List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taxi ride from hell!.....airport hassles....on my departure day from Thailand.

Liked

Taxi ride from hell!.....airport hassles....on my departure day from Thailand.

After a near month's long trip the Thailand for once there had been no calamities, no close shaves, no real hassles.....ok, maybe a couple minor things, but nothing that had me in fear for my well-being or extreme annoyance but both waited until my departure day before coming forth.

We checked out of Tarntawan Apartments at the 'shock to the system' time of 8am. Flight at 11.30am I like to have a safe margin of error. Reception lad headed out to hail cab for airport as we have done so many times over last few years as it's the same KLM/AF flight I always get. Only instruction was...cab with seatbelts and roomy enough for luggage for two as bf goes with me to airport drops me off then usually takes the same cab to the bus station for his trip back to Khon Kaen. As it was a Sunday departure I expected an easy and quick journey to airport. Cab flagged down with meter a 'heavy set' younger Thai guy helped get the luggage in and off we went. Down Surawong Road and veer right at the end onto the toll road with booth. Even on this short part of the trip I am noticing a very very edgy, extremely agitated driver who just couldn't keep still for a second, bf is right behind him so hasn't clicked-on yet. Bf hands him the Bt50 for the toll and we then 'take off' screeching up the camber to join the main highway. The driver is getting even more animated, touching rear mirror, then to gear, then to phone, then to radio on, then back to mirror adjust and radio off, it's getting a bit surreal as we are careering along the highway at 130kph, then suddenly down to 70kph, his hands don't stay on the wheel for more than 10 secs at a time, we've hit the taxi driver jackpot! with a guy obviously stoked up on yaa-baa and probably at the end of a 12 hour night shift.

Bf has now finally switched on, usually I have to nag him to fit the seatbelt, why should he need it? he has a lovely amulet blessed by the local monk that should be more than enough precaution, however the belt is clicked in quickly. His grip on my arm actually left marks, I've never seen him so petrified, yaba! he motions with his lips Luckily the highway traffic is light so less vehicles to hit..... with two inside lanes totally empty he decides to go for the outside lane and in behind the only vehicle there, we get closer and closer and closer to the rear of this pickup, we are rattling along and (perhaps exaggeration here as we were sat in the back) but it seemed millimeters from the back of this vehicle, which thankfully finally pulls over into next lane, but even after racing past this vehicle he slows down drastically suddenly. I'm more concerned that he seems obsessed with all the bit's and bobs around the taxi, picks up phone, puts down the phone, back round the mirror, gear stick, wheel, coin change holder, radio etc routine he really didn't stay still for a single second.

All the time you think........i'll just get him to take the next exit drop us off and find another cab, but he knows the destination, knows we have luggage, I'm not keen to see if he gets upset easily, also I need to get to the airport in plenty time, although in this taxi that's certainly not going to be an issue, as it turned out from Silom to airport (about 35km) we were there 8.45am, definitely under 30 minutes, never been there so early. Bf usually takes the same cab to his bus station from the airport.....'I think take new taxi at airport' he whispers...think? I couldn't wait to get to the airport, but even on those last few large bends as you approach departures he took them quite aggressively...that said when he was swerving about sharply he must have been quite skilled as a driver as he never lost control, well certainly of not the vehicle, what was going on in his mind god only knows. Anyway made it to the airport in record time, got the luggage out, bf saw to payment as usual and he said when he went to pay the driver seemed quite normal as if this was a normal regular style 'journey' wished us choek dee for our onwards travel and off he went.

So anyone experienced similar taxi journey's? My previous worst was the last one I ever took with PT Taxis where he spent much of the time on the outside lane at 140kph on his mobile and I had to tell him a few time to slow down etc..

Anyway a blessing that we did arrive so early at airport, it is the busiest I've ever seen it since I started using Swampy. My departure is usually a straightforward non-event. The Q at AF/KLM check-in was enormous even spilling over into the concourse I have never seen that. Fortunately this is where the airline loyalty cards do come into their own as even travelling economy/upgraded economy you can still check-in at business class desks and get a VIP immigration/security pass. Even the business with 4 desks on (there are usually only 2 and no Q) there was still a Q for them. But the worst was over at the VIP departure door, the Q was from the door a right across the front of the check in desks, usually I just walk up in straight through security and immigration in a couple minutes, but there were probably about 100+ in front of me. Factors were probably a later Chinese New Date than last year and throngs of Chinese as it turned out many in the wrong Q and high season which February still is. Added to this was the confusion many had as to which Q to line up in, also at the front many were being let through first as they were in danger of missing flights, in fact I would say there was panic at the door with the agents taking all their time to keep control. There seemed to be many Indian travellers in the crowds as well and like the Chinese and Russians have a tendency to simply push in where they want rather than go the back of the Q.

However as those who didn't have a VIP pass were finally weeded out the Q did go down but still took a full hour to get to immigration. God knows how the 'normal' Q got on as I noticed they were holding back crowds Qing only allowing so many at a time to join the Q for the escalator up to normal departures. A bit of a nightmare to be honest and it also held up our fight departure as while they did wait as long as they could for missing passengers those who didn't make the flight had to have their luggage off loaded. Anyone else with similar experience at end Feb start March when departing? Maybe worth allowing a little 'extra' time to get there.

2. User who gave Like to post:

snotface (March 21st, 2018)

Liked

Re: Taxi ride from hell!.....airport hassles....on my departure day from Thailand.

Yes - I experienced the same in Gran Canaria - the guy drove like Jackie Stewart and actually whooped uncontrollably as he sped along the road to the Yumbo Centre. When we finally emerged shaky-legged from the vehicle he sped off, tyres screeching, with the 10E note proffered for a 4.50E fare.

I posted about it on here and was called a liar

Liked

Re: Taxi ride from hell!.....airport hassles....on my departure day from Thailand.

I once had a driver in Thailand skyping, and another watching a movie!

Banned
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by scottish-guy View Post
    Yes - I experienced the same in Gran Canaria - the guy drove like Jackie Stewart ....
    you mean he drove like a 78 year old?

6. 2 Users gave Like to post:

poshglasgow (March 21st, 2018), scottish-guy (March 21st, 2018)

Liked

I've had a Thai driver chatting away to his wife on a video link.

Me. "Do you love her?"
    Him. "Yes."
    Me. "Do you want to see her again?"
    Him. "Haha, Of course."
    Me. "Then turn off the video link or neither of us will see anyone eccept Buddha."

Liked

I have had drivers fall asleep at the wheel 3 times in Thailand.

One occasion was an early taxi journey to arranyaprathet from pattaya.

My BF usually puts his head down and sleeps on an early taxi journey... But on this occasion myself and farang travelling partner kept telling BF to keep the driver engaged in conversation for the entire journey and make sure he stayed awake as he kept dozing off. This taxi was from "The Limo"

The second time I was alone in the taxi to the airport. Bf had picked up food poisoning and was unfit to travel...
    Twice the car rolled to a stop as the driver fell asleep and took his foot off the accelerator. Thankfully the roads were very quiet! He was from Mr.T Taxi

Can't remember the details of the third time but BF again had to keep the driver awake by making idle chit chat and asking if we could stop for coffee, ostensibly for the BF but I reality to ply the driver with Birdy.

Needless to say both the companies above are officially shitcanned with us!
    Buffalo me die! Send Money!

Liked

Is Mr T Taxi the same as Mr Toom?

Liked

No. I think they are different companies. Both used to be highly recommended here

Nowadays I just take my chances with a meter taxi when arriving in Suvarnabhumi and one from the local taxi kiosk on the way back
    Buffalo me die! Send Money!

Liked

I usually go with Mr Toom, but I always email ahead and ask him to tell his drivers not to use their phones while they are driving.

Liked

I always used to use Mr Toom until one day his driver failed to show at U-Tapao to pick us up. After 30 mins I called Toom and gave him a piece of my mind.

He was very apologetic but I told him I’d never use him again blah blah and made other arrangements.

About 2 days later I realised I’d given him the wrong date