access to what they desire?

7. User who gave Like to post:

dinagam (June 18th, 2018)

Banned
    Liked

It did. But I still stand by what I said. It is very logical to think teaching is full of pedo’s. What other profession gives them access to what they desire?
    I really must update my Ignore list

Liked

... teaching is full of pedo’s. What other profession gives them access to what they desire?
    Politics and Showbusiness apparently

If anyone was familar with a certain wonderful boy brothel on the Reeperbahn (which was just so much fun it was unreal), it was a politician who brought that all crashing down with his liking for small dishes which weren't on the regular menu

10. User who gave Like to post:

paborn (June 18th, 2018)

Banned
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by scottish-guy View Post
    Politics and Showbusiness apparently
    Don't forget nursing. I hear they're forever fondling their patients under the sheets

12. User who gave Like to post:

paborn (June 18th, 2018)

Liked

It is very logical to think teaching is full of pedo’s.
    Not really.

Apparently, there are very strict criminal background checks in place. Teachers must have a Working With Children card before they can get anywhere near a school. If a teacher is found to be working in a school with a lapsed card - they have to be regularly renewed - there are hefty penalties in place for both the teacher and the school principal.

Do priests have to jump through the same hoops?

But there is another problem, already alluded to here. The church has found itself in hot water - and in the headlines - not only because of the incidence of child molestation, but also because the upper echelons of the church went out of their way to cover up the abuse and protect the abuser. Even the Pope recently called accusations against a priest mere hearsay. He's since changed his mind!

Is your "intuition and logical thinking" telling you that such institutionalised cover-ups are also occurring in Education Departments all around the world?

14. User who gave Like to post:

paborn (June 18th, 2018)

Banned
    Liked

Oddly enough I thought the Forum rules forbade dwelling on under-age sex as a topic