No, I'm not referring to the boys, but to mosquitos.

I set off for Thailand next week. Normally I book into View Talay 5 or 7 on a high floor where, unless they're brought up in the lifts, mosquitos aren't a problem. This time, however, I'm staying in a hotel's very large ground floor room, quite close to the front door, so I am anticipating encountering quite a few of the little devils keeping me awake and in discomfort at night (no, as I said, I'm not referring to my human overnight guests).

So far I have bought a couple of devices that plug into the mains and release a flow of insecticide (the instructions say to leave them on while you're out of the room). Can anyone advise whether those are going to be effective, or whether something else is a better solution?

I also see that, as well as anti-inflammatory creams, you can now buy some sort of hand-held personal zapper that, applied to the skin, apparently releases some sort of "shock" (is it battery powered?) that neutralises the irritation of the mosquito bite. Has anyone tried one of those? Did it work? It sounds to me as though it's like overkill - the equivalent of making you forget the pain of a minor graze by cauterising it with a red hot iron - but if anyone here finds it effective I'm willing to give it a try.

Any advice will be gratefully received.