Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bali

Liked

Re: Bali

Hi guys,

has anyone visited Bali in their wet season? Just wondering if the area around Dhyana Pura / the gay bars floods making walking around the area difficult / inconvenient?

Thanks

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Yes been there then and without meaning to sound smart but depending on whether it's raining or not yes it can do.

If you mean just walking about the shops in the day time etc when it starts raining then aside from getting wet and a bit dirty maybe the footpaths are still all walkable etc, so when not raining or raining lightly it's fine. But when it starts raining hard ( which it does !) I've also had to stand just inside the doors of Bali Joes bar while watching a motorcycle almost getting washed away down the street from outside the bar in a small flood river that developed ( on the road) seemingly within minutes of the rains starting. Saying that as that happened at around 11pm the bar WAS still open so it was more just a case of going back in and relaxing and have a beer or two more for an hour or so to let the heaviest rains pass and then it was no problem finding a safe way home and walking around was certainly was still an option ( albeit a damp one) but if you're infirm on your feet or whatever then yes I guess you'd want to take a bit of extra care there maybe.

There are of course still many taxi's which sit outside the bars etc and could move you around safely but like everything once it starts raining they do get a bit harder to hail. But in short whilst it can be "wet" it certainly wouldn't stop me from going there if that's when I needed to go.

Actually the only thing that pissed me off about the HEAVY rains in rainy season there was when trying to organise a shag to my room as normally in Bali it's one click online and someone is at your hotel within 15 minutes or less maximum however if one speck of rain starts and then that terrible disease that apparently all Asians are born with where they know they'll just melt if they get wet kicks in and so it seems then that they couldn't POSSIBLY go out the door until the rains stop ! But aside from that I wouldn't let it stop you.

Liked

We have decided to hire a villa, and I have booked it with Airbnb.

The hotels worked out more expensived that the villa.

As there are three of us going to Bail, it worked out cheaper that 3 rooms in a hotel.

Those hotel wanted over £1000 each per person, per room for 14 nights. The 3 x king size bedrooms villa cost much cheaper, so it's a win win. And we have more privacy etc.

The villa is only 9 minutes drive to the bars (walking 20 minutes) and 15 minutes drive to the beach. The villa is brand new and so nice, we don't mind staying a bit out. And taxis are cheap. Also Uber is there. To good an opportunity to miss.

I thought about staying at The Primera Hotel, but all the Standard and Deluxe rooms don't have fridges in the rooms. Only the Junor Suites.

Primera Hotel Seminyak, Managed by Accorhotels

Dear Sir,

Warmest Greetings From Primera Hotel Seminyak, Managed by Accorhotels...

Thank you for your email,
    Kindly we inform you that the fridge only available only at our Junior Suite room.

We hope above information will meet your requirement..

Best Regards,

Forum's veteran
    Liked

A villa is a great idea in Bali if as you've said you've enough people to use it - I rented one on my own before and it ended up too much as there were that many guys coming and going I think the locals thought a local drug dealer had moved in or something ! Acyually I've stayed in the Primera Hotel there and in that very junior suite you mention, so yeah, maybe best to go the villa route ! lol

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Nirish guy View Post
    Yes been there then and without meaning to sound smart but depending on whether it's raining or not yes it can do.

If you mean just walking about the shops in the day time etc when it starts raining then aside from getting wet and a bit dirty maybe the footpaths are still all walkable etc, so when not raining or raining lightly it's fine. But when it starts raining hard ( which it does !) I've also had to stand just inside the doors of Bali Joes bar while watching a motorcycle almost getting washed away down the street from outside the bar in a small flood river that developed ( on the road) seemingly within minutes of the rains starting. Saying that as that happened at around 11pm the bar WAS still open so it was more just a case of going back in and relaxing and have a beer or two more for an hour or so to let the heaviest rains pass and then it was no problem finding a safe way home and walking around was certainly was still an option ( albeit a damp one) but if you're infirm on your feet or whatever then yes I guess you'd want to take a bit of extra care there maybe.

There are of course still many taxi's which sit outside the bars etc and could move you around safely but like everything once it starts raining they do get a bit harder to hail. But in short whilst it can be "wet" it certainly wouldn't stop me from going there if that's when I needed to go.

Actually the only thing that pissed me off about the HEAVY rains in rainy season there was when trying to organise a shag to my room as normally in Bali it's one click online and someone is at your hotel within 15 minutes or less maximum however if one speck of rain starts and then that terrible disease that apparently all Asians are born with where they know they'll just melt if they get wet kicks in and so it seems then that they couldn't POSSIBLY go out the door until the rains stop ! But aside from that I wouldn't let it stop you.
    Thanks Nirish, haha yes, I realise it was a bit of a subjective / open-ended question!

My main concern is navigating home after a big night on the beers / whisky, and not getting caught-out and possibly having to wade through knee-deep water when co-ordination at that time of the night / morning can be difficult enough already. I had some rather irksome journeys home in the early hours when I was in Bangkok / Phnom Penh last September as a result of some street-flooding and would be keen to avoid / minimise that again if possible. Yes, I guess a taxi would be the simplest solution, but I generally prefer to walk if possible (especially after a few) and often at those times the simplest solutions don't always seem to come to mind so easily!

But yeah, will be going regardless, just wanted to get an idea of what I was possibly in for!

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Alas I share your propensity for doing usually the least obvious / smart thing re getting home when drunk, but for sure 100% a taxi is the way to go - complete with as many number of more than friends that you and your Villa sharing friends can get to join you - actually if an nice villa perhaps think even of organising a little pool party for the guys in the afternoons, I attend an organised and pre advertised pool party cum orgy there once where in the end a ton of asian guys turned up ( I'm guessing paid by the organiser) and only myself and I think one or maybe two other bule (white guys) arrived - it was one hell of a night I'll never forget, especially thanks to two Chinese genuine twin brothers ( and several others who joined us) - still makes me toes curl to this day thinking about it and certainly leaves Bangkok etc a mere shadow in Bali's wake that night anyway, Enjoy !

*note to self - time I started thinking about a trip to Bali in July again perhaps !

Liked

Note to self - definitely time I started thinking about a trip to Bali!

Forum's veteran
    Liked

for airfares: as Chin. NwYr is mostly also in/around febr, this may push prices way up for all EUR-Asean flights. There simply is no easy rule for when fares ''are lowest/best''-it differs per airline, per season, per class of service. But the diff. will mostly be well under 100 gbp/eur anyway-so just book (from around 4/.5 monthes advance) when they seem best, certainly when your days/travel window is short and fixed. OR if really into the game of saving amap- use skyscanner and set up an alarm for any promotions (maybe airlines open new routes-that usually means low intro-fares).
    SQ is also very good and usually does not show up in the normal comparers.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Blacktouch View Post
    The villa is only 9 minutes drive to the bars (walking 20 minutes) and 15 minutes drive to the beach. The villa is brand new and so nice, we don't mind staying a bit out. And taxis are cheap. Also Uber is there. To good an opportunity to miss.
    [/B][/I]
    Just so you know, Uber sold out to Grab a couple of months ago so Uber is not available in Asia since April. Grab works on the same principle and has an app although you may need to wait until you're in Asia to download it (or use a VPN). Bluebird also has an app and they will always use a meter so no hassle with bargaining like with the other 'Blue' taksi. Minimum fare using the app is 30,000.

Liked

When my partner and I went to Bali three years ago on three days we used a tour guide and he was brilliant.
    He is late 30s or early 40s, fluent in French and English and will plan anything from strenuous hiking trips, tours over several days to one day trips to see the touristy things.
    He is gay but very straight so we were very comfortable in his company.

I am new on here so if anyone is interested in contacting him I would have to work out how to send a private message

11. User who gave Like to post:

a447 (July 5th, 2018)