Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: More worries for Boyztown bar-owners

Forum's veteran
    Liked

More worries for Boyztown bar-owners

. Last evening , I watched as bar owners were instructed to move their over-spill tables and chairs, as well as their advertising boards into the bars, freeing-up the soi for two-way traffic. The only space for the bar-staff to leave their motor-cys is outside the defunct Care Royal.
    At the moment, those tables and chairs aren't required- the soi is very quiet - but in the High Season, the area near Panorama and Serene is full of customers and the and for once, the bars are making money.
    Is traffic going to be able to force itself down two lanes during the evenings? Is there enough space, even now when there are so few pedestrians? And what about our safety when we are competing for space in a narrow soi?
    Lastly, where will the motor cys that used to block the entrance to the soi near Cupidol be parked?

Is it possible there's a good reason for this? If so, I'd love to hear it.

Liked

Re: More worries for Boyztown bar-owners

Boyztown is different from Sunee and Jomtien Complex in one very important way: the streets and sidewalks of Pattayaland belong to the public.

3. User who gave Like to post:

snotface (June 9th, 2018)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by mahjongguy View Post
    Boyztown is different from Sunee and Jomtien Complex in one very important way: the streets and sidewalks of Pattayaland belong to the public.
    You have access to the Thailand land registry to know who owns which streets? So when I walk in Sunee on the street I walk on a privately owned street? Same for Jomtien? But I see motorbike taxis drive there. Are they violating the law: trespassing?

So when the street in Jomtien needs new pavement/asphalt the government doesn’t pay but the private owner?

Liked

So when I walk in Sunee on the street I walk on a privately owned street? YES, and you will notice there are no sidewalks.

Same for Jomtien? YES

But I see motorbike taxis drive there. Are they violating the law: trespassing? NO, because the owner chooses to let them enter.

So when the street in Jomtien needs new pavement/asphalt the government doesn’t pay but the private owner? YES

Jomtien Complex and Sunee (and Day/Night Plaza) are big chunks of land owned, operated, and maintained by a private business. Encroachment of public spaces is not an issue because there are none.

In Boyztown, the streets and sidewalks are public and subject to management by City Hall.

6. 2 Users gave Like to post:

Brad the Impala (June 9th, 2018), paborn (June 9th, 2018)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by mahjongguy View Post
    So when I walk in Sunee on the street I walk on a privately owned street? YES, and you will notice there are no sidewalks.

Same for Jomtien? YES

But I see motorbike taxis drive there. Are they violating the law: trespassing? NO, because the owner chooses to let them enter.

So when the street in Jomtien needs new pavement/asphalt the government doesn’t pay but the private owner? YES

Jomtien Complex and Sunee (and Day/Night Plaza) are big chunks of land owned, operated, and maintained by a private business. Encroachment of public spaces is not an issue because there are none.

In Boyztown, the streets and sidewalks are public and subject to management by City Hall.
    Thank you. But how you know this? I don't know this for my own city in my country who owns what. And looking it up costs money (it is not a free service of the land registry).

I wonder if privately owned streets receive names from the government or are officially unnamed? Can a private owner of a large street make up his own name for it, for example naming it for himself, and that name will appear then on all maps world wide?

Liked

Anyone can go to the Land Office office on Threpasit Soi 17 and request to see land titles (chanotes). It's free or nearly so, but the queue is daunting. I haven't done that for these properties, I had no reason to do that, but I've lived here for many years and as I go around I notice what's public and what isn't. There are plenty of visual clues. The type of streetlights, presence of speed bumps, signage, and much more. I've also spoken with some who rent space in Jomtien Complex, and there have been plenty of board threads about Sunee over the years.

Property, how it's managed (or isn't) is just an interest of mine. And even though I'm not a citizen, I tend to mutter and grumble about encroachment, usually because it means I have to stumble out into traffic.

Street names and maps are a fuzzier thing here than in Peoria or Slough. In Thailand, a public street will usually have a small blue sign. I've never seen an official government map of Pattaya. Google and others show streets that are open to the public without indicating if they are actually public property.

Anyway, back to the topic, don't be concerned about Boyztown. Pushbacks on encroachment are like a hard rain in December. They are rare and don't last long.

9. User who gave Like to post:

paborn (June 9th, 2018)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by AsDaRa View Post
    .....Can a private owner of a large street make up his own name for it, for example naming it for himself, and that name will appear then on all maps world wide?
    You'll give SGT members ideas!

One day we could wake up to find Arsenal Avenue, ColmX Crescent, LatintopXXX Lane, Bobsaigon Boulevard, Ronan Road, Smiles Street, or a Travellerjim Terrace!

11. User who gave Like to post:

AsDaRa (June 9th, 2018)

Banned
    Liked

If you had visited Shitsville more than once in the past decade, you might have been honored by Soi Scottie

13. User who gave Like to post:

scottish-guy (June 9th, 2018)

Liked

Being a shy and self-deprecating sort of chap I didn't like to include myself in the list - but Soi Scottie does seem apposite and with a show of fake reluctance worthy of an Oscar nomination I would accept it

Anyway - John F Kennedy has a Strasse in Berlin and he visited that wonderful city far less often than I've visited Pattaya .

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by AsDaRa View Post
    I wonder if privately owned streets receive names from the government or are officially unnamed? Can a private owner of a large street make up his own name for it, for example naming it for himself, and that name will appear then on all maps world wide?
    Absolutely, although I can't answer whether all maps will be labeled world wide.