Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Plot Thickens.

Liked

Re: The Plot Thickens.

Thank you for the kind offer that I take up residence as the forum's book reviewer but I must decline due to lack of time. I shall however continue in my present role as restaurant critic par excellence. The usefulness of those reviews (mentioned omly recently) coupled with the lucrative commissions earned makes that my prority. I suggest
    Christian would be the ideal choice.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by arsenal View Post
    Thank you for the kind offer that I take up residence as the forum's book reviewer but I must decline due to lack of time . . .
    Oh, that’s very disappointing news, arsenal. It is however my understanding that ChristianPFC is otherwise engaged at the moment, so he too would not have any free time. Perhaps you could be persuaded to carry on in an ad hoc basis, as and when time permitted. It would be a great pity to lose such talent.

And, given my former occupation, I could not end this message without a gentle reminder that all your very lucrative commission payments, from the restaurants you review, constitute income and therefore are subject to the income tax. Make sure they are included in your tax return, there’s a good fellow.

Believe me, you wouldn’t want to find yourself grassed on by some Australian marsupial with a grudge, would you? Such things do happen, in previous years we used the rather, unpleasant word, ‘informer’ to describe such persons. But these days they are referred to as a, CHIS, i.e. a covert human intelligence source. Now, doesn’t that sound a lot grander and far more pleasant. It's a legal term which is shared with our colleagues serving OHMSS.

3. User who gave Like to post:

arsenal (March 26th, 2018)

Liked

Worry ye not Jellybean. With regards to my taxable restaurant commissions. My solicitor, Mr. A. Blowy-Molten has assured me that this income is classed as charity work due to my administrative duties on this very board. Duties that include arranging meals for the elderly superannuated residents who don't get out much.

5. User who gave Like to post:

Jellybean (March 26th, 2018)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by arsenal View Post
    Worry ye not Jellybean. With regards to my taxable restaurant commissions. My solicitor, Mr. A. Blowy-Molten has assured me that this income is classed as charity work due to my administrative duties on this very board. Duties that include arranging meals for the elderly superannuated residents who don't get out much.
    Ahhhh . . . so you're using the services of old Blowy-Molten are you, arsenal. Forgive me for saying, but he’s well known in revenue circles and is quite the old rascal. If anyone can find a loophole, it’s him.

So you say it is all charity work, do you. Well, who would have known you had a soft side to your character. Spending so much time and effort running a meals-on-wheels service for the most elderly and infirm Pattaya expats and, while you did not mention it directly, due, I suspect, to your ingrained modesty, making arrangements for them to achieve one final crisis before they shuffle off this mortal coil. This is something most of us would consider above and beyond the call of duty.

Such unstinting and selfless charitable work is to be commended and should, in my opinion, be officially recognised. I am therefore minded to put your name forward at the next honours round. Sadly, it is now too late for the Queen's birthday honours, but you may be in with a chance in the New Year honours. Just keep your nose clean in the meantime. We wouldn't want any hint of a public scandal, would we?

7. User who gave Like to post:

arsenal (March 26th, 2018)

Liked

Oh you two!

Talk about laugh - I almost started.

Liked

Why Mr Jelybean the very suggestion that HMQE2 would recognise my efforts is reward in itself and I thank you kindly.

Recently I've introduced the idea of cream teas to the clients and it was well received by the majority. Often overlooked in such a delicate meal is the Victoria Sandwich, Two layers of sweet, soft sponge (Genoise is best) filled with strawberry jam and fresh whipped double cream. Its delicious and can be enjoyed by anyone who fancies a slice.

It's a very simple dish to make and Genoise is virtually fool proof using eggs as the raising agent and very little fat. This makes it light and aerated. Perfect. The jam must be strawberry and preferably homemade although a good quality bought one will suffice. As simple as it is some people cannot understand the idea and want to muck around with it. I recently came across one where a thin layer of gooseberry puree had been used instead of jam. This gave it a bitter and sour taste and was somewhat unpleasant. However we ate around the offending ingredient and continued to enjoy the meal. Happy baking.

10. User who gave Like to post:

Jellybean (March 27th, 2018)

Liked

Why Mr arsenal, how very interesting. I do believe your knowledge of food matters is second to none. It is no surprise to me that you went on to become a world renowned food critic.

Ooooh . . . did that very rude man sitting at the next table just say something? I do believe he is eavesdropping on our conversation. Clearly, standards are dropping in this once very fine establishment if they let characters like him in. Perhaps you could have a quiet word with the proprietor, Mr Moses. We don’t want any riff-raff interloping on our scintillating conversations, do we?

12. 2 Users gave Like to post:

arsenal (March 27th, 2018), francois (March 27th, 2018)

Liked

Indeed not, riff raff are most definitely not welcomed although unfortunately they are tolerated by the good Mr Moses. You'll recognise him if you see him, he's the one writing cheques to keep the whole establishment open including this small but cosy alcove.

However, generous fellows are we and so any and all are welcome to join us for tea and partake of our meagre offerings of gentle repartee, chit chat and friendly gentlemenly topics of interest. No gifts are necessary but a little confiture is always a delight, correctly sweetened of course.

14. User who gave Like to post:

Jellybean (March 27th, 2018)

No Platformed
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Jellybean View Post
    Ahhhh . . . so you're using the services of old Blowy-Molten are you, arsenal. Forgive me for saying, but he’s well known in revenue circles and is quite the old rascal. If anyone can find a loophole, it’s him.
    But is he also advising arsenal whether being a food critic in Pattaya falls under the permissions of his Work Permit? Again, what provisions of the UK-Thailand Double Tax Treaty apply in this case?

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by StevieWonders View Post
    But is he also advising arsenal whether being a food critic in Pattaya falls under the permissions of his Work Permit? Again, what provisions of the UK-Thailand Double Tax Treaty apply in this case?
    Ahhhh . . . well done you StevieWonders. Not many UK tax dodgers are aware that the United Kingdom has Double Taxation Treaties with countries such as Thailand and Vietnam. So any attempts by them to squirrel away their untaxed or ill-gotten income and gains in foreign businesses or property are automatically reported back to the UK tax authorities. And each treaty contains an exchange of information provision, which means further information or documents can and is frequently requested.

But to answer your point directly, StevieWonders, I rather doubt HM Revenue & Customs would be interested if any UK tax resident had a work permit in Thailand. I assume that particular subject would be the sole concern of the Royal Thai Police Immigration Division. But don’t quote me on it.