Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: google and getting around

Liked

google and getting around

I've been trying to post an image of a map I got from google as ann illustration but I simply don't know how. The issue is this, I'm making an appeal for understanding about people asking questions. You may jump to a conclusion and assume that a poster is "lazy", "ignorant", not even willing to google , etc. I've read all this comments - from I hasten to add - people with vast knowledge who could simply answer. I have never been to Tukcom and , although I want to visit the massage places that, reportedly, are near it ; finding them, is very hard.
    I just googled Tukcom again, the maps I get some it, but show only the names of some roads - even second road is not labled, much is in Thai, etc. Boyztown is certaily not, So i hope I pick the right unlabled soi to get to the unlabled road to walk over. I pray each night for taxis to appear in Pattaya.

If anyone has some massage shop recommendations and can give instructions or a website I would appreciate it - but, the main reason for this post is a cry for unity and understanding. When you live part of the year, or all year in a place it is all too easy to assume that the rest of us are either lazy or inept. I assure you I spend hours looking before asking. Fact is googling " route from Ambience to gay massage shop near tukcom is a good deal harder then many think. You do it because you look at these unlabled sois and KNOW what they are
    Have a heart guys

2. User who gave Like to post:

christianpfc (April 24th, 2018)

Liked

Re: google and getting around

I want to add something I just found. When using google maps, the plain maps and the satellite maps have different labels. In the case above the map view had little information, the satelite gave - not all - but, more names and even locatesd boyzboyzboyz. So, just check both it's helping me.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

?? Without meaning to cheeky ...... why not just type in “Tuk Com”to goggle maps and then literally follow the map as it walks you there “live” ? Very easy to do and once you’ve the journey loaded up you don’t need phone signal etc as your phones GPS will handle that for you from there.

You know, follow the blue dot thing as you move it moves and you can see on its map when to turn etc.

I use that almost permanently when in a new place and it gets me to where I need to be 99% of the time perfectly well.

I think google maps must be one of the best inventions in the last 20 years and I’d be lost without it these days if having to start trying to reading maps again etc, plus it’s also great for finding venues just from their names etc. Give it a go maybe.

5. 3 Users gave Like to post:

a447 (April 23rd, 2018), christianpfc (April 24th, 2018), paborn (April 23rd, 2018)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Nirish guy View Post
    ?? Without meaning to cheeky ...... why not just type in “Tuk Com”to goggle maps and then literally follow the map as it walks you there “live” ? Very easy to do and once you’ve the journey loaded up you don’t need phone signal etc as your phones GPS will handle that for you from there.

You know, follow the blue dot thing as you move it moves and you can see on its map when to turn etc.

I use that almost permanently when in a new place and it gets me to where I need to be 99% of the time perfectly well.

I think google maps must be one of the best inventions in the last 20 years and I’d be lost without it these days if having to start trying to reading maps again etc, plus it’s also great for finding venues just from their names etc. Give it a go maybe.
    That sounds like a good idea. But, I'm exploring better phone plans many American plans are in the dark ages. Roaming charges are huge so I turn off celluar data when traveling outside the US - this - I believe eliminates this GPS process. I use only the wifi at the hotel. When I say the celluar roaming charges are they can be huge, thousands if you have notifications turned on for apps you use at home. If there is a way out of this I would love to know - I see that your saying you can load it and the GPS takers over -- without data roaming????

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by paborn View Post
    That sounds like a good idea. But, I'm exploring better phone plans many American plans are in the dark ages. Roaming charges are huge so I turn off celluar data when traveling outside the US - this - I believe eliminates this GPS process. I use only the wifi at the hotel. When I say the celluar roaming charges are they can be huge, thousands if you have notifications turned on for apps you use at home. If there is a way out of this I would love to know - I see that your saying you can load it and the GPS takers over -- without data roaming????
    I just google this and I'm reading how to use it with my iphone - thank you so much. You know this does support my general point - it's hard to google something you know nothing about. But in the case of maps, I suspect this will be a huge difference. !!!

Liked

1 The obvious thing to do is to buy a Thai SIM card, with data & pop it into your phone. Tape your home SIM to something safe, so you do not lose it. As I suspect you're not an IT expert, go to one of the True shops & get them to sort everything out for you.

2 OR: Switch data off when overseas. Examine the maps of the areas you want to visit whilst on wifi. Then they will be saved into the phone's cache, so you can view the maps when out and about without using any data.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

I believe that your GPS shpuld still work perfectly well even with your cellular data switched off and at no further cost to you as I too have made that mistake before and ended up with some ridiculous bills at the end of a holiday.

Maybe try a quick two minute walk around the block just to ease your mind as you should be able to either see data used or reset your data measure to zero and see from there then.

Liked

Just a follow up. I watched some you tube videos to make sure I understood how to do this and it works perfectly in my area. I then tried to download a map of pattaya and it came back with this area not avaialbe due to contractual limitations, language support , etc I don't know if this is an American data issue or not. I tried London, Vienna, Mexico city - no problem .But, nothing in Thailand. I have to look into this. Are you using a Thai sim card perhaps??? Just guessing I'm somewhat technically illiterate

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Paborn not sure if you’re addressing that to me or not but if so I’ve used both options in the past and both the Thai sim and UK sim both worked the same.
    I believe even a US Sim should be able to give you a full google maps map ok without restriction as basic dally you’re either connected to the internet or your not.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Nirish guy View Post
    Paborn not sure if you’re addressing that to me or not but if so I’ve used both options in the past and both the Thai sim and UK sim both worked the same.
    I believe even a US Sim should be able to give you a full google maps map ok without restriction as basic dally you’re either connected to the internet or your not.
    I will explore this - but on the verizon sim card I'm using Thailand is grayed out with a note that this region is not available. I wonder if other US users would please chime in if they have any practical knowledge of this. Thanks