Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: google and getting around

Liked

Re: google and getting around

If you have an iPhone, try the app called Blind Square. It will even talk to you while it tells you where to go, and when to make a turn, etc.

2. User who gave Like to post:

paborn (April 23rd, 2018)

Liked

Just buy SIM for tourists and you will eliminate all problems
    Bali (Indonesia), Cambodia, Myanmar, Philippines, Thailand, Vietnam and Laos: gay guides and companions http://siamroads.com

4. 2 Users gave Like to post:

francois (April 23rd, 2018), paborn (April 23rd, 2018)

Liked

delete

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Alas a local Sim doesn’t always fix ALL of your problems as for work and family reasons etc some people do need to retain their home phone link with people able to call them when needed etc.

Unfortunately I think they’re a thing of the past now as of maybe two or three years ago just as governments wanted to keep a better track of Sims out there or maybe it was the phone firms wanting to take in some extra money, not sure which, but you used to be able to buy a dual SIM card which allowed you to keep your home country Sim and purchase a new local sim and run them both at the same time in your phone, with you simply switching between the two at the click of a button or logging m in and out of each as you required.

I had one for a while in Thailand and also used it here in the UK too to allow me to in effect have both a work and private phone account - basically was like having two separate phone on the go at the same time. So ask around and see can you get your hands on one of those still THAT I think would be your ideal answer perhaps.

7. User who gave Like to post:

Forum's veteran Brad the Impala's Avatar
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Nirish guy View Post
    Alas a local Sim doesn’t always fix ALL of your problems as for work and family reasons etc some people do need to retain their home phone link with people able to call them when needed etc.
    You can just leave a voice message on your original phone giving the number of your new Thai Sim, so that people who need to call you know to use that number.

9. User who gave Like to post:

Forum's veteran
    Liked

He he yes you could, but that for me would have had the downside of course of letting people know where you are,

Many a time I nipped away for either long weekends or a quick 8 week trip to Thailand lol and was able to almost pretend I was either at my desk or driving up the M1 to a meeting when I was perhaps more likely on my way to Jomtien. I could either accept calls and take them as normal or just decline then and call them back later “when I was out of my meeting” - and all from my “uk” number - that wee trick proved very handy sometimes at various times when dealing with my UK bank when trying to assuring them that yes of COURSE I was 100% focused and working hard to clear all their mortgages, all whilst actually sitting at some bar in Sunee perhaps :-)

Alas as that dual sim availability died out I just found it easier to change away from a small N.Irish bank to a more international one and now I ( and they) could care less where I am these days thankfully.

11. 2 Users gave Like to post:

christianpfc (April 24th, 2018), paborn (April 23rd, 2018)

Liked

Dual SIM slot phones are probably more readily available in Asia (inc Thailand) than in the USA but probably the easiest solution is keep your current phone as is and just pick a cheap low-end smartphone in Thailand for a few thousand Baht and a local SIM for a few hundred Baht

bkkguy

Liked

And it's always a good idea to have a spare phone.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

So, while we’re at the good collective good advice I might as well add if having a spare phone tucked away ( as I usually do when travelling) then be sure to have your daily use phone backed up ( and set to auto back up thereafter to a “cloud” service if possible, then if you DO lose your phone you simply turn on your replacement phone, install the last saved back up file from your old phone and you’re good to go again (almost) as if you hadn’t lost your phone in the first place.

I realise for the less technically minded people this may sound a little daunting but it’s hinestky quite simple to do and if you can’t manage it maybe get a younger friend to help with that as i know after losing my own phone in Bali that to loose ALL contacts, emails, flight confirmation number log ins not to mention all your Grindr app messages etc ( god forbid) can be a REAL problem when away and all of that can be avoided with a second phone and a simple backed up cloud file to hand.

15. User who gave Like to post:

paborn (April 24th, 2018)

Liked

Mine works just fine in thailand. I’m using T Mobile. Unlimited data. By slowed to 2g speed when in Thailand. Still not bad