Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Airline Food

Liked

Re: Airline Food

Quote Originally Posted by DaveyJonesLocker View Post
    It is already happening. Air New Zealand offers Economy fares on at least some of its international routes that are "basic seat, no meal". Food is available for purchase on board from a limited menu. The larger the plane the more difficult the logistics become, with passengers scattered throughout the Economy cabin some having bought fares "with meal" and others not. As well, budget airlines such as Air Asia and Jetstar have standard Economy fares between Australia and Asia that allow you to purchase selected food in advance (when you buy the ticket) or on board (restricted menu) but do not have "meal included" as a ticket option as far as I know.
    I've flown with Air Asia a few times, and once with Jetstar and have had to purchase our meals beforehand. Its the same with the UK budget airline "Easyjet" where you can buy snacks (not snakes) on board. Same for Ireland's "Ryanair".

But for the big airlines flying to Bangkok from the West and other Countries, like BA, Qatar, Emirates and Thai etc, I wonder when the time will come when they start charging for meals (pre booked).

Liked

In general, Business Class food is certainly a step up from Economy Class. There's literally more elbow room, while the food is usually much better quality, as well as being served rather more elegantly on china crockery and with proper cutlery. The selection of drinks is of better quality too.

If travelling in Economy, I tend to refuse all food and anything more than a single drink. In that situation the 20 minutes or so when everyone else is penned in their seats by the tray table also offers a great opportunity to use the lavatory facilities without the need to queue.
    "The fruits of peace and tranquility... are the greatest goods... while those of its opposite, strife, are unbearable evils. Hence we ought to wish for peace, to seek it if we do not already have it, to conserve it once it is attained, and to repel with all our strength the strife which is opposed to it. To this end individual[s]... and in even greater degree groups and communities are obliged to help one another... from the bond or law of human society." [Marsilio dei Mainardini (c.1275-1342), Defensor Pacis]

3. User who gave Like to post:

snotface (April 12th, 2018)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Marsilius View Post
    In general, Business Class food is certainly a step up from Economy Class. There's literally more elbow room, while the food is usually much better quality, as well as being served rather more elegantly on china crockery and with proper cutlery. The selection of drinks is of better quality too.

If travelling in Economy, I tend to refuse all food and anything more than a single drink. In that situation the 20 minutes or so when everyone else is penned in their seats by the tray table also offers a great opportunity to use the lavatory facilities without the need to queue.
    I've flown a few Business Class flights from London to Prague during the good old days. The service was much better/nicer than Economy.

I've always wanted to fly Business Class long hoult to like Thailand or any other long distance. I will treat myself one day.

I am with Lufthansa Miles and More frequent flyer program and saving my miles for the big one "First Class" for a once in a life time trip!

Liked

I'm surprised some character ala Beachlover or bruce_nyc hasn't popped into this thread to explain how they only fly private charter jets where they relax on a nice leather sofa, and enjoy food cooked by a personal chef who has 6 Michelin stars.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Asia Traveler View Post
    I usually fly United Polaris Business from USA. The food for my taste is unpredictable. Sometimes great sometimes terrible. On my last flight to Japan the FA saw I did not eat the food and replaced it with another selection which I did eat. After getting a tip on Flyer Talk Forum United Polaris thread I now always order the fish which is consistently good (so far).
    APA. American Presidential Airlines, Economy menu: Cock-a-leekie Soup (courtesy of Lewinsky's Bar, Pattayaland Soi 1); American Pie; Fries a Jolly Good Fellow; Potatoes of Mash Destruction; Iraq of Ribs, Condoleeza rice and Milk Sheikh, followed by a selection of tweets.

Ingredients Warning: Like the proverbial squirrel, this menu contains nuts and is prepared and packaged at Neasden's Pretzel Factory, under the watchful eye of the C.E.O., Herr Heimlich Manoeuvre.

We accept Visa Card, Mastercard, American Distress, and the Trump Card.

7. 2 Users gave Like to post:

gerefan2 (April 12th, 2018), splinter1949 (April 12th, 2018)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Marsilius View Post

IF you have an aisle seat

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by mr giggles View Post
    IF you have an aisle seat
    When flying on any flights, I always pre book an aisle seat during online check-in.

Easy to go toilets, stretch my legs, first to get up to get bag from overhead compartment and get off plane. And of course, better view.
    Last edited by Blacktouch; April 15th, 2018 at 15:40.

Liked

Most of us..or at least me..fly economy because we can not afford a business or first class ticket. Cheaper flight but it comes at the cost of less room and poorer service - including food service. It is the trade off. I know people who are so fussy about food they prepare their own meals prior to flying. Basically they pack a picnic for their flight.

For me food is what you eat. Food is nice and I like to cook but it is food.
    I focus on other things that are important to me.

I am amazed at people who bore me into a catatonic drool as they describe the details of their dining experiences, complete with self referential digressions comparing one meal to another including the level of service they received at some dining establishment.

I feel the same way about airline food. It is just food. I can not afford to fly business or first class, and I do not want to spend hours making my own special meal for my flight so I eat what is presented. On my trips to Thailand I think of it as the misery before the ecstasy. The shared misery with my fellow travelers so that when I get off the plane I am ready for some fun, relaxation, a bit of masaman curry or papaya salad etc. and the adventure that is the LOS.
    Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one, and they all stink.

11. 6 Users gave Like to post:

bobsaigon2 (April 15th, 2018), Brad the Impala (April 16th, 2018), christianpfc (April 24th, 2018), colmx (April 15th, 2018), Nirish guy (April 16th, 2018), Smiles (April 15th, 2018)

Liked

I'm pretty much with kittyboy, and can't afford business. Technically I can, but realistically spending an extra ~$3000 for a little more comfort on a 20 hour journey seems a bit of a waste.

I think from here on in, I'll just do what I did last time. Don't really sleep for 4 or 5 days, then hop on the airplane. You get woken up a few times here and there, but are so exhausted you can be back sleeping in about 10 minutes again. Makes the flight seem quite a bit shorter.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by cdnmatt View Post
    I'm pretty much with kittyboy, and can't afford business. .you get woken up a few times here and there
    ....buy one of these.
    Attached Images Attached Images

14. User who gave Like to post:

francois (April 16th, 2018)