Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: Call me by your name

Banned
    Liked

Call me by your name

I watched this much-hyped gay "coming of age" film recently and can see why the trendy left heteros like it so much. Its basic premise is that young gays discover their sexuality in a thoroughly tasteful and romantic way. See, they're just like heteros. It's the same theme as Bareback Mountain (which I could only watch for 20 minutes before throwing up). One of my gay friends claimed to have been in tears for the whole second half of the movie and a total emotional wreck by the end. More fool him.

On the upside, I'll never look at a peach the same way again.

2. User who gave Like to post:

StevieWonders (April 16th, 2018)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: Call me by your name

Or the next gay movie to follow on after that one - Love Simon - equally vomit inducing I'm guessing, however I guess we should be pleased at some level that said movies ARE now being shown in run of the mill cinema chains as even 5 years ago I dont think that would have been the case as Brokeback only slipped in there as it almost looked like a cowboy movie until you actually watched it perhaps.

4. User who gave Like to post:

Forum's veteran Brad the Impala's Avatar
    Liked

I don't think that it was much hyped, just surprisingly popular, and award winning. It was based on the first novel by a an excellent author Andre Aciman. I remember being touched in the book by the power of the obsession that the young protagonist had for the older man, and also thinking that it could never be made into a movie, because the age difference in the relationship would leave the film too open to suggestions of an improper relationship.

It's very positive therefore that this film has been able to be made and that the relationship has been accepted by most, particularly as if anything the age differential has been amplified in the movie through the casting.

I can understand why an old cynic who doesn't believe in the universal possibility of romance would not find this film enjoyable. The screenplay writer, and oscar winner for that, was disappointed that there was no frontal nudity, perhaps that would have spiced it up for the cynics.

Love Simon, I believe, is not in CMBYN's class at all, but will appeal to an even wider market. It's not so long ago that the only films dealing with homosexuality were portraying it as a problem, then there were the gay Aids films that followed, so it's great that there are now and increasingly films in which homosexuality is just homosexuality.

Banned
    Liked

I certainly wouldn't have minded being touched ... or actually touched up, by either of the protagonists. Besides, in the story the age difference is only a few years, not the standard forty or fifty years with which we on this forum are more familiar.

7. User who gave Like to post:

No Platformed
    Liked

Yes, my gay fiction preference is along the lines of "His pert nipples responded to the light caress of my fingers ...". Oh damn, I must get a tissue.

9. User who gave Like to post:

dab69 (October 3rd, 2018)

No Platformed
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Nirish guy View Post
    Or the next gay movie to follow on after that one - Love Simon - equally vomit inducing I'm guessing
    The youngish male lead looks like wank fantasy material from the promos.

Liked

I saw CMBNYN and liked it - Chalemet is an extraaordinary young talent. I think, however, that the real amazement for me was the lack of a roaring reaction from the religious right in the U.S.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by paborn View Post
    the real amazement for me was the lack of a roaring reaction from the religious right in the U.S.
    actually I was more amazed that the peach growers association couldn't find an Anita Bryant

bkkguy