Quote Originally Posted by a447 View Post
I can best judge the German guy from my own experiences with him.

When I first saw him I thought, What a miserable old bastard! Here he was, running a very successful bar in Thailand and raking in the money, yet always looking unhappy and unapproachable.

So one night I decided to approach him. I asked him, in German, how he was going and what business was like. To my surprise he engaged with me in conversation and we had a very enjoyable chat.

I wasn't looking for friendship; rather, I was interested in what it was like to run a business in Thailand.

And that's why I used to sit and chat with Neal outside Happy Place in Pattaya. It was more of a monologue with Neal doing all the talking, but I found his stories about the trials and tribulations of running a gay bar fascinating.

And unlike the German, who has always been very interested in my life and has asked me many questions, Neal never asked me a single question - it was all about him.

I take people as they come and consider myself to be non-judgemental - until the bullshit starts. To me, he comes across as very genuine.

I also tend to trust people. Ok, I got it wrong with Neal but we live and learn.

So as far as I'm concerned, the German is a really nice, friendly guy. That may be because I don't go up to him and constantly complain about the over-priced drinks in Dreamboys. I also know he's suffering various serious health problems - nothing to smile about, I'd imagine.

But I'm guessing here.

I also remember a conversation I had a few years ago with a guy who worked at Dreamboys and he described him as "a good boss. Good heart".

So who knows?
a447,

Thanks for writing in some detail.

I feel very, very bad about having made some derogatory remarks about the owner of Dream Boys. I would like to apologize to him and to his friends.

He has run an interesting and successful bar that I have visited many times. Perhaps when I approached him to say hello, he just was very busy or in a bad mood.

If and when I visit the bar again, I will apologize to him personally if he is there. I hope that he will accept my sincere apology.

P.S. I wonder if he and the other owners/managers of the gay venues read this forum.....