List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Moses - a searchable map ?? Do'able or not ?

Liked

Re: Moses - a searchable map ?? Do'able or not ?

It's not just you.

I often have to go to meetings in various parts of London and I have all but given up on Google Maps on my phone. It invariably sends me about 500m in the wrong direction before re-orienting itself to send me another 500m in the direction I've just come from (which still turns out to be incorrect)

You can't beat a paper map!

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Nirish guy View Post
    Moses - to follow on from the above - and I realise that I'm now pushing my luck but, what I was thinking / wondering was whether the function or capability exists to have something like the google maps search field entry box ( i.e the box where you type the and address of a premises or location) and that then opens a pop up window on the page then showing that location - simply for quick reference - with that either being posted on the top of threads or built in as a searchable button on the site to be used whenever someone wants to check the location of wherever is being discussed.
    No, Google not allows such thing with their maps. Even these functions what I made yesterday - I made em with some tricks, and they are living "last days" of using for free. Since June 11 Google imposes payment for using their API. I use API for my sites and that cost me $200 monthly, here I just share some part of paid "page views", cuz I don't use all of them monthly. But if usage on my main sites will take more "page views", or "page views" here will take more than 30% of total - then I will make changes in map creation here (for example: maybe only Senior members will have possibility to create maps here, or I will keep only "communal" maps).
    Bali (Indonesia), Cambodia, Myanmar, Philippines, Thailand, Vietnam and Laos: gay guides and companions http://siamroads.com

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Ah right Ok, I understood about half of that mind you - and not because of english - just more the technical aspect !

But ok, I think I get the idea, i.e that that's somehting that YOU would have to pay for now and that there simply just isn't enough page views to warrant the expense I think you're saying - and if that's the case then fair enough ! It was worth a try

Meanwhile anyone wanting to highlight a location via a map CAN still post a image of same with the location pinned to the map and post to the board as normal of course.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Nirish guy View Post
    But ok, I think I get the idea, i.e that that's somehting that YOU would have to pay for now and that there simply just isn't enough page views to warrant the expense I think you're saying - and if that's the case then fair enough ! It was worth a try
    Opposite: monthly I buy some quantity of "page views" or "impressions" of Goggle's maps and some other services on the pages of my sites. I can't buy less - it is "package". So I have some spare "impressions" what are unused at the end of each month. I just gave these "spare impressions" to Sawatdee. It is about 30% of the "package" what I have. But if Sawatdee will use more than I have for to share, or my sites will use more in future, then I will limit usage of "impressions" here - for to stay within limits of "package".
    Bali (Indonesia), Cambodia, Myanmar, Philippines, Thailand, Vietnam and Laos: gay guides and companions http://siamroads.com

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Ahh right, ok, I get it now. Thanks

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by scottish-guy View Post
    It's not just you.

I often have to go to meetings in various parts of London and I have all but given up on Google Maps on my phone. It invariably sends me about 500m in the wrong direction before re-orienting itself to send me another 500m in the direction I've just come from (which still turns out to be incorrect)

You can't beat a paper map!
    Then there must be something wrong with the location given to you on google maps. Before I got my first smartphone in 2013, I did navigate with paper maps. But since I have googlemaps on my phone, I use this exclusively in the field.

Nonetheless I still buy paper maps, but use them only at home to see the greater picture.

The advantage of googlemaps is multiple: it shows you where you are and you can change the scale of the map and you can search for places.

Liked

Agreed it shows you where you are - but the directions to get to where you want to be are just haywire in a built up area (in my experience)