Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cambodian work visa.

Liked

Cambodian work visa.

A friend of mine who is from Cambodia tells me he has no work visa and got caught.What is the fine and does he get kicked out?
    Many thanks.

Liked

Re: Cambodian work visa.

Quote Originally Posted by frequentfliers View Post
    A friend of mine who is from Cambodia tells me he has no work visa and got caught.What is the fine and does he get kicked out?
    Many thanks.
    I know only 2 cases and at both cases they were departed from Th, no fines.
    Bali (Indonesia), Cambodia, Myanmar, Philippines, Thailand, Vietnam and Laos: gay guides and companions http://siamroads.com

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Neal ( Happy Place owner) got caught but was able via his lawyer ( who was called and asked to attend very late at night after Neal had been arrested? / held) to arrange a suitable urgent payment / "fine" / fee to a suitable person to a suitable work permit issued within a few hours.

That was a while ago now so perhaps things have toughened up but I do remember Neal saying that it cost him dearly at the time (maybe 100,000 or more baht cash plus legal fees but dont quote me on that figure?) - but I also remember him saying that if he hadn't of had that cash tucked away he felt that he REALLY was genuinely in the shit and that they WERE going to deport him and it was only the speed, knowledge and contacts of his lawyer ( who he gave a lot of business too as some may recall) that was able to stop his deportation happening ( or so the laywer claimed anyway).

That was why those familiar with seeing Neal sitting outside the bar would ONLY see him sitting outside the bar in general as he was always frightened to death to lift as much as a glass for fear of someone accusing him of "working" - which in the end is EXACTLY how and what he WAS arrested for if I recall ( some might say he was set up by others, I couldn't possibly comment.) Anyway my point is back then anyway with swift action and enough cash the matter was resolved ( as I'm sure most things in Thailand can be giving those two available options)

Liked

He said they want 5000bht for the fine.Not sure about that though,maybe low season is worse than he expected..

Forum's veteran
    Liked

I guess it’s quite possible if your friendly is just a run of mill bar guy ( no offence intended there btw) and he’s not some “businessman” with available funds and also depending on who he’s been detained by ie just the local police guy or the actual Immigration police etc that “might” be quite plausible - although 5k does sound a little light perhaps - or as you say maybe rent day is coming up just and that excuse / reason has already been worn out before ? Oh what to do. Decisions decisions eh.

Liked

Vessey, one of the regulars on the GT Board has reported that his regular Cambodian Massage boy (Chai, featured in many trip reports) was arrested for working in a Pattaya massage shop without a valid visa

Cops arrested 5 boys and 4 girls, all Cambodian, from outside the 2nd road shop, the Thai boss wouldn't cough up so they were all carted away

They were remanded to the Pattaya remand jail for 2 months awaiting trial and were then released after paying a fine
    Sounds like your friend got off lightly... or paid a bribe before he entered the judicial system!
    Buffalo me die! Send Money!

Forum's veteran
    Liked

I know a Vietnamese boy who said they caught him working. Mentioned 15000 Bt.
    I just ignored it, of course.

Liked

I befriended a Myanmar boy who was/is working in Klong Toey market illegally. One day, about two years ago, he messaged me that he got caught by police and needs 10 kTHB to buy his way out. I offered to contribute 1000, but he never took me up on this offer. Months later, he was back at work. That leaves the question: would the police let people they arrested keep and use their phone (they could warn others, or send pictures or information from prison).

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by christianpfc View Post
    That leaves the question: would the police let people they arrested keep and use their phone (they could warn others, or send pictures or information from prison).
    Depends which "prison" he was in. The IDC? No, no phones or anything allowed.

If the police were trying to extract 10k out of him though, then I'm sure he wasn't at the IDC. Was most likely at some small local holding cell somewhere, and in that case, sure, phones, laptops whatever you want is allowed. Those are the places where the police will even buy you food from the market or alcohol if you give them money.

Liked

I struggle to understand what is meant by a 'work visa'.

In order to work in Thailand a migrant requires a 'work permit' from the Ministry of Labour. This is distinct from a visa which is obtained from Immigration. In the run up to March 31, the way in which migrants were being treated in Chiang Mai was disgraceful. In Hang Dong, officials were taking a handful of queue tickets and throwing them in the air so that migrants had to scramble on the floor for them. At the Ministry of Labour people were queuing for as long as three of four days in the heat and the sun.