Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: Reverse Culture Shock?

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: Reverse Culture Shock?

You will have to ask Matt's script writer, but wasn't it that he was worried about being denied entry to Laos rather than anything the Canadians might do?

Forum's veteran
    Liked

yes, but already told there that if he'd of flown in in the first instance rather than by a land border he'd of probably been fine, either way for the sake of $1500- $2000 fare one would think it would be better to go and find out one way or the other rather than leaving poor Leo and the dogs to fend for themselves if not financially but emotionally. Mind you if that $2000 is to much to risk to find out then one would wonder at the wisdom of going back at all perhaps if he cant even afford the plane fare now ! Those bitcoin must have really nose dived eh ( except they haven't of course !)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Surfcrest View Post
    Not entirely. There are tax implications...since you probably haven't filed a tax return since you lived in Canada.You also, don't qualify for benefits, seeing as how you haven't been a taxpayer paying for those benefits.If you need medical care, perhaps don't mention that you've been out of the country and come up with an excuse why your MSP card isn't one we've used for quite some time. Being blind (no disrespect) might help.
    Yeah, don't think I will do that, as could see how that would easily backfire. Go ask for some form of benefits and convince them I've been in Canada this whole time, and their response would be something like, "Ok, here's your $3000 in benefits, plus $280,000 tax bill for the last 10 years.". I think they can only come after you for back taxes for 10 years, right. In that case, I'm basically in the clear, as last time I resided in Canada was 2008 for one year, and I got a passport with overstay entries to prove it!

Besides, I don't need or want any benefits anyway. Maybe in 15 years or so when they figure out how to regenerate optic nerves, but not now. Hell, II'm staying at a #800k house rent free, so can't complain.

4. User who gave Like to post:

Surfcrest (June 2nd, 2018)

Liked

@NIrishGuy -- Again, technically, yes I can still travel on that passport. Realistically, it's as useful as a coaster for my coffee mug, and the passport officers know this. They're just being dicks.

I was thinking I would head to the US border first during my next Vancouver trip, just to get a quick refusal of entry letter, helping prove to the Canadian government that I can not travel on that passport. Having second thoughts now though after what Surfcrest said, because he is right. US immigration officers have the power to blacklist for 5 years just because they don't like your hairstyle, and there's no right to appeal, so probably shouldn't risk that one. Would imagine I'll want to visit the US sometime in the next 5 years for work. Maybe a quick flight to Mexico and getting deported from there would help. I would be very surprised if any country let me in with that passport.

I have no idea if I would be allowed entry into Laos or not if I flew into Vientiane. I know I was refused entry once due to that blacklist stamp once, and maybe the Nong Khai cops were right, and flying into Vientiane would have yielded a different result. I don't know. However, I do know it's about $1500 for a return flight (need the return portion or won't be allowed to board the plane), and a decent chance of getting refused entry again. If that happens, then I get thrown into a cell for a couple days, and spend another $2000 for an urgent flight back to Canada on an airline of their choice. That's $3500 just to spend a couple nights in a Laos holding cell and a couple more days on planes.

Maybe I'd get lucky, and get through, but then what? There's a good chance in the near future I will need to visit Israel for business, as he already wants me there. How the hell am I supposed to get into Israel with that passport? There's not a chance. Same goes for Taiwan, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Cyprus, etc.

And I can't get a new passport in a few months. Jan 26th, 2019 is when I can apply for a new one. Again, best way is to try one last time to convince them to lift that 12 month validity rule again.

Liked

OK, I have not been following this, just bump into your situatiion as I read. But, if memory serves me well, there is a small Island off eastern Canada that is a depatment of France. Could you not visit it rather cheaply?

Liked

No idea what island you're talking about, but even if it exists, Mexico would be far cheaper to travel to than Eastern Canada. I'm as west as you can get, that's about as east as you can get, and Canada is a really fucken big country that spans 5 timezones.

You most likely just heard about some island somewhere in the Atlantic that speak French, but I'm sure is still part of Canada. Kinda like Quebec. Can't see the French government actually controlling some small rock out in the Atlantic close to Canada. That would be stupid.

Liked

You were told from the very beginning to not leave Thailand overland. But alas you did not listen. I know a few people that have been blacklisted, and yes they can still travel on their passports even with the Thai blacklist stamp. I am almost 100% certain that the US will let you cross no questions asked. You are a Canadian citizen, and unless you look like a bum they won't care about a black list stamp from Thailand. If those immigration officers are like your average Americans, they won't even know where exactly Thailand is located.

By the way, there is NO onward ticket requirement for Lao PDR, so it is perfectly possible to get a one way ticket.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by cdnmatt View Post
    ... Can't see the French government actually controlling some small rock out in the Atlantic close to Canada. That would be stupid.
    The British do it with the Falkland Islands 300 miles east of South America and also with Gibraltar off the south coast of Spain - sense doesn't come into it

Liked

Just to add a bit more rot to Cndmatt's melodrama(s): now that you are back in Canada (never to leave by the sound of it) he'd better watch out for the CRA. A few posts back Surfcrest alluded to Matt's never having filed a tax return, or at least hasn't for many a year.
    This is Very Big Deal if found out, and costly. The CRA is much smarter than Cndmatt. It's against the law in Canada to not file, even if the person is abroad, or has no income at all, and/or is deemed a non-resident of Canada.

Cndmatt is his own worst enemy, he over-rates his own intelligence every time he puts finger to keyboard, or opens his mouth. He fucks up everything he touches. A walking talking disaster on wheels.
    ------------------------------------------
    ASIDE: the French islands Paborn is refering to above are named St Pierre and Michelon (sp?). They are in fact part of France ... a last remanent of the French empire in North America. The islands are about 30 miles from the southern coast of Newfoundland.
    Last edited by Smiles; June 2nd, 2018 at 05:24.
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

11. 2 Users gave Like to post:

francois (June 2nd, 2018), Surfcrest (June 2nd, 2018)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by cdnmatt View Post
    No idea what island you're talking about, but even if it exists, Mexico would be far cheaper to travel to than Eastern Canada. I'm as west as you can get, that's about as east as you can get, and Canada is a really fucken big country that spans 5 timezones.

You most likely just heard about some island somewhere in the Atlantic that speak French, but I'm sure is still part of Canada. Kinda like Quebec. Can't see the French government actually controlling some small rock out in the Atlantic close to Canada. That would be stupid.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Saint Pierre and Miquelon, officially the Overseas Collectivity of Saint Pierre and Miquelon (French: Collectivité d'Outre-mer de Saint-Pierre-et-Miquelon, French pronunciation: ​[sɛ̃.pjɛʁ.e.mi.klɔ̃]), is a self-governing territorial overseas collectivity of France, situated in the northwestern Atlantic Ocean near the Newfoundland and Labrador province of Canada.[3] It is the only part of New France that remains under French control,[3] with an area of 242 km2 and a population of 6,080 at the January 2011 census.[1]

Sorry for redundancy. Posted simultaneously with Smiles