Quote Originally Posted by DaveyJonesLocker View Post
It is already happening. Air New Zealand offers Economy fares on at least some of its international routes that are "basic seat, no meal". Food is available for purchase on board from a limited menu. The larger the plane the more difficult the logistics become, with passengers scattered throughout the Economy cabin some having bought fares "with meal" and others not. As well, budget airlines such as Air Asia and Jetstar have standard Economy fares between Australia and Asia that allow you to purchase selected food in advance (when you buy the ticket) or on board (restricted menu) but do not have "meal included" as a ticket option as far as I know.
I've flown with Air Asia a few times, and once with Jetstar and have had to purchase our meals beforehand. Its the same with the UK budget airline "Easyjet" where you can buy snacks (not snakes) on board. Same for Ireland's "Ryanair".

But for the big airlines flying to Bangkok from the West and other Countries, like BA, Qatar, Emirates and Thai etc, I wonder when the time will come when they start charging for meals (pre booked).