Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: Reverse Culture Shock?

Liked

Re: Reverse Culture Shock?

Quote Originally Posted by cdnmatt View Post
    Of course I'll avoid Bangkok, but was just saying I can't possibly see it being a problem. They're not going to grab me upon deplaning unless I'm wanted for criminal charges. They would prefer not to throw me into IDC, and that would only happen if I tried to pass through immigration.

Nonetheless, Nanaimo -> Vancouver -> Seoul -> Ho Chi Ming -> Vientiane looks good.
    The trouble is that especially with different airlines involved, that blacklist stamp is probably enough reason for an airline to deny you boarding, as especially if you do not transfer with the same airline, they are not going to take chances with you.

Liked

Oh shit, I didn't even think of that. Unsure, as my parents can't tell what stamps are from what country, but I have 4 on March 25th. If one of those happens to be from Laos saying refusal of entry, I probably can't even board the plane in Canada.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by cdnmatt View Post
    Oh shit, I didn't even think of that. Unsure, as my parents can't tell what stamps are from what country, but I have 4 on March 25th. If one of those happens to be from Laos saying refusal of entry, I probably can't even board the plane in Canada.
    No... a blacklist stamp is bad news, a refusal of entry stamp won't be, it just that you have been refused entry at that time, it gives no guarantee you will be refused again, the blacklist stamp does, it is 100% sure you won't get into Thailand, and that IS a problem for any airline flying to Thailand.

If I were you, I would get a Lao tourist visa just in case.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by cndmatt
    Oh shit, I didn't even think of that.
    Oh god what a drama queen this boy is. I can't keep up ... could any sane person keep up?
    He's gotten 5 pages -- my settings -- so far. Not a record mind you but obviously we are not finished, just slower.
    Our Board loser par excellence.
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

5. User who gave Like to post:

francois (June 7th, 2018)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by justaguy View Post
    ...If I were you, I would get a Lao tourist visa just in case.
    This is what's called hitting the nail on the head.

Technically you can still be refused entry to any country even with a pre-approved Visa, but given that you'd be sending your passport in to the Laos consular authorities and thus they'd be aware of any and all blacklist/denied entry stamps - if they still issue you a Visa I think you could be as confident as it's possible to be that you'd get through.

It could also go a long way in avoiding difficulties with boarding.

Finally, who the fuck invented the very ugly term "deplaning"? What was wrong with "disembarking"?

Liked

Nah, fuck the tourist VISA, as that doesn't mean anything obviously. I had one when I crossed into Laos at Nong Khai, and still got refused entry.

That, and nowhere in Canada issues tourist VISAs for Laos. Vancouver only has a Laos consulate, not embassy. I'd have to mail my passport over to Washington to get a tourist VISA, and fuck that. Doesn't seem to matter any anyway.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

So, are you GOING or not then, my god you could be there by now man - or by back home again, either way you'd know instead of just sitting there going round in circles.

And Justaguy is correct that a big refusal of entry stamp does in no way preclude you from entering a country again later, if merely states you were refused entry on that occassion. I was stopped going to the US ( there was a technical issue with the flight AFTER I'd cleared US Immigration here in Ireland) and so they "deplaned" me and sent me back "into ireland" ( i.e through a door in the airport in my case) I then went through the same boarding process the next day and YES I was asked "what happened you were denied entry" I told them, they simply shrugged their shoulders, said ok and away I went on with my journey, no big deal.

So, as ou now been told numerous times by many people - you've got a valid passport, you've got no legal reason to be denied into Laos and the only thing holding you in Canada it seems is yourself so please, do us all a favour, either decide to go or dont and then do either and give over moaning about a problem that doesn't actually exist perhaps,

Liked

Having to mail your application and passport to a third party country is a bit of a first world problem, others are quite used to it - but you seem determined to rock up at a Laotian immigration desk with little or no preparation - so all anybody can do is wish you luck.

Liked

Oh he made up his mind already of course, he never listens to people offering advice. If he would have, he might now just be in Lao for several months already. Some people never learn.

I don't think he is in any hurry to get to Lao, he is making excuses to not go. Some of these are just ludicrous. Like the new passport thingy, I would have that passport already months ago...

Liked

The favourite best laugh I've had during the never-ending Cndmatt Chronicles was the
    delicious juxtaposition of Matt now living in the highly middle class comfort of west coast British Columbia, bitcoin sale at the ready . . . and just some months ago insisting he would soon be in Laos and he-himself will be hunkered down in a mini-tent -- all by himself -- in the mosquito infested, humid and waterlogged jungle: the dogs barking for a return to the easy going Khon Kaen stroll, the family arguing loudly on the other side of the rice paddy (talking about "that Ting Tong"), snakes a-crawling, and he a-claiming that all he needed was a sleeping bag and a machete ... writing a book.

(Yep ... that's one sentence!)
    Last edited by Smiles; June 11th, 2018 at 01:20.
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

12. User who gave Like to post:

francois (June 11th, 2018)