Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Latest information about Soi Twilight in Bangkok

Liked

Latest information about Soi Twilight in Bangkok

What is the latest information about when Soi Twight will be closed? By when will the bars and other venues have to close? Which bars have found new locations and will continue their business?

I, for one, will certainly miss the place. I have visited the soi at least several times during each of my many visits to Bangkok. I have enjoyed having a drink and watching the crowds in the early evening. I have also had many great offs from bars on the soi, particularly Dream Boys.

Liked

Re: Latest information about Soi Twilight in Bangkok

There’s not much information on this forum about developments in ‘Soi Twilight’, werner. But there is a 5 page topic over on Gaybutton Thai forum entitled, Soi Twilight to be Demolished in June/July for Redevelopment?

See the link below, which I hope works.

http://gaybuttonthai.com/viewtopic.p...5f7371e#p86083

The idiom, make hay while the sun shines is, I believe, particularly apposite.

3. User who gave Like to post:

arsenal (March 31st, 2018)

Liked

I could not care less if they shut the whole area down. The owners have gotten too greedy and abuse us as customers.

5. 2 Users gave Like to post:

arsenal (March 31st, 2018), christianpfc (April 7th, 2018)

Banned
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by marti View Post
    I could not care less if they shut the whole area down. The owners have gotten too greedy and abuse us as customers.
    Isn't that what capitalism is about? Charge the maximum price you believe the market will bear? Or do you believe that owners of gay businesses should be running them as some kind of charity?

Liked

Certainly not as a Charity.
    But with reasonable prices and some appreciation for our patronage.
    Do not think that is asking too much.
    Of course we can always vote with our feet. And open our wallets at some other bar.
    Koon kit teung pom mai??

Liked

"reasonable" is relative.

And as for any "appreciation", I doubt they take that into consideration as they know that the vast majority of visitors won't be back again.

Voting with your feet only works if there are no other feet. Unfortunately, there are more than enough Chinese feet to keep the business going. Well, Dreamboys, at least.

If the other bars in the soi had any business sense they'd look at Dreamboys' prices and go a lot lower. Instead, they try to match the prices but do not offer the quality show or the sheer number of boys that Dreamboys does. Their prices do not reflect what they offer.

It will be interesting to see what happens if and when the bars have to move elsewhere. Will the Chinese be willing to move from a well-known and open gay area like Soi Twilight and wander down dark sois in Silom looking for a gay bar?

Liked

I don't visit the bars on soi Twilight, the shows...so boring and uncomfortable with Chinese straight tourists all over the shows...cannot stand it...

Liked

Voting with your feet. I just turn on my Blued and Jack’d and run my own show in the comfort of my humble room

11. 2 Users gave Like to post:

a447 (April 3rd, 2018), christianpfc (April 7th, 2018)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by DaveyJonesLocker View Post
    Isn't that what capitalism is about? Charge the maximum price you believe the market will bear? Or do you believe that owners of gay businesses should be running them as some kind of charity?
    Far too many gay establishments charge way too much. This is what we call the "Pink Pound".

The owners say/think "they are gay, and have disposable income, so let's rip them off". But we gay people are so silly, we still surport these businesses, even though they charge us more than a straight business will charge it's customers.

13. User who gave Like to post:

christianpfc (April 7th, 2018)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Dimsumbear View Post
    Voting with your feet. I just turn on my Blued and Jack’d and run my own show in the comfort of my humble room
    I agree. If I walk in to a go go bar, if the drinks prices are way OTT, I just have one drink and leave.

If the prices are reasonable, then I stay and have more drinks. So I guess it makes good business sense to charge a reasonable price (without doing yourself in) and you are likely to make more money because customers are staying and buying more drinks. Just like Winner Go Go Bar in Pattaya. Their prices are very reasonable, hence the reason it's always busy and customers stay and buy more than one drink.

15. 2 Users gave Like to post:

a447 (April 3rd, 2018), christianpfc (April 7th, 2018)