Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pesky little critters...

Liked

Re: Pesky little critters...

Count up what your holiday is going to cost (flights, hotel, food, drinks, rentboys, gifts, tips, loss of earnings if employed, loss of business if self-employed).

Draw that money out of the bank in cash

Go on your local gay dating app

Hire local boys until your holiday money is done

No mosquitoes, no airport hassles, no sitting crammed in an aircraft seat for hours on end, no sweating like a pig the minute you step outside, no pushy mamasans

But more seriously - mosquitoes love me even more than I love myself. I have tried everything - sprays, lotions, plug-in insecticide, plug in zappers, wristbands, ankle bands, the electric shock treatment you mention, anti-histamines, hydrocortisone - and nothing works any better that a cheap bottle of SKETOLENE from (I think) Family Mart?? There are two varieties - I think it's the yellow label one that's the more effective.

2. User who gave Like to post:

christianpfc (April 3rd, 2018)

Liked

I couldn’t find the insecticide that plugs into the mains in Thailand. I did buy one in Brazil, so that is what I am bringing for my visit to Isaan.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by arsenal View Post
    When I read the title o of the thread I thought it was about the mods.
    That's certainly what I would of meant had I started the thread.
    (Marsillius however is much more of a gentleman than I.)

To the topic: many folks here buy themselves one of those electric tennis raquets. I have one at the ready.
    The best thing about the raquets is that one can obliterate a few dozen moderators ... oops -- I meant mosquitos ... with a single well-placed swipe. My friend across the soi and I take turns trying for a the most dead bodies with a single serve. We count 'em up over beer and 'moo dat dieou'.
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

5. 2 Users gave Like to post:

arsenal (March 17th, 2018), christianpfc (April 3rd, 2018)

Liked

You can definitely get the plug in insecticide in Thailand and the bonus is it obviously fits their power sockets without an adaptor.

The appliance itself is like a rectangular cage and you slide an insecticide "tablet" through a slot. The tablet which is also rectangular, is usually blue on one side and silver foil on the other. The silver foil side is then heated on the plinth the tablet sits on inside the cage and that's what releases the insecticide into the air.

I have seen liquid versions in other countries where a bottle of liquid insecticide screws on to bottom of the appliance

Banned
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by scottish-guy View Post
    I have seen liquid versions in other countries where a bottle of liquid insecticide screws on to bottom of the appliance
    The liquid version is commonly available in Thailand and has been for the last 10 years or so.....

Liked

Alternatively of course, one could read out loud Matt's life story and simply bore them to death. Haha. Just joking Matt.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

dunno which is worse risk. the short time liability of mosquito borne virus like dengue/zika or the long tern risk of
    breathing insecticide that kills/repels them.

supposedly DEET is approved (almost safe?)as a topical but I dunno about anything sprayed indoors and I am going to be breathing
    even a couple hours later. It just isn't going anywhere and won't be degraded/safe to breathe that soon.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Marsilius View Post
    Any advice will be gratefully received.
    For convenience and portability, try using a mosquito repellent patch. You can stick it to the hem of your shirt, bedroom walls or anywhere else where it's needed. The smell (from eucalyptus if I'm not mistaken) can be quite strong so make sure you don't stick it too close to your face. Lasts for 10-12 hours. A popular brand in Singapore is Tiger Balm (remember to visit the Tiger Balm Gardens or Haw Par Villa if you're here!) but there are other brands too. I think I saw some at Boots.
    Attached Images Attached Images

11. User who gave Like to post:

Eddie (April 2nd, 2018)

Liked

I have found the plug in devices to be unsatisfactory. Although, of course not all may be equally bad.

1 If there is a mosquito problem, my strategy is to spray the room with one of those aerosols just before leaving the room for the day. To minimize my personal exposure, I swiftly retreat to the door whilst spraying & leave.
    2 If there is a single rogue mozzie in the evening, I try to swat it. If that doesn't work, I may apply some citronella spray on myself & the bedding.

Liked

Actually, we got a new toy about a week ago that made me think about this thread. Wasn't quite sure what it was until I played with it today.

Anyway, you can buy these little ping pong paddle sized things. They're electric, with a little button on them. Just told the button down, and wave it around the room. It electrocutes any mosquitos you come in contact with. Seems to help with our house at least.