Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Thai Buddhism today

Liked

Re: Thai Buddhism today

Sorry, what I need is cataract surgery, on for next month. eanwhile I'm squinting. I meant, of course, amorous. But, I think you knew that.

Liked

Latin wrote.
    "Christianity and the wealth of knowledge that it safeguarded throughout the ages is what made our world so powerful."

One could argue the opposite. That without organised religion suppressing the free flow of information we would actually be further advanced.

3. User who gave Like to post:

paborn (June 19th, 2018)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

...but history proves me right?! Hello??

Liked

I, honestly, don't see how:

"The Scientific Revolution liberated science from religion. The new science separated spirit from matter. Reason and experiment replaced revelation as the source of knowledge of the world. After the Scientific Revolution, it was inevitable that God would eventually be pushed entirely out of nature and that science would deny the existence of God. – Margaret J. Osler, Professor of History and Adjunct Professor of Philosophy at the University of Calgary and author of Reconfiguring the World: Nature, God, and Human Understanding in Early Modern Europe"
    I agree with the professor and many, many others. But, then I'm a follower of Dawkins and have read his seminal " The God delusion" a number of times

Liked

History can prove anything anyone wants it to. Perhaps without the centuries of religious dominated censorship we'd be further advanced. It's impossible to prove one way or another.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

reminds me of the rowan atkinson skit where satan is welcoming the recently departed to hell...and he says to the atheists.."dont u feel stupid now"....

Banned
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by paborn View Post
    I agree with the professor and many, many others. But, then I'm a follower of Dawkins and have read his seminal " The God delusion" a number of times
    Thus demonstrating that you are not a seeker after truth (the scientific method) but merely a victim of confirmation bias. However, you're in good company there - most people are similarly victims, as evidenced by post after post on some topics on this very Forum. I should add that I'm not a believer in the existence of God, nor am I an atheist, since both are equally belief systems as neither can be proved beyond reasonable doubt

Good luck with the cataract surgery - I see you're in good company. Betty had it done last month

9. User who gave Like to post:

paborn (June 20th, 2018)

Liked

Yes, many of us in the US have formed ourselves, regretably, into camps. We were headed there without Trump but he has accelerated the pace. I'm aware of confirmation bias and, often, turn to works from the other side to test my belief system - to no effect. I am what I am.

I'm sure you are aware of the continuing argument about whether or not Atheism is a "belief system"; I tend to think not as it is, in it's essense, a total lack of a belief. Yes, I know you could argue the other way as effectively. But, I an atheist not becuse I'm against a belief system, but because I find no reasonable basis to have a system that has God at it's core ( hurts me to capitalize ) .My avatar of Ganymede with Zeus displays my willingness to accept pleasant myths. Perhaps, I just can't affirm the horrendous, hateful God of the Judeo-Christian world.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

my Catholic God...is not a hateful one...we got a good out..called confession...I could kill a busload of pregnant nuns and get forgiven...you must be thinking of presbeterians or some other north irish super uptight no fun wanna be christans.

Liked

[QUOTE=latintopxxx;243782]my Catholic God...is not a hateful one...we got a good out..called confession...

It must be a great comfort to you.

13. User who gave Like to post:

arsenal (June 21st, 2018)