Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: More worries for Boyztown bar-owners

Liked

Re: More worries for Boyztown bar-owners

Quote Originally Posted by mahjongguy View Post
    Anyone can go to the Land Office office on Threpasit Soi 17 and request to see land titles (chanotes). It's free or nearly so, but the queue is daunting.
    I wonder why so many people in Pattaya want to know who owns what plot of land (I mean why else the queue). Or the queue is maybe for other reasons also then just looking up who owns what in Pattaya.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    Absolutely, although I can't answer whether all maps will be labeled world wide.
    I also wonder how map makers world wide receive the information for street names. Say the Pattaya City Council decides to rename a street.
    Is there an official protocol to register this update in some kind of central database. Google and all the many many many mapmakers in the world look into that database for their maps of Thailand or Thailand cities?
    In Google members can propose updates, but you also have companies who publish maps without public input. An own internal departement there does the creation and update. How will they know a street has been renamed, so they can update their map? it is not doable to call every village, hamlet and city in the world if they recently updated a street name. So how does this process work?

In Amsterdam a soccer stadium has recently been renamed to Johan Cruijff Arena. Curious if in 10 years time many newly published maps still show the old name. Who knows how this process works?

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by mahjongguy View Post
    Boyztown is different from Sunee and Jomtien Complex in one very important way: the streets and sidewalks of Pattayaland belong to the public.
    I too wasn't aware of Boyztown being not privately owned until my last trip when I witnessed all the ground works going on in the Pattayaland streets. I was always under the impression that the Boyztown soi was part of the land belonging to the buildings there. That idea was reinforced because from when I first started visiting Pattaya back in 2000 the street was often closed off on a whim for street parties etc.. when Mdme Jim was ruling over the soi.

The 'good reason' for this might be that the local authorities having spent a very large amount of public cash to cover all the recent costs of the soi groundworks now probably feel 'obliged' to the general public to be seen to be making it more accessible. The great advantage of course is that ever more packs/hoards/throngs of Chinese gawkers can be led along the soi in larger numbers now with the freed up access. 'Seen to be doing things' is an important part of the game in Thailand.

Although 2-way traffic in BT Soi 3? even with everything cleared out of the way that would be a push. Interesting heads up Oliver.

Liked

Once, just once I would like to hear of a new policy implementation from 'the authorities' that I agree with. I can't see who this will benefit unless they want to start charging for placing tables/chairs on their shiny new road.

Liked

I would guess that these are temporary measures due to the closure of beach road to traffic on Fri & sat for the international fireworks festival?
    Buffalo me die! Send Money!

Forum's veteran
    Liked

One of those affected said they'd been told that it was 3000 bht per table per month. This answers my original question as to who benefits. One thing is obvious; we won't. Nor will those who run the bars.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by AsDaRa View Post
    I wonder why so many people in Pattaya want to know who owns what plot of land (I mean why else the queue). Or the queue is maybe for other reasons also then just looking up who owns what in Pattaya.
    As a member of the homeowner's association I once went to the Land Office and had them pull the chanotes for all 70 properties in our mooban. We made copies for our records and even uncovered some useful contact info.

Of course many go there to buy or sell or lease property.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by AsDaRa View Post
    ....I wonder why so many people in Pattaya want to know who owns what....
    It's purely a gay thing - they fear running low on gossip-ammunition

9. User who gave Like to post:

travelerjim (June 9th, 2018)

Liked

I cant see why bars need over spill areas at the moment , due to lack of farangs in both boys town and sunnie

Liked

At the moment there is only very light traffic in these sois - no doubt due is considerable part to the fact that they have been difficult to navigate.

If the intention is, by restricting tables etc, to open these sois up to a heavier flow of through traffic then my cynicism over the quality of Thai municipal works leads to me to believe that the recent sewerage/drainage works will probably fracture and eventually collapse under the weight of increased traffic - and perhaps sooner rather than later

Or, just as likely, give it a couple of months and the tables and chairs will be back