Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A restful afternoon on Dongtan Beach Tuesday

Liked

A restful afternoon on Dongtan Beach Tuesday

As a retired expat for 12 years now in Pattaya, I still find it relaxing to spend time seated in the chairs under the umbrellas on Dongtan Beach.

Tuesday was another of those enjoyable moments. Courteous helpful service from the staff at Niyom Place across from Tuis Hotel. They see me with my four wheeled walker and promptly assist me to the chairs.

An ice cold soda and umbrella set up for me. The fruit seller lady brings me a large tray of fresh cut fruits to select at 20 Thai baht each.

As I needed a manicure and pedicure the skilled lady is happy to provide the service at 150 Thai baht each.

One of the massage men show up and of course I enjoy at least 30 minutes of foot and leg massage for 150 Thai baht.

I really like the later afternoon times as the umbrellas are taken down and the sunset begins. Relaxing and at times awesome views.

The beach is not what it used to be when I first visited Thailand. Gone are the grouping of Thai lads passing time in the chairs eyeing for an opportunity to be hosted by the visitors.

Also gone are many of my good expat friends who have passed on... They are missed very much by me.

Now having lived in Pattaya for twelve years now I find fewer and fewer friends to break bread with or enjoy a drink with. I'm long past the go-go club and nightly cruising around the sois of Sunee, Boyztown or Jomtien Complex.

I do look forward to several visits home to the USA... Many times with my Thai bf of 14+ years with me. And to other countries too.

Yesterday marked the 14th year since I first met my Thai bf one night in Bangkok May 29, 2004.

It's been a wonderful time with our share of ups and downs... I look forward to many more good years and times together...until that day as many have gone before me.
    Tj

Attached Images Attached Images
    Tj

2. 15 Users gave Like to post:

bobsaigon2 (May 30th, 2018), Dax (May 31st, 2018), dinagam (May 30th, 2018), Doug (May 30th, 2018), GWMinUS (June 1st, 2018), Jellybean (May 30th, 2018), Kenny (May 30th, 2018), Micky (May 30th, 2018), Oliver2 (May 31st, 2018), poshglasgow (May 31st, 2018), Robby (May 31st, 2018), searcher (May 31st, 2018), snotface (May 30th, 2018), splinter1949 (May 31st, 2018), Tintin (May 31st, 2018)

Liked

Re: A restful afternoon on Dongtan Beach Tuesday

I like that beach but the water is far too dirty.Its nice for a pleasant afternoon just to sit and enjoy the sunset.

4. 2 Users gave Like to post:

searcher (May 31st, 2018), travelerjim (May 30th, 2018)

Liked

Agreed.... Yes it is a great place to sit and watch... Not to swim. There are many other good and clean beaches in Thailand for those who enjoy swimming at the beach.
    Tj
    Tj

Liked

Glad you mentioned Niyom Place; that's the section I always sit in. I don't visit nearly as often as you, but they do seem to remember me each time. I'm happy they're still there; I hope to be back in Nov./ Dec. Maybe I'll see you there.

7. User who gave Like to post:

travelerjim (May 31st, 2018)

Liked

Despite all the changes I still enjoy going to the beach at Dongtan especially at this time of the year when the tide goes far out and I can walk for miles on firm damp sand.and when I get back to the chair I can relax with a cold drink and some food

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by pennyboy View Post
    Despite all the changes I still enjoy going to the beach at Dongtan especially at this time of the year when the tide goes far out and I can walk for miles on firm damp sand.and when I get back to the chair I can relax with a cold drink and some food
    I am curious, I too like to walk on this beach but usually when I'm there the tide does not go out too far and tide is usually in meaning having to walk
    on uncomfortable soft sand......what are the seasonal differences in the tide? what months best? what months worst?, I thought Thailand was just unlike UK where our tides goes in and out by big distances throughout the year?

Forum's veteran
    Liked

I think he means it goes out 100 metres or so and he can walk along the beach for miles!

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by wrapper View Post
    what are the seasonal differences in the tide? what months best? what months worst?

Pattaya: messy crowded beaches
    Pattaya is the beach resort highest in the Gulf of Thailand. That’s not a great distinction, for this enclosed body of water is thoroughly polluted by the discards of tens of millions of Thais living north of here, with the pollution being channelled down in the various rivers that empty their unsavory contents into the top of the Gulf. However, this high in the Gulf the tides are not affected so directly by the meeting, and cancelling, of opposing tides. So while they follow the general high-low, seasonal shifts, Pattaya tides are even more complex.
    During the daytime low tide – May through October – Pattaya’s beaches are not pretty. During the daytime high tide – November to March – they look much better, even if there is far less beach to be seen.
    by John Everingham
    http://true-beachfront.com/guide/gul...-all-day-night

Liked

With all the pollution you speak of I'm wondering if perhaps Thailand has an equivalent of what we used to have in Glasgow and Edinburgh: "The Jobby Boat".

This is a true story - a fleet of sizeable vessels which pensioners were allowed on for free to cruise into the Firth of Clyde and back. A lovely day out you might think.

However, once the boat got into the middle of the Firth of Clyde it would begin to discharge thousands of litres of human sewage which resulted in the formation of a mile long streak of effluent with seagulls following the trail and divebombing into it. Meanwhile the OAPs were having a whale of a time on the deck eating their sandwiches and listening to their transistor radios.

In a supreme stroke of genius I believe one was even named "Gardyloo" after the call that went out to people in the street below, in the days when you emptied your crap out the windows of your house.

Pattaya/Dongtan beaches don't seem quite so bad now do they

And Arsenal will be pleased at my post as it will allow him to make some acid comment which will go completely un-moderated.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by scottish-guy View Post
    thousands of litres of human sewage which resulted in the formation of a mile long streak of effluent............... Pattaya/Dongtan beaches don't seem quite so bad now do they.....

Actually there's not THAT much difference as I've noted streaks of shit not unlike the one you describe just off the beach in Pattaya, not to mention used condoms and tampax floating past my legs the few times I ventured in for a paddle - until I realised JUST how FILTHY the water was and is and since then never again ! It must be the only water in thailand where you come out dirtier than when you went in !