Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Robin Hood Tavern

Liked

Re: Robin Hood Tavern

Quote Originally Posted by catawampuscat View Post
    . . . it’s a British sports bar with an entirely straight crowd. Live music both times I went and very loud and crowded. Female waitresses.
    That says all we need to know, catawampuscat. And, I thought as much after looking at their website.

It's typical of the sort of ghastly place a certain type of straight British tourist goes to on the Spanish Costas and the very type I come to Thailand to avoid. They are the unspeakably awful sort of places that are best avoided, especially by any self-respecting gay sex tourist. Ooops . . . sorry TaoR, I meant, any self-respecting gay cultural exchange ambassador.

Liked

Thanks I now know where it is The name through me out a bit.
    Have seen it ,unimpressed from the outside, similar to other Sports bars.
    Wombat : an Australian marsupial that eats,roots and leaves

Forum's veteran
    Liked

I just don't do "Sports" Bars...of any sort!

4. User who gave Like to post:

a447 (April 15th, 2018)

No Platformed
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by gerefan2 View Post
    I just don't do "Sports" Bars...of any sort!
    Not even Balls Sports Bar in Soi Twilight?

Liked

I certainly lament the closing of Palmers as well as Oscar's in Boyztown as they both provided familiar British style treats for me and my friends on Sunday nights. Palmers used to serve traditional Sunday roasts with all the trimmings to perfection, including Yorkshire puddings and properly roasted potatoes. My favourite choice of meat was lamb and worth the extra price. Oscar's provided a delightful after dinner drink of tea, which used to come in a pot for two cups. The bonus there was a front row seat for the BoyzBoyzBoyz lineup in the street at 9pm. All of this tasty, charming and exciting experience is sadly no more with Palmers and Oscar's closing and BBB stopping their lineups.
    Now the challenge is to find a suitable replacement, essentially for the Sunday roast dinner. Robin Hood Tavern is currently fitting the bill, but it just isn't the same as Palmers. I don't go for the "all you can eat" offering, but have the modest, but satisfying regular plated meal at 199Bt. It's good value and enough for me, including Yorkshire pudding, pigs in blankets (chippolatas wrapped in bacon), mashed and roast potatoes, cauliflower cheese, carrots, peas, stuffing and gravy. I like roast lamb (at 40bt extra), but I found it tasteless, being only medium (/rare) cooked. They don't cook it any other way! I now have the roast beef and find it satisfactory. The roast potatoes are dissapointing, being cut into small portions rather than just four quarters, and resting in a large tray for serving they become soggy rather than crunchy. It is a "sports bar" with many TV screens around the place, but when I go (7.30pm on Sundays) the sound is turned down and we have no trouble talking while eating. We don't have any trouble finding a vacant table to sit while ignoring the screens. The general noise level at the time we go is fine for a large bar with many customers. It's an alternative to the excellent Palmer's, but I'm still looking for a restaurant/bar that offers the same quality.
    The photos attached are of the Sunday roast dinners at Palmers (first) and Robin Hood Tavern (second).
    Last edited by ChrisUK; April 16th, 2018 at 17:11. Reason: remove photobucket signature

7. 2 Users gave Like to post:

arsenal (April 16th, 2018), colmx (April 17th, 2018)