Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pesky little critters...

Liked

Re: Pesky little critters...

Quote Originally Posted by cdnmatt View Post
    Actually, we got a new toy about a week ago...
    So you'll be chasing the mosquitoes round the room and battering them to death with a dildo will you?

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by cdnmatt View Post
    Actually, we got a new toy about a week ago that made me think about this thread. Wasn't quite sure what it was until I played with it today.

Anyway, you can buy these little ping pong paddle sized things. They're electric, with a little button on them. Just told the button down, and wave it around the room. It electrocutes any mosquitos you come in contact with. Seems to help with our house at least.
    I assume you have one modified for blind people? how can you roam around the house waving the thing without smashing everything to pieces? Yaaawn...

3. User who gave Like to post:

christianpfc (April 3rd, 2018)

Liked

Here's one I haven't seen before - the mosquitoes in your loom are drawn in and apparently sucked dry until they expire.

I'm sure I read in Pattaya One News about something similar happening between a farang and a ladyboy

goo.gl/DkVMjF

5. 2 Users gave Like to post:

christianpfc (April 3rd, 2018), poshglasgow (March 29th, 2018)

Liked

Actually, spending so much time in Bangkok and living in a high floor apartment building, I rarely encounter mosquitoes these days. Perhaps a couple of times in 10 years a determined little stowaway got into the lift (elevator) and probably hitched a ride on my back, knowing he was in for a scrumptious feast when it got back to my apartment. Luckily, I always have some Boots Bite & Sting Relief to hand. And even today I always carry a tube of it in my rucksack.

When in Pattaya in January and March during this current holiday, I never had any problems with the ‘pesky little critters’, as Marsilius called them. Before heading out at night in Pattaya I sprayed my wrists, elbows and ankles with Boots REPEL Extra Strength containing 50% Deet and never had a problem.

When I lived in Hua Hin, that was a different story entirely. There, I employed the tennis racket type electrocution device to great effect. I used to swing it madly around all parts of the house in the early evening, taking far too much pleasure on hearing the zapping sounds, which indicated another little sod had bitten the dust and was no longer alive to feed on me.

And, like cdnmatt, around sunset, I used to spray the hell out of my bedroom, 3 or 4 hours before I intended using it, after firstly zapping any early risers with my ‘tennis racket’. Happily, there really is no need to spray or use the 'tennis racket' in my apartment in Bangkok.

But the worst place for mosquitoes that I can recall, was a Thai restaurant in Hua Hin, which may be known to Smiles. I speak of, ráan-aa-hăan ma-kăam* (Makkaam restaurant). It was mosquito central, a veritable breeding ground for the little fuckers. No matter what precautions I took, there was always one ingenious and dogged little shit who managed to get through my defences. I remember one time taking my poor sister there and she came away in a terrible state having been bitten several times. I lived to regret it because I never heard the end of it!

The thing is, it was a great eatery and one of the must eat at places to take your visiting friends and family. I wondered if it is still open and checked it out on Google maps and it is still shown. It is located off the Phetkasem Road flyover, near soi 112 on the road heading towards Pran Buri.

And one last thing. When I first started coming to Thailand, almost from day one, I started complaining about the mosquitoes, a fa-ràng friend who had been living in Thailand for many years, advised me to change my soap. I used Dove and still do when back in the UK. But while out in Thailand, I use Protex soap, which, I believe, can readily be purchased at any 7-ELEVEN or Tops Supermarket.

So, dear readers, if you ever find yourself In Hua Hin and you are interested in eating some fine and reasonably priced Thai food, you fancy a challenge and have no fear of those ‘pesky little critters’, then give Makkaam Restaurant a visit.

* ma-kăam = Tamarind

Liked

When going to bed you can keep the mosquitoes away if you train a fan or the air conditioner on your bed. They can't fly into the stream of air.

Taking pleasure in killing insects. Mmmm...isn't that how serial killers start out?

JB, is there something you want to tell us?

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by a447 View Post
    . . . Taking pleasure in killing insects. Mmmm...isn't that how serial killers start out?

JB, is there something you want to tell us?
    Was it my suggestion on Saturday night that we eat liver with fava beans, washed down with a lovely bottle of Chianti that has put this idea in your head, a447? Hmmm . . . I suppose that means you will no longer be having dinner with me on your future visits to Bangkok. I am soooo disappointed. F-f-f-f-f-f-f-f . . .

Seriously though, it is probably a bit too strong to say I have a pathological hated of the little fuckers, but I do intensely dislike them, and have good reason to.

I recall one incident during a 6 week visit to Chiang Mai, which I mentioned on another thread. During a visit to the toilet, in the lunch break, while at the AUA Thai Language School, I believe a mosquito bit me on the knee. I probably used some form of insect bite cream and thereafter ignored it.

A few weeks later when I returned to Hua Hin and resumed my daily visits to the Hilton gym, a fellow regular gym user, an American teaching at a local university, noticed the swollen and discoloured area around my knee. I had not realised that the swelling had increased and that it now looked badly bruised. He recommended that I immediately go to a hospital and have it treated. I may have brushed his advice aside as being slightly over the top. He then told me the harrowing story of a friend of his who had a mosquito bite, which looked very similar to mine. He too had ignored it and ended up in hospital. I forget the details, but the poor guy apparently went downhill very quickly and died. It was so long ago, I do not recall the cause of death. Malaria, encephalitis, sorry I cannot remember.

But the story was so horrific that I went straight to the local hospital after my gym session and was prescribed antibiotics and an anti-inflammatory. Thankfully it cleared up very quickly. But ever since, I have been very wary of being bitten by mosquitoes.

Liked

I believe a mosquito bit me on the knee.
    It could have been a lot worse! LOL

A friend of mine went to Bali about 15 years ago, got bitten by a mosquito on Kuta beach and contracted dengue fever. She was bed-ridden for about 6 months, unable to get out of bed. She had to be fed and bathed by her sister who had to give up her job to take care of her. She still occasionally suffers from the effects of the illness.

Ever since, I take precautions whenever I go there.

Liked

It could have been a lot worse! LOL . . .
    Aye! That’s very true. The thought of being bitten on the trossachs doesn’t bear thinking about and probably brings a tear to the eye to most of our red bloodied and sexually active readers!

. . . Ever since, I take precautions whenever I go there.
    Yes, a very wise decision on your part, if I may so, a447, given your exploits as retold in your very detailed trip reports.

Liked

In my experience even relatively devout Buddhists will happily become unashamed killers when it comes to mosquitoes. But there's an insect museum in Chiang Mai run by an elderly Thai couple who have devoted their lives to mosquito research. When I was there about ten years ago I had a chat with the male half of the partnership. He was wearing a baseball cap and had on a tee shirt with a picture of a mosquito on it. He was clearly dottily attached to the little bleeders. About a dozen types of mosquito have been discovered by him and his wife. He didn't mind if they bit him, happy in fact to give them a nice drink. He even justified their existence to me, though I've forgotten what it was (not convincing enough to prevent me from swatting them whenever they come near me anyway). I walked away from the museum feeling rather reassured to know that such a couple exist. People's obsessions are what help us to expand our knowledge of the natural world.

The museum is still there about halfway along Nimmanhemin Road and has a wide range of fascinating exhibits, not just mosquitoes, but butterflies, moths, beetles, rocks and much more. Well worth a visit if you're in the vicinity. Just don't let the owners see your mozzie spray.

12. User who gave Like to post:

christianpfc (April 3rd, 2018)

Liked

I know mosquitoes don't like air streams, but neither do I!
    These high voltage rackets are great!
    Rarely problems with mosquitoes in rooms, but outside I get bitten occasionally.