I don't think that it was much hyped, just surprisingly popular, and award winning. It was based on the first novel by a an excellent author Andre Aciman. I remember being touched in the book by the power of the obsession that the young protagonist had for the older man, and also thinking that it could never be made into a movie, because the age difference in the relationship would leave the film too open to suggestions of an improper relationship.

It's very positive therefore that this film has been able to be made and that the relationship has been accepted by most, particularly as if anything the age differential has been amplified in the movie through the casting.

I can understand why an old cynic who doesn't believe in the universal possibility of romance would not find this film enjoyable. The screenplay writer, and oscar winner for that, was disappointed that there was no frontal nudity, perhaps that would have spiced it up for the cynics.

Love Simon, I believe, is not in CMBYN's class at all, but will appeal to an even wider market. It's not so long ago that the only films dealing with homosexuality were portraying it as a problem, then there were the gay Aids films that followed, so it's great that there are now and increasingly films in which homosexuality is just homosexuality.