Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Plot Thickens.

Liked

Re: The Plot Thickens.

Quote Originally Posted by a447 View Post

But I'm guessing the weekly meatloaf evening is more about catching up with friends, rather than enjoying a gourmet meal.
    Exactly, a447. The cost of the meal, 200 Baht, is a pittance, the bonds of friendship are forever. Why some people can't understand this is a mystery.

2. User who gave Like to post:

a447 (March 23rd, 2018)

Liked

Meatloaf is similar to turkey in that it all depends on what's served with it that determines its deliciousness quotient. In this case it's accompanied by chat, gossip and handsome boys. Three of my favourite accompaniments.
    Last edited by arsenal; March 23rd, 2018 at 06:24.

4. User who gave Like to post:

francois (March 23rd, 2018)

Liked

But I'm guessing the weekly meatloaf evening is more about catching up with friends
    well catching something anyway - and I am not saying whether that would be from the staff, the kitchen, or the others at the table - but at least there are some good pharmacies in the area

bkkguy

Liked

Obviously, bbkguy, you are one who understands nothing.

7. User who gave Like to post:

arsenal (March 24th, 2018)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by arsenal View Post
    What is the link between a shadowy, invitation only sub-group of western men based in the nefarious bordello of Pattaya and a full on right wing reactionary regime that used dirty tricks . . .
    Oh, I say! I do like your new avatar, arsenal. Now, if only you could persuade your fellow moderator, a447 to put a little effort into finding his first avatar. Apart from the days when random avatars were allocated to members who did not have a permanent avatar, I don’t believe a447 has had one. I was going to suggest something Australian, like a Koala bear, but I think another member already has that.

One that I think would be particularly apt and quite funny would be a photo of Sir Les Patterson. What do you think a447?

Perhaps we should have a competition of suggestions for avatars for those members who haven’t quite entered the spirit of things by choosing an appropriate icon.

Quote Originally Posted by bobsaigon2 View Post
    Of course. That explains Jellybean's association with the meatloaf group. They needed him to provide a bit of cover to their agenda, someone with panache, gentility, who could easily be convinced to partake of Pattaya's award winning (nominated) Pain de viande.
    Earlier on this week Bob, when I returned to my Bangkok condo from a night out on the sauce, I was yet again surprised to find, as previously mentioned on the Cuisine au Beurre topic, I had received yet another unsolicited gold embossed invitation from the Sunee Plaza Meatloaf Club. It was addressed to J Bean Esquire and inviting me to dinner at the Ting Tong Red Bar the following Thursday. How they managed to track me down in Bangkok and how they knew I would be in Pattaya is quite unfathomable. Their reach would appear to extend far and wide.

I am really not quite sure how I came to the attention of this most exclusive band of Pattaya brothers. As I was saying to one SGT member last night, for years I walked from Boyz Town to Sunee Plaza on my way to Krazy Dragon Bar and Happy Boys Bar and never once stopped to talk to any of the local fa-ràng. In those days I was a man on a mission and would not, under any circumstances, be deflected from my purpose, the pursuit of happiness!

But my time in Pattaya is nearly up and my time out in Thailand is also nearly at an end. And, unfortunately, I shall not be back until at least January 2019. So who knows if and when I shall ever be the honoured recipient of another gold embossed invitation to the Sunee Plaza Meatloaf Club.

. . . But I'm guessing the weekly meatloaf evening is more about catching up with friends, rather than enjoying a gourmet meal.
    That’s also my understanding, a447. Being a Bangkok resident I am certainly no regular at the meatloaf dinners, but on the few occasions I have been invited, I have thoroughly enjoyed the experience. For example, this week I had the pleasure of meeting for the first time some well known members of this forum and the Gaybutton Thai forum.

9. User who gave Like to post:

francois (March 24th, 2018)

Liked

Thank you for your kind comments regarding my avatar. I felt something reflecting my well known status as an English gentleman known to frequent the finest of establishments for gentle recreation was in order.

I hope your hiatus from Thailand will not mean a hiatus from this board. Visiting Thailand has never been a pre-requisite to posting here.

Have an emoji.

11. User who gave Like to post:

Jellybean (March 24th, 2018)

Liked

Of course, using Sir Les Patterson as my avatar has crossed my mind many times. However, I feel I could not possibly live up to his level of cultural understanding and knowledge, especially of all things Asian.

I'm the first to admit that I know absolutely nothing about Asia, and even less about Thailand!

Morefurtherover, the pressure would be on me to emulate his sophistication and elegance, something that I would find impossible to do,

I think Sir Les deserves better from a fellow Australian, and so I have resisted the temptation to cling to his coat tails.

In the meantime, what do you think of this one?

13. User who gave Like to post:

neddy3 (March 25th, 2018)

Liked

. . . In the meantime, what do you think of this one?
    I like it, a447. Is it a Samurai’s helmet? If so, then I can see the connection and why you chose it.

And, to be perfectly honest, a much better avatar than the one I suggested. Perhaps that one would be more appropriate for another forum member?

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Jellybean View Post
    Is it a Samurai’s helmet? If so, then I can see the connection and why you chose it.
    Yes, it is.

But perhaps the connection you see is not the one I see.

Homosexuality was rife among the samurai; it was a normal part of samurai life to have a male lover polish his "helmet" after a hard day's marauding.

Of course, their guys were much younger than the ones I prefer.

BTW, I used to own a genuine samurai helmet and sword from the 1600's but sold them to an American collector a number of years ago - a decision I now regret.

Liked

Yes, it is.

But perhaps the connection you see is not the one I see.

Homosexuality was rife among the samurai; it was a normal part of samurai life to have a male lover polish his "helmet" after a hard day's marauding.

Of course, their guys were much younger than the ones I prefer . . .
    Yes, you are perfectly correct there, a447, not quite the connection I had in mind.

But, having said that, I have just finished reading, Bangkok Tattoo by John Burdett. It was recommended by the forum’s resident book reviewer, arsenal, i.e. when he’s not writing his restaurant reviews. In this, the second book in the series about the Bangkok detective, Sonchai Jitpleecheep, there is a connection to the Samurai. Without revealing too much of the story, there is a Japanese plot line and it was mentioned that homosexuality was rife amongst the Samurai, something I was previously unaware of.

So, not unusually, when I first saw the Samurai helmet, there was just a passing remembrance of that storyline and the reference to the homosexual Samurai, but not the full connection you went on to post about.

But now you have very kindly provided another very handy euphemism to spare the blushes of some of our more, er . . . conservative members. For example:

Hey young chap, me lad! While you’re down there would you mind polishing my helmet?

But in all likelihood, in reply, the young lad would probably and not unsurprisingly say, à-rai-ná? (What did you say?)

So, on second thoughts, better restrict the euphemism for inclusion in our, or more particularly, your, forum trip reports and not for general use when you’re on active duty as a cultural exchange ambassador while in Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Bali, Myanmar, Singapore, Vietnam, Japan, Taiwan . . .

17. 2 Users gave Like to post:

arsenal (March 25th, 2018), TaoR (March 25th, 2018)