Quick navigation:
List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: Retirement in Thailand--Is boredom a problem?

Liked

Retirement in Thailand--Is boredom a problem?

This forum has many interesting discussions about finances, visas, housing and other issues involving retirement in Thailand.

How about boredom? Do those of you who have retired in Thailand ever get bored of living in Thailand.

Sure, Thailand has great food, amazing people, as well as the hottest guys, but is this enough to keep you mentally alert and happy? What do you do to keep yourself busy?

I should note that I have been coming to [and dare I say cumming in] Thailand for almost 40 years, but my longest visit has about 3 weeks. Yes, I am sad to leave Thailand when I do, but I am also glad to get back to work, except when I have been involved with very difficult and corrupt projects in countries that I shall not mention....

I am thinking about retiring, but deep down I like my work (civil engineering projects), and think that I would be bored if I did not work, at least part-time. I have done a little analysis and have found that it would be much easier to work part-time in Switzerland or Europe....

Yes, I have been offered part-time engineering work in Thailand by a former Thai classmate with whom I studied engineering in the U.S. He has his own firm, and has retired because of serious health problems. Unfortnately, his son, who has assumed leadership of the firm, has neither the work ethic or talent of his father. Moreover, the projects seem to involve a lot of corruption and ass-kissing of government officials. Yes, there are other firms, as well as investments in major projects from China, Japan, and Europe.... But working part-time in Thailand in my field seems so complicated....

Of course, European projects have their own forms of corruption, but I know better how to deal with them.

And those of you from colder climates in Europe, North America and else where, don't you miss the changing of seasons? And snow???

I could throw myself into learning Thai...I know several languages fluently, and have a good ear for languages. But that would also be boring

2. 2 Users gave Like to post:

aussie_ (May 20th, 2018), christianpfc (May 18th, 2018)

Liked

Re: Retirement in Thailand--Is boredom a problem?

People can get bored, regardless of where they retire. Boredom sets in when certain things you once found interesting, and which attracted you in the first place, gradually become commonplace.

The secret to a happy retirement, no matter what country you are in, is keeping busy everyday, imho.

When I retired I soon found myself dying to get back to work. I took very early retirement and soon realised that I was spending a lot of time by myself, as my friends were all still working. Suddenly, I was taking holidays by myself.

At night it wasn't a problem as we'd always meet up for drinks, dinner, a movie etc. But I hated the daytime.

So I started doing volunteer work and never looked back.

I find Pattaya very boring during the day so I don't think I could ever retire there. Volunteer work would be difficult as I don't speak the language, and unless I took up golf or some other sporting activity to get me out of the house, I think I'd go nuts.

Also, I need to have close friends with whom I can talk to in my own language about a variety of subjects.

I could only retire in Japan or Australia, as that's where my friends are. Thailand will forever be just a place to visit.

4. 2 Users gave Like to post:

paborn (May 18th, 2018), werner (May 20th, 2018)

Liked

Yes, boredom can be a problem if retired in Thailand especially true during the days but not so in the evenings.Having a hobby can be a help.
    For me, I was bored at home and no activity in the evenings so living in Thailand is an improvement.

6. 3 Users gave Like to post:

aussie_ (May 20th, 2018), catawampuscat (May 20th, 2018), werner (May 20th, 2018)

Liked

I travel extensively all over Thailand. If I stayed at once place, I would get bored. But I'm physically fit and can walk for hours.

A friend of mine (over 70, and could barely walk to the next 7-Eleven) stayed in his room most of the time, watching TV or reading book, with the occasional visitor like me for chat, and the occasional Thai boy for sex.

I have many Farang friends for mental stimulation, and some Thai friends/regulars for sexual stimulation.

Learning Thai would be a good start to spend time and to settle in better.

8. 3 Users gave Like to post:

aussie_ (May 20th, 2018), llz (May 21st, 2018), werner (May 20th, 2018)

Liked

Thanks to all of you for your insightful comments.

I think that I agree with a447--Thailand is a place to visit, but probably not a place to retire.

In the meantimes, I have been offered some good part-time jobs in the German-speaking areas of Switzerland, but I do NOT think that I want to retire there.....

Liked

Depends on you. You can easily make good expat friends without issue, have dinner parties, etc. You can easily continue any desired research projects I'm sure, as the internet allows for that these days. There's loads of charities and volunteer organizations you could get involved in if desired.

As the old saying goes, it's up to the person, not the place.

11. User who gave Like to post:

Blacktouch (May 24th, 2018)

Liked

Why would anyone be any more bored retired in Thailand than retired at home ?

In a place like Pattaya, it appears quite easy to make some new friends.
    Also, there is all of SE Asia to travel around. With cheap hotel rooms, an awful lot of traveling can be done.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by goji View Post
    Why would anyone be any more bored retired in Thailand than retired at home ..
    Because they're mostly there for one thing - boys - and bugger all happens during the day in that respect, and it's often too hot to move about?

I wouldn't want to be retired in Pattaya (and I wouldn't reside elsewhere in Thailand) - unless I had a business interest of some sort to keep me active