Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: lady boys

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Liked

Re: lady boys

Quote Originally Posted by Kertom View Post
    A culture with a history of poverty within living memory of most of the population will put more emphasis on being taken care off, have someone to treats them nicely in a relationship that is more submissive/dominant oriented.
    In western culture love has been known to include much more equality since the sixties and partnership.
    Sounds indeed very plausible, but I don't think it's the concept of love that is so different - love and crushes are probably more universal. I think it's more about what forms the basis of a marriage/relationships in difference cultures.

In northwestern Europe and Scandinavia (that I know well), the ideal relationship is considered to be the one between two equals and the two have to be homogenious to some extent - if one part is significantly richer or older or more educated than the other one, it causes weired looks, slander and raised eyebrows when you introduce your new partner to friends and families. People will question the motives, the foundation and the authencity of the relationship. Above all, it has to be strictly love-based. If romantic love is gone, the marrige/relationship is considered dead.

My perception of the Thais is that they are far less concerned about equality and homogeneity in a relationship and that practical matters, financial security, ability to support the in-law parents etc. etc. counts just as much. Feelings of love can grow based on this, but it is not a start-up condition for a good marriage/relationship. Calling it submissive/dominant is taking it a bit too far I think. I would rather put it this way: For a Thai, there is nothing to be ashamed about if you're uneducated and you marry an educated guy, or if you're much younger than him, or if you're from a poor background compared with him, and there is no reason to be ashamed of being obedient and serviceminded in such a relationship. On the contrary, most people will think you have done well, and the older/richer/more educate one won't lose prestige either.

2. User who gave Like to post:

AsDaRa (May 28th, 2018)