Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cultural Misunderstanding?

Liked

Re: Cultural Misunderstanding?

Quote Originally Posted by scottish-guy View Post
    I know how this is going to go - it's just a matter of who jumps in first

Yeah, same here. You get used to it though.

If people want to exclaim they know Thailand and its culture because they've been to Pattaya a bunch of times, up to them. That's kind of the equivalent of saying the red light district in Amsterdam speaks for all of the Netherlands. That would obviously be a really stupid thing to say, but just watch.... won't surprise me in the slightests if someone jumps in to let us know all Thai people are unintelligent, poverty striken, money grubbing liars.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by cdnmatt View Post
    Some random stranger would always help me out, and I'd offer money, and most times they would either scowl at me, or very reluctantly take it.
    So they would scowl at you? Now how would you know that?

Liked

Because they raised their tone of voice?

Liked

Oh, did they raise the tone of their voice to you? Interesting.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    So they would scowl at you? Now how would you know that?
    See post #20

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by cdnmatt View Post
    Cultural differences between Leo and myself? Not really, to be honest. Once we met I had already lived in Thailand for 6 years, so could speak Thai with him, knew exactly what village life as a rice farmer was like, had a decent understanding of family life and obligations, the precepts of Buddhism, the Buddhist holidays / festivals, etc. If anything, I would say it took more effort to make him realize I understood his world view than to actually understand it. Plus he's a pretty open minded and independent individual who is open to learning, so that naturally helped.

As for cultural differences in general? Again, I'd say the largest one is getting over the fact I no longer have privacy, and when people stop me on the street and begin asking questions, not to feel as though they're interrogating me. Instead, realize they're just playing their small role in taking care of the community and ensuring I don't need any help, and everything stays safe and peaceful, etc.
    n
    The other would have been several times trying to offer money to people after they helped me out. For a good while after going blind I would push my boundaries and limitations a little more than I should thinking I could do it on my own, only to get lost and disorientated. Some random stranger would always help me out, and I'd offer money, and most times they would either scowl at me, or very reluctantly take it. Upon getting home and telling Leo the story, he'd always get pissed off at me, and tell me to never offer money like that again because it's extremely rude, and if someone helps, it's just because they want to help.

I guess cooking was maybe another one, but that was easy to solve. Just put chilli paste in everything, and it magically turns delicious in his eyes.
    You crack me up every time. Remember the sleeping in the village thread, you vastly overestimate your knowledge of culture and customs in Thailand, let alone in lowland Lao.

But to your defense, the Lao would first have to allow you entry into their beautiful country before you can brush up on your knowledge