Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Reverse Culture Shock?

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: Reverse Culture Shock?

You have 8 months left on your current VALID passport, you can travel on it, you were told if you flew into Laos you'd probably be admitted - what's stopping you from trying, they can only say no and then you're back to Canada no worse off than before - but at least you tried, as apparently your other option now is just to give up until Jan 2019, as you're obviously not going to change the Canadian Governments mind on this one by the looks of it. So, what's keeping you. just go........or MAYBE you're actually happy enough being back home just and it's all a good cover for poor Leo as to why you can't POSSIBLY return for several months "at LEAST".......

Liked

Well, I don't know that for sure. That's what the cops in Nong Khai said, but who knows if that's right.

That, and finances are tight again. Spending $2000 just to get deported would be really stupid at the moment. Who knows, it's online software, so that could easily change any hour or day.

Once I get some cash, and that documentation from Leo, I'll give it another spin. Will also head to the US for a "shopping trip" where I'm quite confident I will be refused entry. The Canadian government says I can still travel on that passport, but I know full well I can't, and will prove it to them.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Or......they could be right and you could be in Laos RIGHT NOW, with Leo and making those same calls you're making now to find work, from there and together - but hey, where would be the drama in that right - oh no, wait, I'm SURE there would still be plenty.

Bottom line is you DO have a VALID passport, you've been told you can travel on it by your Government, you've been told you'll more than likely get into Laos with it ( as its just a normal valid passport albeit with a stamp saying you're excluded from THAILAND just), but you're CHOOSING not to bother going to try and find out and THAT is the bottom line no matter WHAT way you try to dress it up as anything other than that. You've a higher than 50-50 chance of succeeding and you could be in Laos by the end of the week - I really cant think what's stopping you - aside from your own lack of will that is.

And as for a lack of funds sure just dip into your Bit coin reserves that you'd plenty of before as sure the bitcoin price is still great so you must be doing / have done well out of all that so you couldn't be THAT skint that you cant afford a flight - as if thats the case then perhaps you shouldn't ever being going back - or if you think no it's fine I can make money in no time again - well, as I said, so, what's keeping you !! Get on with it !

4. User who gave Like to post:

Smiles (May 30th, 2018)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Nirish guy View Post
    well, as I said, so, what's keeping you !! Get on with it !
    The script writer is having a holiday

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by cdnmatt View Post
    Well, I don't know that for sure. That's what the cops in Nong Khai said, but who knows if that's right.

That, and finances are tight again. Spending $2000 just to get deported would be really stupid at the moment. Who knows, it's online software, so that could easily change any hour or day.

Once I get some cash, and that documentation from Leo, I'll give it another spin. Will also head to the US for a "shopping trip" where I'm quite confident I will be refused entry. The Canadian government says I can still travel on that passport, but I know full well I can't, and will prove it to them.
    Don't be silly, why would the US refuse you entry ? Because of a blacklist stamp from a mickey mouse country like Thailand ? The Canadian government is right, you can travel on your passport, short from travelling to Thailand...

Liked

Yes, about 55,000 Canadian passports are reported as lost / stolen each year. Nonetheless, considering my luck, I'm not risking it. That, and I don't know what if any notes the passport office has logged about me due to my previous two tries. There's always the chance they will say "we know you lost it intentionally", then deny me passport services for 5 or 10 years.

Right now I'm only being denied passport services until Jan 26th, 2019. Would prefer not to have that extended until 2029 or so, which they can do if they decide to be complete cunts. Much better if I just try to go the legit route, and simply get them to lift that validity restriction. Working on it.
    Even IF they suspect you lost it on purpose, you are very likely to receive a shiny new passport. You are just looking for silly excuses not to go. Whether you don't want to re-unite with Leo, or just want to drag this whole saga on, out of sheer boredom I don't know. A silly excuse this most certainly is.

Liked

Well, like a lot of folks...my BF was robbed in the theft capital of the world...Barcelona and that included the small bag containing his passport.

Fortunately, we were well prepared with the necessary back-up documentation to identify and replace the lost passport temporarily in Madrid for our re-scheduled flight back home. When my partner returned home, he had to take the temporary passport (that doesn't look like a passport) to the passport office to apply for a new one. That's when things got unpleasant. Even if your passport is stolen, our ridiculous gov't blames the holder for not being more careful. A new passport is issued, but not with the same expiry as the original or with a new issue. They tell you, even if an asteroid lands on your head and squashes you into oblivion...they won't be replacing the replacement ever again...no matter what, until that expiry date comes and goes.

Some years back, some Israeli agents were doing nasty things in the world while using stolen Canadian passports. Ever since then, they've been ugly about passport replacements...especially the unexplained...where you and they don't know for sure where the lost passport is.

It's sad that such a beautiful country as ours is run by a pack of idiots!

Surfcrest

Liked

You know what happens when an illegal immigrant leaves Canada after a 5 year overstay? Absolutely nothing, except maybe a note quietly gets added to an internal immigration database for future VISA applications. That's it, and I'm uncertain if it even goes that far, as there are no exit points in Canada.
    Not entirely. There are tax implications...since you probably haven't filed a tax return since you lived in Canada.You also, don't qualify for benefits, seeing as how you haven't been a taxpayer paying for those benefits.If you need medical care, perhaps don't mention that you've been out of the country and come up with an excuse why your MSP card isn't one we've used for quite some time. Being blind (no disrespect) might help.

Additionally, a temporary passport may get you home...but it does not look like a passport and can not be used for travelling anywhere else outside Canada until it is replaced. The Americans will not accept a temporary and you'd be crazy to even try, especially with someone with you. Your partner would be deported if you don't qualify to be there and his qualification is based on yours. If you try to use a temporary passport when the passport office or CBSA tells you you can't, they won't replace that passport for a very long time...as I said until the replacement expires. If you get stopped at the US border, you could be denied entry to the US permanently or have to ask permission each and every time, for the rest of your life.

The folks that run our gov't are idiots...and our neighbors to the south, in this time of Trump...also have a gov't of idiots.

Surfcrest

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Surfcrest View Post
    They tell you, even if an asteroid lands on your head and squashes you into oblivion...they won't be replacing the replacement ever again...no matter what, until that expiry date comes and goes.
    Just as well that Matt has a fully valid and useable passport then eh - and one with such a short ( 8 months) expiry date so once in Laos in a week or two he can look forward to getting his shiny new replacement sent out to him there then in just a few months from now then eh.....

Oh and the Brits are exactly the same about the Asteroid thing - they'll give you one replacement ( very begrudgingly) but you lose that one, dont bother applying for a new one ! I'm not sure and I've never heard if they ACTUALLY hold to that and it's maybe not just a line they fire out to warn you to be more careful but it's not a scenario I'd like to find myself in to find out the answer too perhaps either !

11. User who gave Like to post:

Surfcrest (June 2nd, 2018)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Surfcrest View Post
    If you try to use a temporary passport when the passport office or CBSA tells you you can't, they won't replace that passport for a very long time..t
    So again, just as well it's not a temporary travel document Matt was issued but a full passport with a limited expiry date ( rather than the usual 10 years etc) and also lucky then that his very own CBSA HAVE told him he can use it too - there comes a point of what more does he want them to do, they've issued him a new passport as requested AND confirmed he can use it to travel to Laos, so may be about him he was getting on with it just perhaps and stop trying to second guess the department he seemingly needs to keep fighting with over something they've already given him.