Because believe it or not, as it turns out, the government are cunts. Who would have thought, eh?

They won't issue me a new passport, because my current passport has more than 12 months validity. Tried twice now, and failed both times. Will try one more time, and currently have Leo running arouns SE Asia gathering up the necessary documentation, as my father accidentally threw it all into the recycle bin.

Technically, I can still travel on my existing passport, but realistically, it's as useful as a coaster. More than likely, I can't even go to Mexico for a 4 day vacation, or even cross the US border for a 1 hour shopping trip with that passport.

If they deny the issuance of a new passport again, I'll just sue the federal government. I'll effectively be barred from leaving the country until next February, so fuck it, I'll have 9 months to kill, and nothing else to do. This is especially aggravating considering I've read reports on the internet of how people have had that 12 month validity rule relaxed for reasons such as they just wanted to sync their expiration date with their wife's passport.

If they don't issue me passport, they are effectively denying me passport services, which they are not allowed to do. I don't meet any of the criteria to be denied a passport (I read the law). They will effectively be banning me from leaving Canada, hence will be denying a disabled individual access to his caretaker, hence denying me quality of life.

I don't know, I'll try to get a new passport issued one more time, before I settle in for the fact I'm stuck in Canada until next February.